Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #1

K30 Fuzzy Images [Sample Attached]

Good morning everyone.

Im a beginner photographer coming from Sony systems. I love my K30 but lately something has been bothering me. I got a Pentax SMC FA 1.7 50mm lens hoping it would help my indoor, flash-less, photography; but the results have not been good. I first thought it was the lens but same results with the kit lens. The images look blurry when magnified. All setting are stock, except focusin, I chose my own focusing point (third option in AF Active Area). I've tried manual focusin, center focus, auto 5 and auto 9. Same results. Can anyone help me figure this out? I'm going nuts over here.

Thanks in advance

Unretouched JPEG
F2.8
1/80 sec shutter
ISO-1250
Focal Lenght 50mm
Auto White Balance
No flash, shot indoors

Attached Images

06-07-2013, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That looks out of focus. Set your camera on a tripod, turn on liveview, zoom in to the maximum zoom, and manually focus until the zoomed image looks sharp - then take a picture. If that picture is still fuzzy, then post it for us. If that picture is not fuzzy, your autofocus isn't hitting the mark.

As for why the autofocus isn't hitting the mark - there can be multiple reasons. Your lens may need some focus adjustment to be accurate, or it may have some issues with focus.
06-07-2013, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
zoom in to the maximum zoom
I think this was meant 'magnify with the INFO button', not zoom the lens.
06-07-2013, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Yes, I apologize, I should be clear with my terms. Do exactly as Giklab described.

06-07-2013, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome

Can you try that lens on another camera? Also, remove any filters on the lens, they can severely lower the IQ.
One more thing, is the SR (Shake reduction) turned on? Did you dial in the correct number (50mm)? I think the shutter speed, 1/80, is a bit slow for handholding a 50mm lens, unless you have very steady hands. Try with a faster shutter speed, like 1/125. If the shutter speed is too slow, hand-shake can show up in the photo. And if the camera has the wrong FoV dialed into the SR, the SR can actually make the photo look worse, instead of better.
But yes, try manually focusing, even try focus peaking in live view. See if you can get any sharp results at all. The way I like to do that is to use a tripod, turn off AF, set the lens to its MFD (minimum focusing distance) and put it at 45 degrees to a newspaper and use a measuring tape to make sure the newspaper is not quite as far from the sensor as the number on the distance scales, so that the focus point would be somewhere on the newspaper. Then I use the 2sec timer and take a photo.
06-07-2013, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

your autofocus isn't hitting the mark.
I also think that this might be the problem, especially at f2.8 with the thin DOF; I don't think 1/80 on a 50mm lens is too slow for handholding...
06-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
That looks out of focus. Set your camera on a tripod, turn on liveview, zoom in to the maximum zoom, and manually focus until the zoomed image looks sharp - then take a picture. If that picture is still fuzzy, then post it for us. If that picture is not fuzzy, your autofocus isn't hitting the mark.

As for why the autofocus isn't hitting the mark - there can be multiple reasons. Your lens may need some focus adjustment to be accurate, or it may have some issues with focus.
Thank for the quick reply. I will try that right now and post pics.

06-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Noted, thanks!
06-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey, welcome

Can you try that lens on another camera? Also, remove any filters on the lens, they can severely lower the IQ.
One more thing, is the SR (Shake reduction) turned on? Did you dial in the correct number (50mm)? I think the shutter speed, 1/80, is a bit slow for handholding a 50mm lens, unless you have very steady hands. Try with a faster shutter speed, like 1/125. If the shutter speed is too slow, hand-shake can show up in the photo. And if the camera has the wrong FoV dialed into the SR, the SR can actually make the photo look worse, instead of better.
But yes, try manually focusing, even try focus peaking in live view. See if you can get any sharp results at all. The way I like to do that is to use a tripod, turn off AF, set the lens to its MFD (minimum focusing distance) and put it at 45 degrees to a newspaper and use a measuring tape to make sure the newspaper is not quite as far from the sensor as the number on the distance scales, so that the focus point would be somewhere on the newspaper. Then I use the 2sec timer and take a photo.
Sadly I only have one camera No filters used. SR is off, but I will turn on and also post pics. Option to dial in focal lenght is grayed out on this lens, it's available when I use my M42 Takumar though. I will try the tripod method, will post pics.
06-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I also think that this might be the problem, especially at f2.8 with the thin DOF; I don't think 1/80 on a 50mm lens is too slow for handholding...
If this is the problem, is it the camera or the lens? I heard so many good things about this lens before I bought it and it hasn't taken one good, clear pic yet
06-07-2013, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmazimoto Quote
If this is the problem, is it the camera or the lens? I heard so many good things about this lens before I bought it and it hasn't taken one good, clear pic yet
Look at Na Hurok's second paragraph, and try it, it is not abnormal for some slight front or back focus on a lens, and in the settings menu, you can adjust for that (menu=C-22)

EDIT: You can also try this method http://cameralightlens.com/newsblog/?p=264

Last edited by altopiet; 06-07-2013 at 07:44 AM.
06-07-2013, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #12

High ISO, slow (ish) shutter, no shake reduction, no tripod = tough conditions for any camera/lens combo. Is this too demanding a task, or should this combo really do better?
06-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #13

Original Poster
So I took the image below, outside with a wider aperture, faster shutter and lower ISO, looks pretty in focus to me. I took some indoor pics that also came out clear but not on the focus point the camera focused on. That's my initial problem, the fuzziness on the intended focus point. I'm also posting an outdoor shot I did at a high shutter speed, lower ISO so you can see the fuziness is still there (I have to look for the pic). I didn't have a newspaper but I did the test with something that had a lot of color and detail (I guess). Does the K5 have better focusing engine than K30? I am seriously not a happy camper with the K30 at the moment, and this is coming from a Sony A230 with kit lens.

My frustration is, I suck at manual focusing, I found out when I bought a M42 Takumar 1.8. I bought the 1.7 Pentax auto focus due to it's wide aperture and good reviews. I know the lens is soft at 1.7 but from I read at 2.8 it should be sharp. I don't like when I am at my daughters class, with the windows open and sun light coming in, and my iPhone pictures look better when magnified than my "better" K30.

/rantover
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Look at Na Hurok's second paragraph, and try it, it is not abnormal for some slight front or back focus on a lens, and in the settings menu, you can adjust for that (menu=C-22)

EDIT: You can also try this method Checking Your Camera for Front Focus or Back Focus. | Camera Light & Lens Forum – News
Great article thanks!
06-07-2013, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Was this done with manual focus? Do you have a full size image or a 100% crop of that newer shot?