Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter

What's the first default setting you changed on your K-30 and WHY?

As I work my way through the manual of my new K-30, I find it incredibly helpful on how you make various adjustments to the camera. It's less helpful when it comes to knowing WHY someone would choose to make a particular adjustment. In other words, what type of shot, or effect, are you hoping to strengthen by altering the camera's default settings? I thought a variety of responses from the experienced users on this site might be helpful to many. Thanks in advance.

06-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enable aperture ring, if you have any manual lenses.
06-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's a good idea to read the manual to begin with (it seems many of us haven't done that), because you will get an overview what is possible. After that, you can simply start shooting and when you encounter a 'problem' or you don't like the way how the camera is acting, you can adjust your settings.

It is almost impossible to give general rules because settings sometimes need extensive considerations. For example the file type for saving photo's (JPEG, RAW), processing images (in-camera or an external editor), or simply selecting an exposure mode (your style).
The discussions on PentaxForums can help you to find settings that better suits your style and habits. Use the search option to find info about specific topics.

Hope this helps.
06-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
agreed. Others: set the time, date and location; set the exif for photographer's information; make the RAW/Fx button do OVF DOF check; auto-focus with IR remote (see the next item); and make AEL only an exposure lock (might change that - right now I focus lock by flipping the switch from AF to MF after focusing).

06-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
It's a good idea to read the manual to begin with.
Welcome to what seems to be a very small club! I have read my manual several times, and each time I find something new or something I misinterpreted on an earlier read. For what it is worth, I prefer the .pdf version of the manual.
06-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Welcome to what seems to be a very small club! I have read my manual several times, and each time I find something new or something I misinterpreted on an earlier read. For what it is worth, I prefer the .pdf version of the manual.
I've been going through the PDF manual while waiting for my K-30 to arrive.
06-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Yep... Then moved AF off shutter release button. Then I set the date/ time.
I have/use both But find I use the paper the most. I read the pdf while waiting to receive the K-30
06-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

+1. Most important if you want to use MF lenses, especially older vintage lenses.

06-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A useful feature of the PDF manual is obviously that you can search it with keywords. Manuals of almost all the Pentax camera's can be found on Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
06-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter

useful feature of the PDF manual is obviously that you can search it with keywords.
A duh moment for me. I hadn't thought of the keyword search ability. I may be using the PDF copy more.
06-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

same here
06-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's my list
  1. Disable half-press AF - I don't want the camera to refocus after I've composed. Especially for macro.
  2. Auto White Balance: GONE! - The lighting in my photos doesn't change on a shot-to-shot basis, why would I want my white balance to do so?
  3. WB Adjustable Range: OFF! - You stupid camera I just told you, don't &#@* with my white balance setting!
  4. Color Space: Adobe RGB - the JPEG files are bit bigger, but the color is much better (not that I shoot many JPEGs these days)
  5. EV steps: 1/2 stop - I just like half stops better, and it puts 1/180th (the max sync speed of the camera) between 1/125th and 1/250th, instead of 1/160th.
  6. Sensitivity steps: same as EV.
  7. Auto ISO: I don't think so - What I find acceptable, and what the camera thinks I will find acceptable are two different things. Plus auto ISO doesn't work well with manual flash, which is about all I do.
  8. Green Button in TAv and M mode: Aperture priority - I don't use it much, but when I do use the green button, I want it to leave my DoF alone. If I were a sports shooter though, I might choose Shutter priority.
  9. Aperture ring: allow - I have plenty of old glass that needs this, and sometimes I just like the tactile feel of turning an aperture ring, even when the lens has an A mode.
06-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I'll do a followup.... I don't have the same needs as maxfiled_photo, but I too use 1/2 stop rather than 1/3 stops. Partly because if the 1/180 x-sync issue, but also because it is much easier for me to double and halve values in my head when I want to shift values between ISO, aperture and shutter, but keep the same exposure ... or bump exposure using 2 out of 3. I've got the 1/2 stop values memorized. And since I do post processing using Adobe software.... and the camera directly supports Adobe's color space... why not use Adobe RGB and DNG?

It may not have been the FIRST thing I changed, but it happened pretty quickly - I turn off all artificial sounds. If I felt I really needed it, I might turn the focus confirmation beep back on. Fortunately, I haven't felt such a need.
06-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
A duh moment for me. I hadn't thought of the keyword search ability. I may be using the PDF copy more.
Another useful feature: you can stick the manual on your phone or tablet, and so always (without extra bulk) have it around when in the field and puzzled of the "gee, I wonder if I couldn't..." sort.

Have resorted to that a couple of times when I got the Q myself.
06-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter

+1
The pdf is great because it is searchable
A useful feature of the PDF manual is obviously that you can search it with keywords. Manuals of almost all the Pentax camera's can be found on Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
Because it is searchable you may find two sections that reading both helps to explain something better. Sometime the writers of the manuals assume the user already understands another part of the manual.