Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #1

Understanding my exposure meter

Hello again everybody. I was wondering if anybody could explain to me how to use the exposure meter on my pentax kx. I have been bouncing around a couple different forums looking for info but for some reason I can't seem to figure it out. I have the drive mode set to bracketing but no matter what I do (either changing shutter speed and or iso) I get no change in the meter. Could this be because I'm using an old manual lens (helios 44m-4) or am I missing something here?
I would really like to understand this since I'm really starting to take more care in how I set exposure as opposed to my older methods. And by older methods I mean shooting several shots until I get a correct looking exposure when reviewing images on the camera. I'm also finding that this s a pretty crappy method because despite how nice the camera is the picture on the camera's viewing screen and my computer is usually off by a pretty good bit.
I'd appreciate any tips or info.

06-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camwill87 Quote
Hello again everybody. I was wondering if anybody could explain to me how to use the exposure meter on my pentax kx. I have been bouncing around a couple different forums looking for info but for some reason I can't seem to figure it out. I have the drive mode set to bracketing but no matter what I do (either changing shutter speed and or iso) I get no change in the meter. Could this be because I'm using an old manual lens (helios 44m-4) or am I missing something here?
I would really like to understand this since I'm really starting to take more care in how I set exposure as opposed to my older methods. And by older methods I mean shooting several shots until I get a correct looking exposure when reviewing images on the camera. I'm also finding that this s a pretty crappy method because despite how nice the camera is the picture on the camera's viewing screen and my computer is usually off by a pretty good bit.
I'd appreciate any tips or info.
Here is the correct procedure for using manual lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

This will should allow you to stop guesstimating the exposure every time

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I remember my K-x correctly, the +/- button will set the exposure for you. It seems it would underexpose a bit, so it's still not completely reliable, but it gets you close, and I think there's a setting to adjust the exposure too but don't remember where it is, and I don't have my manual handy. The link Adam posted above should give you a lot of good info, reading your manual will help a lot too, it has tons of good info, and simply getting a lot of practice will go a long way. I've been into photography for 30 years, so I have a lot of practice, but I can quite often get the exposure very close just by looking around at ambient lighting conditions. You won't be able to do that any time soon, but with some practice and some time to really get to know your camera you'll get there...

It boils down to 3 things...

Practice

Practice

and...

Practice

Oh...did I mention ...

Practice?
06-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Like adam's post informs use the green button and adjust from there. From a fellow beginner, I would note that when shooting and especially landscapes the camera often doesnt see what your eye sees unless you use filters or post processing. Some of your picture will be properly exposed, but which part?