Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #1

question about pentax extended warranty

Hi, earlier this year I bought a K30 from amazon and purchased the pentax 2 yr extended warranty card from Adorama. At the time it didn't say anything about registering anything, just keep for you records, so that's what I did.

This week I ordered a WG-3 from amazon and the optio series 2 yr extended warranty card from B&H. The language on the optio extended warranty card is a little different, it says I have to register the warranty with pentax. Do I have to register the camera as well?

Now, the other question. I read both cards in detail and it says that the cameras must have been purchased from an authorized Pentax dealer. when I go to pentaximaging.com, it lists B&H and Adoroma as authorized online dealers, but not Amazon. Does this mean the extended warranties I bought are no good? Also, I think it said at Adorama that the warranty cards must be purchased within 30 days of the camera purchase, which I did. As long as I maintain the receipts it should be OK? I hope so.

06-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax_wayne Quote
Hi, earlier this year I bought a K30 from amazon and purchased the pentax 2 yr extended warranty card from Adorama. At the time it didn't say anything about registering anything, just keep for you records, so that's what I did.

This week I ordered a WG-3 from amazon and the optio series 2 yr extended warranty card from B&H. The language on the optio extended warranty card is a little different, it says I have to register the warranty with pentax. Do I have to register the camera as well?

Now, the other question. I read both cards in detail and it says that the cameras must have been purchased from an authorized Pentax dealer. when I go to pentaximaging.com, it lists B&H and Adoroma as authorized online dealers, but not Amazon. Does this mean the extended warranties I bought are no good? Also, I think it said at Adorama that the warranty cards must be purchased within 30 days of the camera purchase, which I did. As long as I maintain the receipts it should be OK? I hope so.
You should be fine, and AFAIK there's no need to register anything. Amazon receipts are fine also, as long as the product was sold new.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax_wayne Quote
As long as I maintain the receipts it should be OK? I hope so.
That is what we have been told. I've not read anywhere of Pentax disputing a warranty card.

There was some confusion at one point, not long after the Ricoh take over that involved the warranty card saying it had to be registered but when you went to the website to register you could not. Pentax subsequently stated that all you needed was the warranty card and proof of purchase.

That said, no harm in registering if you can.
06-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You're good. They want the warranty and camera to be purchased within 30 days of each other and the warranty to be the right one for the camera. You need the receipts for each as proof of purchase and DATE of purchase for warranty work. So far that has been the only criteria used on items reported here that needed warranty work at CRIS, including one of my items.

06-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I was afraid of this.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Amazon receipts are fine also, as long as the product was sold new.
I purchsed my K-5 from the Amazon Warehouse, where it would not technically be a new camera. I registered with Pentax and no issues cropped up with a duplicate registration, so to Pentax I am the original owner. My K-5 has a few issues and I had planned to use my extended warranty, but I will check with Pentax and CRIS to determine what expenses might not be covered. Saving a couple hundred at the Warehouse made sense at the time, but now the risks are more apparent!
06-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I was afraid of this.

I purchsed my K-5 from the Amazon Warehouse, where it would not technically be a new camera. I registered with Pentax and no issues cropped up with a duplicate registration, so to Pentax I am the original owner. My K-5 has a few issues and I had planned to use my extended warranty, but I will check with Pentax and CRIS to determine what expenses might not be covered. Saving a couple hundred at the Warehouse made sense at the time, but now the risks are more apparent!
Several warehouse purchases have been warranty serviced without problems. Two things - don't look for trouble and my warehouse receipt just says Amazon.

Last edited by Docrwm; 06-07-2013 at 06:23 PM.
06-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for all your comments! I feel better about my warranty purchasenow.
06-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Me too! thanks for getting us together Wayne!