Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
f/1.7? Excuse me, but what did you expect? You need to stop the lens down.

PS It looks as if you focused just a bit too far.

Last edited by Giklab; 06-14-2013 at 11:04 AM.
06-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
f/1.7? Excuse me, but what did you expect? You need to stop the lens down.

PS It looks as if you focused just a bit too far.
What about the brush? The image still looks fuzzy. I understand about stoping down, but every review I read about this lens says its sharp wide open, and I've seen samples at 1.7 online that look remarkably better than mine. If the lens is this bad wide open then why even buy fast lenses?
06-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #33

Original Poster
This is the best I could get, image quality wise, at F5, 1/500sec, ISO 500. I've attached the photo and the center 100% crop. I guess I either just suck or this lens is no bueno wide open. My K30 doesn't seem to be too good past ISO800 either, noise-wise.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo   
06-14-2013, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you shoot RAW or JPEG? If JPEG, what is your JPEG settings in camera?

06-15-2013, 03:24 AM   #35

Original Poster
JPEG 16M Fine
06-15-2013, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

If you go into "info", custom image setting(top left), try the "bright" setting, but change the sharp "s" to fine sharp "fs", and see if that makes a difference. You can even increase sharpness further by another 3 or 4 points in the fine sharpness setting, but I would not recommend that...
06-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
If you go into "info", custom image setting(top left), try the "bright" setting, but change the sharp "s" to fine sharp "fs", and see if that makes a difference. You can even increase sharpness further by another 3 or 4 points in the fine sharpness setting, but I would not recommend that...
I have aK30 can't find the fs anywhere. I did change image to bright and that makes the pictures look a bit better thanks!

06-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Test the kit lens as well - at 35mm and 55mm.

For field testing, shoot in bright light (preferably sunlight) at a subject that is nice and contrasty that fills the center circle in your viewfinder. Make sure it is a stationary object, and shoot at 1/500s or faster to ensure that there is no motion blur, and that your natural sway doesn't shift the focus point.

For fine focus testing, there are several focus testing methods on the internet. My preferred method is:

1) Put camera on tripod, aim at contrasty subject that fills center of viewfinder.
2) Set fine focus adjust at 0. Turn off autofocus. Press shutter button halfway and check for focus confirmation (green hexagon).
3) Release shutter button (keep autofocus off, all settings the same), move your fine focus -10um and repeat to check for focus confirmation.
4) Repeat this until you reach the point where the focus confirmation will not work. This is the back focus limit of your lens.
5) Reset the fine focus adjust to 0, and then go the other direction (+10um). This will find your front focus limit.
6) Take the negative and positive value and add together, then divide by 2. This will give you the focus adjustment that centers the lens.

There are multiple other methods, and I have found that they generally come out similarly.
When I do this what do I do with the number I get?
06-16-2013, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmazimoto Quote
I have aK30 can't find the fs anywhere. I did change image to bright and that makes the pictures look a bit better thanks!
Could you try moving the e-dials? On my K-5 it's set via the back dial.
06-16-2013, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

When I do this what do I do with the number I get?
Set that number as your AF fine focus adjustment value, and it should make your lens focus accurately.
06-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Set that number as your AF fine focus adjustment value, and it should make your lens focus accurately.
Thanks I'm trying that today!
06-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Probably not this, but just in case... I used to see this when my wife used my camera. She wasn't pushing the button down halfway to focus first. Pushing it down all the way always left the images a touch out of focus from the excess shake.

Or did the fine focus adjustment fix it?
06-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #43
Veteran Member

If you are in the "Bright" menu, you'll see that the sharpness setting is the bar right at the bottom. If you turn the rear e-dial to the right it will change to Fs "fine sharp" (page 157 of the manual)
06-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Probably not this, but just in case... I used to see this when my wife used my camera. She wasn't pushing the button down halfway to focus first. Pushing it down all the way always left the images a touch out of focus from the excess shake.

Or did the fine focus adjustment fix it?
Not the auto focus, I have the same issue manual focusing. The adjustment didn't fix it either. I took the lens to get checked out at my local camera shop and there's nothing wrong with the lens. The repair man did say the lens was designed for full frame though, and that may be part of the issue I'm experiencing (I have no clue if that's accurate or not). I'm taking my camera in for check up next.
06-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
If you are in the "Bright" menu, you'll see that the sharpness setting is the bar right at the bottom. If you turn the rear e-dial to the right it will change to Fs "fine sharp" (page 157 of the manual)
Thanks man. I adjusted that. I've never seen this it's like the picture has brush strokes (referring to my original sample image). I'm taking my camera in for check up next.