Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

The Plugin Site people have just put on the market a new Plugin to deal with this problem. Have not yet tried it.

METARAW
MetaRaw extends the functionality of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. It lets you open camera raw files with Adobe Camera Raw, which are normally not supported by it, and allows applying Adobe Camera Raw as a filter to image layers. In Photoshop Elements MetaRaw provides automatic lens correction and chromatic aberration removal features for Adobe Camera Raw. Additionally MetaRaw includes its own raw converter, which has several advantages over Adobe Camera Raw.

With MetaRaw you do not have to upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements if you only need support for a new camera raw file type or want to apply Adobe Camera Raw as a filter to image layers.

MetaRaw seamlessly runs three different raw converters directly within Photoshop and Photoshop Elements: Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe DNG Converter and MetaRaw's built-in raw converter. If one of them does not support a certain raw file, one of the others is automatically used. No matter which raw converter you choose, its output can be processed with Adobe Camera Raw.

The built-in MetaRaw Converter produces images that are up to 0.3 megapixel larger than those of Adobe Camera Raw. It is able to open camera raw files from unknown future cameras and supports 170 camera models and 13 raw file extensions than are not opened by the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw. The output of the MetaRaw Converter looks quite similar to Adobe Camera Raw and can be further processed with Adobe Camera Raw. MetaRaw Converter preserves more shadow and highlight details at default settings than Adobe Camera Raw and produces a more natural look for certain raw files.

For more information on MetaRaw visit
The Plugin Site - MetaRaw

For downloading a 14-day trial version go to
The Plugin Site - Download - FilterHub

06-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Windows 7 or Vista SP2 users with older cameras that only use PEF format can download and install a free Microsoft Camera Codec Pack.

Download Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (16.4.1899.0416) from Official Microsoft Download Centre

This allows you to view PEF files in Windows Live Photo Gallery. If you go to the "File/Make a Copy" menu, you can one-click convert PEF to various formats including Jpeg and TIFF. With a well-exposed original, I find that almost no further processing is needed except perhaps auto contrast and a touch of sharpening.
06-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Windows 7 or Vista SP2 users with older cameras that only use PEF format can download and install a free Microsoft Camera Codec Pack.

Download Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (16.4.1899.0416) from Official Microsoft Download Centre

This allows you to view PEF files in Windows Live Photo Gallery. If you go to the "File/Make a Copy" menu, you can one-click convert PEF to various formats including Jpeg and TIFF. With a well-exposed original, I find that almost no further processing is needed except perhaps auto contrast and a touch of sharpening.
The Thread Opener uses Mac OSX

Ben
06-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

The Plugin Site people have just put on the market a new Plugin to deal with this problem. Have not yet tried it.

METARAW
MetaRaw extends the functionality of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. It lets you open camera raw files with Adobe Camera Raw, which are normally not supported by it, and allows applying Adobe Camera Raw as a filter to image layers. In Photoshop Elements MetaRaw provides automatic lens correction and chromatic aberration removal features for Adobe Camera Raw. Additionally MetaRaw includes its own raw converter, which has several advantages over Adobe Camera Raw.

With MetaRaw you do not have to upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements if you only need support for a new camera raw file type or want to apply Adobe Camera Raw as a filter to image layers.

MetaRaw seamlessly runs three different raw converters directly within Photoshop and Photoshop Elements: Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe DNG Converter and MetaRaw's built-in raw converter. If one of them does not support a certain raw file, one of the others is automatically used. No matter which raw converter you choose, its output can be processed with Adobe Camera Raw.

The built-in MetaRaw Converter produces images that are up to 0.3 megapixel larger than those of Adobe Camera Raw. It is able to open camera raw files from unknown future cameras and supports 170 camera models and 13 raw file extensions than are not opened by the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw. The output of the MetaRaw Converter looks quite similar to Adobe Camera Raw and can be further processed with Adobe Camera Raw. MetaRaw Converter preserves more shadow and highlight details at default settings than Adobe Camera Raw and produces a more natural look for certain raw files.

For more information on MetaRaw visit
The Plugin Site - MetaRaw

For downloading a 14-day trial version go to
The Plugin Site - Download - FilterHub
The Thread Opener uses Mac OSX and can open PEFs with the Mac OSX onboard tools. The files in question are damaged, that seems to be the real problem, as he can open some of those files, but not all.

Ben

06-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luigi115 Quote
I am using MAC OSX. I tried everything but... First I tried to upload all the "Raw files" to Iphoto. I am able to see the jpeg thumbnails on the camera but after donwloading them to Iphoto the image "is gone". I was able to open a couple of files with preview and saved them to jpeg.
I tried to Recover the files with Stella but I am able to see the Thumbnails but nothing on the file. I tried the Pentax application and the same, and the list goes on. At this point I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get the low resolution thumbnail files...
How big are the files in question? Are they exactly the same size as PEF-images which you know are working?

Ben
06-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The Thread Opener uses Mac OSX

Ben
I'm aware of that. But the thread is titled "PEF files to Jpeg" and is likely to be read by Windows users too, who I thought might find the information helpful.