Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA 10-17mm Hood Visible In Picture?

I took this picture the other day with my K-01 with a DA 10-17mm Fisheye mounted. The lens was at 10mm and SR was on. You can see two small black areas on the top and bottom left and along the top of the picture. I put the lens on my K-5 IIs and used the Composition Adjustment feature to try to replicate the framing. It was nearly identical.

Has this ever happened to any of you? Is it safe to assume that this is a result of the SR overcompensating the motion of the camera?

This is the only time this has happened to me and I have been unable to replicate this type of vignetting (outside of Composition Adjustment) no matter what I do. Could there be something wrong with my K-01?

Attachment 175740

Last edited by geomez; 11-04-2015 at 03:06 PM.
06-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow! I have never seen that with my FE.

Perhaps the camera was jostled and kinked the SR. Just wondering.
06-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never see the hood with my DA10-17mm. Aristophanes might be right suggesting a kink of the SR.
06-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I'm not sure I'm clear...so you were able to replicate this with your K-5iis using composition adjustment? If so, were you able to get the same effect on opposite corners? If the answer is no, I think you have a defective lens which is not aiming the center of its image at the center of the sensor. If yes, maybe lens is not defective, but not sure. I've never seen or heard of this with other copies of this lens.

06-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am able to replicate it in every corner using composition adjustment. It seems to show equal amounts of the hood at the extremes of every corner, so I think it's pointing in the center.
06-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

When I have the time, I'll see if mine does the same and reply back.
06-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
When I have the time, I'll see if mine does the same and reply back.
geomez - Yup - mine does it too. I just played with my 10-17 and confirmed that it performs just like yours when sensor is adjusted to extreme limits and at 10mm FL. I think your lens is fine. We just need to do a good job of holding camera steady when shooting at 10mm to avoid SR reaching extreme limits. Best regards, Daryl
06-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
geomez - Yup - mine does it too. I just played with my 10-17 and confirmed that it performs just like yours when sensor is adjusted to extreme limits and at 10mm FL. I think your lens is fine. We just need to do a good job of holding camera steady when shooting at 10mm to avoid SR reaching extreme limits. Best regards, Daryl
I think my lens is fine too, it's the camera that I wonder about. I can't imagine the SR moving that extreme being a normal thing for the camera to do, especially having never heard of it nor apparently anyone else on here.

06-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Interesting...I have never seen that happen either on my 10-17mm. I rarely use it fully open, though, so that may have something to do with it too?
06-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I think my lens is fine too, it's the camera that I wonder about. I can't imagine the SR moving that extreme being a normal thing for the camera to do, especially having never heard of it nor apparently anyone else on here.
I've never seen this on an actual picture, but I can reproduce it using the composition adjustment on my K-30. Of course, usually when I'm shooting with this lens at 10mm I'm more worried about getting everything lined up without getting my feet in the picture; I'm definitely not moving enough to stress the SR mechanism much.