Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

With K50 will K30 price drop?

I was thinking of getting my wife a K30 (white....chicks dig it) for her birthday in August because of the extended $100 off deal going on through June. However, now with the big K50/500 announce does anyone think it would be wise to wait till closer to August for clearance pricing as with original K5 deals? I know, it is all purely speculative, but what is everyone gut reaction. I am tempted to wait, because I can't imagine K30 prices snapping back up to $699 once K50's start shipping.

06-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MBike74 Quote
I was thinking of getting my wife a K30 (white....chicks dig it) for her birthday in August because of the extended $100 off deal going on through June. However, now with the big K50/500 announce does anyone think it would be wise to wait till closer to August for clearance pricing as with original K5 deals? I know, it is all purely speculative, but what is everyone gut reaction. I am tempted to wait, because I can't imagine K30 prices snapping back up to $699 once K50's start shipping.
It's hard to imagine they will go lower, but who knows, look at the original Q. If I were you I would be watching all of the places you may buy it, the inventory of the white may not be that large.
06-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MBike74 Quote
Knowing Pentax, K-30 stock will likely start running dry soon, $450-499 is already a great price I'd say.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

$399 is what I'd see it going for when the well is running dry. Sort of like how the K-5 kept going down and down, until Adorama was the only one with stock. This might be 6+ months out, though.

06-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was looking at K-01's (for kicks) yesterday and there are still white ones hanging around for sale (new). The price is now high, but they're out there. If that holds true for the K-30 I think you have a good chance of getting white for a while and hope the price trends down. Good luck.
06-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Prices will certainly drop, as buyers will know the re-sale price after 3-4 years will be lower than of the K-50, just because it was the older model (even if specs were exactly the same).

But because of the K-50, I wouldn't expect the price to go up again when stock has vanished. This was different with models as the K200D, when prices dropped by 30-40%, but only for 2-3 months, then they went up again to near the introduction price. But with the K200D, there was no real follower.
06-15-2013, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was planning to buy the K-30 or its successor, now revealed as the K-50, in October or so in anticipation of a January trip where I will want a WR body. (I have been using a K-x.)
When I saw the K-50 announcement, it does not appear to me that there is much of an improvement over the K-30. With the K-30s on sale for $500 and the K-50s priced at $700, I certainly don't see $200 worth of improvement. Even if the K-50 should drop a $100 by the fall, I don't even see $100 worth of difference. So... my guess is that the K-30 is looking very attractive at the $500 point and that there will be sufficient demand to buy them at that price fast enough w/out a further price drop.
So... I went ahead and bought the K-30 this week.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! And it's the story I told my wife to account for the purchase.
BTW, the K-30 is a very nice step up from my K-x.