Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #1

Is my Lens broken?

Yesterday whilst changing lens's to test a new teleconverter I bought, I used the Lens cap to cover my 50-200 lens so that it wouldn't get damaged when it appears the opposite has happened.

The Lens cover fit but was smaller than the one purchased with the lens and went over the five gold coloured sensors.

Once I reattached the lens after testing the teleconverter the view finder showed a dark grey haze (not out of focus) and the Lens (50-200) refused to focus on anything but kept searching.

At first i thought I thought it may be something with the camera body but once tested by attaching other lenses it was clear that something was up with the lens.

I managed to take a photo on manual focus and it came out clear. Is the Lens's autofocus damaged some how, and if how is there anything that can be done to avoid the purchase of another 50-200 lens? please help, thanks.

06-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first thing is to dismount the lens. Now clean the contacts on the camera mount, make sure they are okay. (they probably are, if other lenses work).
After that, look at the lens contacts and AF screw hole on the actual lens. Are they clean? Are any missing? Try comparing them to ones you find.
I assume you also tried removing the teleconverter and testing the lens without the teleconverter. Maybe you can try testing the teleconverter with anotehr lens, but that might be a bad idea, you don't want it damaging another lens.
06-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. Seems unlikely that you damaged the mechanical parts of the lens with lens cap. But contamination seems more likely.
If it showed a grey haze in the view finder with lens attached that implies something optical. Unless you mean the view finder is dim rather than hazy (which could be aperture)?

I suggest you closely inspect the lens mount and look for:
* Bent components / aperture lever
* contamination or damage on back lens element. (maybe condensation?)
* contamination / dirt on electrical contacts
06-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
Still Nothing

It isnt the lens that had the teleconverter attached to it, it is a separate lens. all my other lens's work perfect. I have just tried reattaching the troubled lens and when i look through the view finder it is very dark, it also refuses to auto focus. When the camera is set to manual focus it allows me to take a picture and the outcome is fine.

The lens cap i am talking about in case there is any confusion is for the mount of the lens that attaches to the camera,. the teleconverter doesn't have auto focus so didnt have the same components as the 50-200 lens. The cover fit but ran over the gold metal balls located on the lens.

I have tried cleaning the lens a number of times, and once compared to another lens the is no obvious difference between them.

06-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
just found out

Just noticed, on the lens (where it connects to the body) the is a metla leaver at the top that moves on all my other lenses but not on this one, it controls the shutter on the lens i think. Seems like it is jammed, how can i repair this?
06-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oMikeLo Quote
Just noticed, on the lens (where it connects to the body) the is a metla leaver at the top that moves on all my other lenses but not on this one, it controls the shutter on the lens i think. Seems like it is jammed, how can i repair this?
Seems as whether you are talking about the aperture lever. This lens has no shutter inside. Anyway, if you don't have solid knowledge about lenses you shouldn't try to dismantle the lens for any self-repair attempt.

Ben