Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Scratches on my K-30 lcd (cover?)

Hey Guys (and Gals;-)
I've got some small scratches on my k-30 screen, or possibly it is just a polycarbonate cover??
Anybody have experience buying and replacing the part?
I have been unable to find any answers using search but i'm hoping its due to using the wrong search frases.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

M

06-11-2013, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think scratches can be avoided, I just live with it. So far all I have is a couple of very light ones after 6 months of use. I'm surprised really, I carry mine in some pretty rough conditions.

You might try buffing it with some newspaper. I had a friend who used that method to buff out scratches in his reading glasses, should be about the same material. You can get clear plastic stick on protectors, I tried one on my point and shoot and didn't like it, took it off and I just live with a few scratches and try to avoid them as much as possible.
06-11-2013, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used Brasso metal polish on the polycarbonate face of my used scuba diving computer. It did an excellent job of removing superficial defects and reduced the impact of some of the deeper scratches. However, I am not trying to discern fine detail on my dive computer - if you were talking about the top display on a K-5, I'd tell you to just go for it. I'd recommend testing a small corner on the back LCD before doing the whole screen.

Using other Forum member's recommendations, I invested in a custom sized ACMAXX for my K-30. I've got mixed feelings about this screen protector, but for now it is staying on my camera. It is decidedly better than the generic self-adhesive scratch protection sheets.The overlaying screen is just above the K-30's LCD screen. As a result, the center of the ACMAXX is sometimes sucked into touching the underlying LCD screen due to atmospheric pressure changes. When the LCD is turned off, this touch area is plainly visible. However, when the LCD is on, it is very difficult to see unless I know what and where I am looking.

The ACMAXX won't cure current scratches, but it will prevent additional scratches.
06-11-2013, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I have used Brasso metal polish on the polycarbonate face of my used scuba diving computer. It did an excellent job of removing superficial defects and reduced the impact of some of the deeper scratches. However, I am not trying to discern fine detail on my dive computer - if you were talking about the top display on a K-5, I'd tell you to just go for it. I'd recommend testing a small corner on the back LCD before doing the whole screen.

Using other Forum member's recommendations, I invested in a custom sized ACMAXX for my K-30. I've got mixed feelings about this screen protector, but for now it is staying on my camera. It is decidedly better than the generic self-adhesive scratch protection sheets.The overlaying screen is just above the K-30's LCD screen. As a result, the center of the ACMAXX is sometimes sucked into touching the underlying LCD screen due to atmospheric pressure changes. When the LCD is turned off, this touch area is plainly visible. However, when the LCD is on, it is very difficult to see unless I know what and where I am looking.

The ACMAXX won't cure current scratches, but it will prevent additional scratches.
+1 on ACMAXX, have them on all my cameras.

You need to be VERY careful about buffing any screen. As a watch collector I have seen dozens of people try to buff out non-sapphire crystals on watches only to make them cloudy. It is not a simple process and because we rely on the LCD screen for details as we shoot I would rather have a few scratches than a cloudy screen or cloudy spots on my screen.

06-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for taking the time to answer.
I guess my questions really are : Is the lcd and the top part, which gets scratched, one and the same part? How to replace the part or even the lcd-screen if it is not too expensive and of course taking into account whether the part is even available?
The issue is that I would like to sell the camera and hence it's good to know if it can be fixed for a reasonable price.
Thanks in advance.
06-12-2013, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

With my Samsung point & Shoot the LCD screen and cover are one assembly. Mounted in the back cover, not difficult to replace. With the K-x, a lot more difficult to replace and I don't remember if it's one piece or not. It can be replaced, but with any DSLR it won't be easy. When I opened up the Samsung, the LCD screen is right there in the back cover and very easy to access and replace. Not so with the DSLR. The back cover, front cover and top all have to be removed, and the LCD screen has contacts that are difficult to get back into place and keep them there while reassembling it. I haven't even considered opening the K30 up, (no reason to) but would expect it to be as difficult as the one in the K-x is.

I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you have the right tools, some knowledge of cameras in general, and a LOT of patience...figure out a way to buff it, and if you want to sell it, most photographers already know the LCD screen is going to pick up a few scratches now and then, I doubt that very many would be too concerned about it unless it has some really serious gouges. I know when I bought my Samsung used it had some minor scratches already, I wasn't too concerned about that. It was my first decent digital, but I already had an idea the screen would pick up scratches. They were fairly minor, I was more concerned about whether it worked correctly and took good pictures. I brought batteries and memory card along with me, tried it out first so I could see just what it would do before spending any money. Scratches were a minor consideration..