Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #1

Dark Images

New Pentax K30 with the 18-135 lens that was bundled with it. I have used it for a week and I find that on full Auto all my exposures are underexposed (to my eye) at least one stop. How do I tell if this is "normal" or something wrong with the camera? (or something wrong with my eye?)
This photo was taken in shade but mid-morning blue sky day.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the metering mode and make sure you have not accidentally set the meter to spot metering. Also check that you have not set it to EV -1.
06-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax tend to underexposure as a matter of course to ensure you don't blow the high-lights.

You can recover detail from underexposure; it's lost for ever if over-exposed.

Personally I'm not seeing much of an issue with your image.
06-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looking at the grass in the image I would say it is probably half a stop under exposed. In film the shadows were the key, while with digital you really need to watch the highlights. I dont know if pentax is purposely underexposing, but half a stop should not be an issue (especially if you shoot raw).

06-15-2013, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Press the +/- button to make sure EV compensation is 0. Make sure colour space is sRGB and that you aren't using any digital filters. Try shooting Av mode, raw, and use different metering modes, turn off highlight compensation.. If none of that helps, try comparing your camera to another K-30, like at a store. Hope its still in warranty in case you decide to have it exchanged
06-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Looking at the grass in the image I would say it is probably half a stop under exposed. In film the shadows were the key, while with digital you really need to watch the highlights. I dont know if pentax is purposely underexposing, but half a stop should not be an issue (especially if you shoot raw).
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I checked the various settings and things seem to be OK (though it was interesting to disable highlight correction.) I think it's mostly me getting used to the way Pentax thinks. If it really annoys me, perhaps I can set the EV +/- up.

Does anyone know where (if there is a setting) to make the "default EV something other than 0?
06-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by houser934 Quote
Does anyone know where (if there is a setting) to make the "default EV something other than 0?
In the menus somewhere (I have a K10 so the menus are different) there are settings as to which of the controls are remembered when you turn the camera off. If you enable the camera to remember your compensation setting it will accomplish what you want.

That said, Pentax metering tends to blow highlights out less than some other makes, by design. I shot mostly slides and the metering is identical, for the same reason. Blow the highlight in a slide and it is gone, gone, gone. Digital reacts the same way. You can bring up shadows, usually, but you cannot bring back lost highlights.