Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens or Flash?

Hello fellow Pentaxians.
I have saved up some money and it's time to decide for me.
I can get the Metz 58 AF-1 for 200$ secondhand or go for a brand new DA 35mm 2.4,
Currently I have the K-5, 18-55 kit lens and F 80-200mm f4.7-5.6

I am really not sure if I want the flash for indoors photos and maybe I could use it to photograph skating events which occur very often here, on the other hand the 35mm would be my first prime lens since I switched to Pentax and I think it would be quite a nice addition to the lenses I already own with it's f/2.4 aperture.

Any help and other ideas welcome. Thanks!

06-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am a flash user indoors, so I would get a flash. It really depends on your style. Are you happy with your current indoor photos without one? If you are then maybe the 35 is a better choice for you.
06-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tough call. You have to decide which one you would use the most. A good flash is nice to have but unless you use it regularly not a good use of money. I have the Metz 48 and it is a good flash, but to be honest I do not really use it enough to justify the cost. Maybe that is just my style or maybe I should learn to use it more.

If it was me I would get the lens, no question. But I have serious LBA anyway, so that is just me. You need to think about what you shoot and which would improve your photography the most.
06-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If it was me I would get the lens
+1, based on what you've told us.

06-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I think I will go for the lens. I would love to have a flash to try portrait shots, to be able to get better photos inside and to be able to experiment with something that's totally new to me. BUT I am just tired of the kit lens, and I do not really enjoy shooting with it and feel like the prime lens will push me in the right direction to make me enjoy photography more and it will also perform much better than both of the lenses I own which is of course the main argument imho. I just wanted to ask to make sure that I am not making a wrong decision by missing out on the flash
06-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by polmar Quote
I would love to have a flash to try portrait shots,
Generally portraits are shot using off camera flash, not a hot shoe flash. I guess that is one reason why I don't use my flash so much, I have studio lights for that and wireless triggers for them. Even on site I would rather set up a hot shoe flash on a stand and use a trigger. Some things require a hot shoe flash though, weddings for example or other places where you have to move instead of getting the subjects to move.

If you want to try portraits, get a less expensive manual flash and either triggers or cables. Research what you need as it can get a little confusing. Note that off camera all flash (for Pentax anyway) will be manual so you need to learn how to do that but the flashes are much much cheaper. I have three Pentax AF200T flashes that work well, small and require a stand, but the most I paid for any of them was $15us.
06-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #7

get lens + something fancy to use on the built in flash, a white glove, a reflector, a tobaco pack..

the built in flash is more than enought for your 18-55 kit and the 35mm will bring you some new things to explore.

Just what *i would do*

let us know what you've decided
06-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter

You will like the lens. But I know there are people that use a flash a lot. I bought a used flash 18 months ago from KEH to use for an event, I may have used it once since then. The few times I have needed a flash the onboard flash was good enough. I have a lot of respect for people that take good photos with a shoe mounted flash (because I don't). I would get the lens.

06-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So I ordered the lens, should come in on Wednesday. I can't wait honestly! I loved using prime lenses on my previous camera.
06-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think you will be happy with your decision on the lens. You can learn flash with a cheap manual one, but the lens will push your photography in more ways right now.
06-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by polmar Quote
Hello fellow Pentaxians.
I have saved up some money and it's time to decide for me.
I can get the Metz 58 AF-1 for 200$ secondhand or go for a brand new DA 35mm 2.4,
Currently I have the K-5, 18-55 kit lens and F 80-200mm f4.7-5.6

I am really not sure if I want the flash for indoors photos and maybe I could use it to photograph skating events which occur very often here, on the other hand the 35mm would be my first prime lens since I switched to Pentax and I think it would be quite a nice addition to the lenses I already own with it's f/2.4 aperture.

Any help and other ideas welcome. Thanks!
note that for many indoor events flash is not permitted or if no restriction, at least consider it as a potential distraction.

as for the 35mm lens, i would suggest using a program that can give you a data output of your existing shots. there are several, such as Exposure Plot, and EXIF Plot which will give you a distribution of the focal lengths used for your shots. you may find this interesting. If you use something close to 35mm a lot, maybe the 35 is good for you. but if you are constantly at one end or the other of the zoom range, maybe you need to consider extending the range.