Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-30 best image settings for portraiture

Hi,

Wonder what image setting everyone used for portrait? I just came from Nikon world and still feel awkward using Pentax default setting. I just bought a K-30 (switching from Nikon D5100). I like the more saturated color of Pentax for objects but not really for portrait. My setup is K-30 with 50mm f1.8. Coming from Nikon i was satisfied with Nikon default color with exposure adjustment. However, both my wife and I just felt Pentax color just don't really click without some post processing (for portrait). Can you share what setting you use for portrait or your favourite setting for general purpose?

I usually use bright setting with -1or2 saturation and +1 sharpness in my setting and push +1 exposure for my portrait. Thanks much in advance.

06-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can try the scene mode portrait. It keeps the aperture kind of wide open (low f number for shallow DoF and good subject isolation) and it also makes the colours slightly nicer for skin tones.
I usually shoot raw and develop the photo on computer. For males, I add clarity and sharpness. For females I lower clarity and sharpness. I also usually make the white balance slightly warmer. +1 exposure is also a good idea, especially when photographing women, where you want the skin to look soft and smooth. For men a darker style can also work, because it can emphasize masculinity and rough skin texture.

Oh, and split toning. Can make the photos look very magical, if done tastefully
06-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Oh, and split toning. Can make the photos look very magical, if done tastefully
Could you please link a good example? Didn't work much with split toning so far and would love to get some inspiration about it. Especially for portraits I would not know where to start.
06-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by delegopa Quote
Could you please link a good example? Didn't work much with split toning so far and would love to get some inspiration about it. Especially for portraits I would not know where to start.
Yep, IŽd like to see some examples of a good use of split toning.

06-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a photo from 2011 that I can use as an example. I like to throw in red, because its a powerful colour, jumps out at the viewer. And gold improves skin tone, adds some depth. I don't know, but I like this kind of split toning. Very little of it, so that looking at the photo people might not even notice it. But it makes a huge difference. I don't have other good examples to post on here
Oh, btw this example is a little oversharpened because it was taken with the DA L 50-200mm and has some motion blur

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-23-2017 at 09:02 AM.
06-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
This is a photo from 2011 that I can use as an example. I like to throw in red, because its a powerful colour, jumps out at the viewer. And gold improves skin tone, adds some depth. I don't know, but I like this kind of split toning. Very little of it, so that looking at the photo people might not even notice it. But it makes a huge difference. I don't have other good examples to post on here
Oh, btw this example is a little oversharpened because it was taken with the DA L 50-200mm and has some motion blur
Thank you very much. I have chosen the wrong hobby, so much to learn, so many projects to realize...