Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #1

Accidentally Put My K5's SDHC Card in My K10 - Did that ruin my photos?

I took some photographs of railroad subjects this afternoon using my K5. I used an SDHC card in the K5. My backup camera is a K10 with an SD card. The SDHC card became full so I pulled the SD card out of the K10 and stuck it in the K5. The action got very busy so I switched the cards very quickly. Without thinking, I put the SDHC card into the K10's slot (safer than my pocket, so I thought). I tried to take a shot with the K10 (the K10 had a lens I needed for the shot) and, of course, the card error message came up.

When I got home, the SDHC cards images from today were gone. I was able to recover them but, so far, I cannot read the recovered files.

Two questions:

First (and I suspect I know the answer), did my turning on the K10 with the SDHC card in it (which is not supported) ruin today's images? I note that all other older images on the card were fine.

Second, is there any program that will do a good job reading the recovered files? Neither Windows nor Photoshop would pull them up.

Thank you.

06-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K10D supports the SDHC format.
So my guess is that it will be something else.
06-09-2013, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I doubt it had anything to do with putting it in the K10, I wonder more if it had something to do with overfilling the card.

I use Recuva to get files back on cards -- it works well as long as they haven't been written over. Recuva - Download
06-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What version of firmware is in the K10. I think SDHCwas an early update

There are file recover utilities you could try

06-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
Rondec, you may be right. I did fill the card up. I did not realize you could "overfill" the card.

I did recover the files but they were all corrupt.
06-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

While the K10D supported SDHC cards from the beginning, firmware version 1.31 "•Improved recording stability when using some SDHC memory cards".

So, if your K10D is not at firmware version 1.31, it still might have been the camera at fault.

Just in case you don't know how to determine the firmware version, its simple. Turn the camera on while holding down the "Menu" button. The camera will display the version number on the back LCD for a few seconds before completing the power-up process.
06-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Run the card through a couple of different recovery programs. I had a card fail once at a wedding (and this is why I want dual card slots on Pentax cameras). The first program I used to recover only got a few files back. I used about 4 different files and in the end got about 75% of the files back. The recovery software from sandisk actually retrieved information from that wedding, a wedding the week before, an engagement shoot before that, and then another wedding. I didn't get all of the files from those other events, but some of them.

Another thing you might try is pulling the images off of the car manually. I did what you a talking about once between the k20 and the k5. The card got some interesting files on it from using two cameras. At the time, I was using aperture and the program had a hard time locating the pictures. When I pulled the files off of the card and onto my hard drive and then imported the pictures into aperture, the program handled it much better.