Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #1

Lens Information

Hi All

I am currently adding to my lens collection slowly but surely and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the following lenses and if they are any good, I can't find much information at all.

Pentax AF 35-80MM F4-5.6
Sunagor 80-200mm

from what I have researched it looks like the Pentax lens is possibly a F version autofocus or KAF version lens but I can't seem to confirm this due to limited information & pictures on the web, whilst the sunagor I can find little about but I think is a manual zoom macro lens.

I am currently learning photography on a K100D which these will fit but I was wondering if these were worth trying, as they are 20 the pair on ebay.

kind regards

gjstringer

Last edited by gjstringer; 06-14-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: update
06-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's info on the Pentax lens: SMC Pentax-F 35-80mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Lens information

Thankyou adam for the quick reply, its the one I thought it was which as you said doesn't look the best.

Does anyone know anything about the sunagor 80-200mm? I can't find much about it on the www.
06-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't know too much either.

Sunagor (a Japanese producer of optical equipment) was better known for budget priced binoculars, but also made a lot of different lenses (zooms and primes) for M42 and the major bayonet mounts. I think they also made some cheaper lenses for other brands, like Soligor, Promaster, and probably Vivitar.

A quick search in the net shows none of their lenses were regarded better than average. The 80-200 specially is several times described as being of exceptional small size, but again no hint for exceptional performance. But the reference to size must be seen in context of time (seventies). If you look at some of the first 80-200 zooms, they all are extremely big and heavy. Really nothing to carry around all the time.