Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

PEF files to JPEG

I followed the instructions in the manual to no avail. I tried to use other external applications to no avail. I am able to see the images on the camera (Pentax K-x) but unable to change to other format on the camera or externally.

Any suggestions ?

06-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom can read PEF files if I remember correctly. However, going forward I would suggest that you change the RAW format on the camera to DNG. That is more widely supported and from the specs on the new cameras it seems Pentax is moving away from PEF anyway.

Are you just trying convert the RAWs to a jpeg or are you looking for processing software?
06-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
also, I highly recommend using DNG format and not PEF. DNG is becoming the de facto standard for compatibility and archive.
06-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What software are you using?

PS Elements (if up to date enough to recognize the Kx) and faststone both work fine with PEFs. The Pentax software does too, of course, but is generally not user-friendly.

06-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luigi115 Quote
Any suggestions ?
Shoot in JPEG? or RAW + JPEG
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As with the question above, what application are you using? I use PEF on PS Elements 9 without issues.Before that I used PDCU that came with my K-x. DxO Pro Optics is also a good option. Could you give more specifics on what exactly is happening, error messages?
06-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the camera could have done it, if you immediately try to convert it right after the shot. Once you do something else, you can't convert it in-camera. I have to check the manual on that.

The Pentax Photo Laboratory (software that came with the camera) will do it. Open the software, click on the Browser tab, find the file, then click on File and Save As. That software will apply the camera's JPEG settings to the PEF or allow you to choose different settings in the Laboratory section. All the in-camera options and some others are available.

Picasa, Faststone and some other software will open the PEF format and allow you to save a JPEG, with some different choices than the camera has. Adobe has a free DNG converter that will turn the PEF into a DNG file. It's still a RAW format but now can be opened by many more software packages. One exception, the Pentax software doesn't work with Adobe-converted DNGs, only with DNGs created natively by a Pentax camera.

06-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Can't you press Info button and change raw to jpeg? And in the menu you can change raw format from pef to dng? (dng might be more universal, but it contains the same basic data)
Pef is basically a Pentax raw format and you need to use a raw editor software to post process it, make it look good, and then you save a copy as jpeg for daily use.
06-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #9

Photoshop and LightRoom should support PEF. It depends on which camera you have you will need the appropriate Camera RAW plug-in. You will have to have the proper version of PS or LR for the version of the plug-in. Once you open it in PS or LR you can save it in any format that is supported.

Matrix of Cameras, minimum plug-in and Lightroom versions
Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras

Matrix of plug-in version and Adobe application versions
Camera Raw-compatible Adobe applications

So from the charts above suppose you have a K-7. The plugin v5.4 or higher. LightRoom v2.4+, PS Elements v6+, PS CS4+

The K-5ii and K-5iis need plug-in v7.3. According to the charts only LightRoom v4.3 is supported.
06-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Lightroom can read PEF files if I remember correctly. However, going forward I would suggest that you change the RAW format on the camera to DNG. That is more widely supported and from the specs on the new cameras it seems Pentax is moving away from PEF anyway.

Are you just trying convert the RAWs to a jpeg or are you looking for processing software?
Trying to convert them to jpeg (Im a Mac User) I tried to recover the files with StellarPhoenixPhotoRecovery but the thumbnails look fine but when I do the recover the files I get seems to be corrupted
06-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but the thumbnails look fine
The RAW files include a JPG thumbnail, so what you see is your software using this.
But it obviously does not know about the specific PEF definitions (which again are slightly different for the Pentax models).

I also suggest to switch to DNG RAW for the future, it will save you a lot of problems.
But, of course, this suggestion is not very helpful if you have a lot of PEF files which have not been processed.

You'll probably have to wait till some Mac user finds this thread.

Last edited by RKKS08; 06-13-2013 at 01:28 PM.
06-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trying to convert them to jpeg (Im a Mac User) I tried to recover the files with StellarPhoenixPhotoRecovery but the thumbnails look fine but when I do the recover the files I get seems to be corrupted
What software are you using? I'm not sure why you are trying to use recovery software? Is there a problem with the card? As noted above if you shot PEF you are shooting in a RAW format which is not displayable. The only thing that can be shown is the jpg thumbnail embedded in the file. Your recovery software most likely pulled the thumbnails out of the files because it recognized them as jpegs. You must process the PEF files in software that understands the format and then save or export as a jpeg in order to be able to view the files.
06-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you are using Mac OSX you can even use Preview to open PEF-Files - you don't even need any special application. The support for Pentax RAWs has been integrated into OSX for the last four or five years, I think. And basically any RAW converter will open PEFs as well, including obviously the software, which came with your camera.

If the images cannot be opened, they are damaged and all what you get is the low resolution JPEG preview embedded in the PEF.

Sandisk offers a free recovery tool, for users of their memory cards, just in case you really would need a good recovery software.

Ben
06-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
If you are using Mac OSX you can even use Preview to open PEF-Files - you don't even need any special application. The support for Pentax RAWs has been integrated into OSX for the last four or five years, I think. And basically any RAW converter will open PEFs as well, including obviously the software, which came with your camera.

If the images cannot be opened, they are damaged and all what you get is the low resolution JPEG preview embedded in the PEF.

Sandisk offers a free recovery tool, for users of their memory cards, just in case you really would need a good recovery software.

Ben
I am using MAC OSX. I tried everything but... First I tried to upload all the "Raw files" to Iphoto. I am able to see the jpeg thumbnails on the camera but after donwloading them to Iphoto the image "is gone". I was able to open a couple of files with preview and saved them to jpeg.
I tried to Recover the files with Stella but I am able to see the Thumbnails but nothing on the file. I tried the Pentax application and the same, and the list goes on. At this point I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get the low resolution thumbnail files...
06-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Download the free Adobe DNG converter: Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 7.4

This will convert your PEF files to DNG, which should give you more software options for converting to JPEG if that's what you really want to do.

If that doesn't work, the files are probably corrupted.

I agree with the recommendations that you set your camera to record DNG rather than PEF files.