Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #1

I chose the largest recorded pixel but it still records small.

Hello all, I normally shoot with a dslr, but I just but the waterproof point and shoot Pentax wg III for vacation and water sports, so I am new to these kinds of cameras.
Under recorded pixels I chose 16m and I chose the highest quality setting . But when I download the files off of my SD card, they look really bad... like a camera phone. Actually, it's worse than my camera phone. When I checked my file size on my computer after download it is 4m.... why is this? Shouldn't the file size be bigger?
Any help with this would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Leigh

06-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Post a few example's please, with intact exif data.
06-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pixel setting is not the same as the file size.

For problems with the image, we need to see samples.
06-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, now you will appreciate DSLR quality more

06-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for filling me in about the file size, that makes sense.
And yep, I am appreciating my mark III for sure! My 5D I use for work, but I just wanted a quick and easy, throw it in the bag type of rugged camera for family vacations, etc.
I know I'm not going to get that kind of quality I get from my dslrs, but I have seen some decent shots from Canon Power Shots and some other point and shoots.

My wg III shots:
the skin tone is washed out. I even tried underexposing to compensate for the strange brightening effect, to no avail.
The images lack contrast and they just aren't crisp. (They are focused)
Colors are slightly off. Even with manually setting my white balance.
The camera focuses easily and well, the different modes work well, and there is no huge shutter lag... but the pics are so blah.

I'm attaching a random pic that have been reduced in size so I can send this.

Muchas gracias, amigos.
Leigh
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX WG-3  Photo 
06-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I have always felt that Nikon & Canon digital photos are over-saturated and cartoonish (like TVs and movies are these days), and I prefer the more "natural" look of Pentax and Leica. Others prefer just the reverse, as they like "pop". Depends on your age perhaps.
06-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Judging by the histogram the contrast is just fine, looks good in my eyes too. Can you tune the saturation and contrast in some settings?
06-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
(I shoot RAW with DSLRs so I don't have any of that added saturation and contrast that come with how Canon processes their jpeg files... even when you are on neutral settings.)
I will mess with the settings and try and also try and edit them a touch.
Thank you all for taking a look and your input, it's much appreciated.
Leigh

06-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Hi

I don't know P&S cams, don't really know first hand what they can or cannot do.

TomB_tx is right, nevertheless there is a little bit of improvement possible without going over the top. I did a bit of light tonemapping in OLONEO and a very slight colour adjustment and finally a light sharpen with FocalBlade. Skin colour looks O.K. om my screen.

Result ? See below

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-06-2014 at 03:28 AM.