Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I wonder, do the cameras with fixed lenses have the same problem?

07-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
probably not, unless dust somehow managed to make it's way inside during assembly.
07-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

My K-x sensor was getting fairly dirty (had a couple of larger spots) so I got to exploring my options through this Forum and other places online. I did the Rocket Air (didn't help) and after some reading and video watching I began to get paranoid about cleaning the sensor (and I was wasting a bunch of time watching videos that didn't help much). I decided to man-up when I realized I had some artist brushes in the closet and got a very nice (soft) brush about 1/2 inch (1.5 CM) wide. I blew out the brush and raked it across a knife edge back and forth the get it cleaned out and managed to do a very good job of cleaning the sensor. I had to make a few tries at it cleaning/blowing the brush out before every cleaning. After each brush off I took a 4 second picture of a wall (moving the camera as I took the picture) and compared the results from each cleaning. In LR4 I could compare the pics side by side and see some dust moving around or being removed completely. I have one small dust spec that is giving me fits but I figure it's light years better than it was and all I had to do was a "dry clean". I agree one should be very careful, but with the proper tools and a bit of homework this is doable.
07-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ceremonsen Quote
I wonder, do the cameras with fixed lenses have the same problem?
Since they're not airtight...
Even if it would be more difficult for the dust to get on the sensor, if it does happen removing it means disassembling the camera.

I'm using the O-ICK1 sensor cleaning tool, by the way. A safe, efficient solution - I wouldn't want to use wet cleaning.

10-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #20

There's always a danger that it could be lubricant splatters. Then, a dry cleaning will make the sensor even dirtier.

Another question:

When we refer to "sensor" cleaning or swabbing, we actually talk about AA filters (anti-aliasing or low pass)
that will be brushed or/and wiped with a swab, and not the actual CCD or CMOS.

Some of the recent cameras, like Pentax K-5 IIS, lack these filters.

Does it mean that dust and lubricant splatters will go directly onto sensor?
How to clean it in this case?

Last edited by Ceremonsen; 10-05-2013 at 03:07 AM.