Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA* 60-250 focus issue

Hello,

My DA* 60-250 is behaving somewhat strangely lately: when attempting focusing after having not used the camera since days, the focus system does not operate in the first place. No sound, no warning in the viewfinder (K7 body) it just doesn't respond. I manually rotate the focus ring back and forth and try again focusing and then the focusing system wakes-up but with a VERY slow speed (I hear each click and it takes several seconds to reach focus). Several attempts later with some other manual focusing in between seem eventually to restore the correct operation of the focusing system. The body is not the problem as there are no focusing problem with my DA 17-70 mm. I noticed that the problem seems to get worse each time I use the lens (time needed to resume correct operation is lengthening). The lens guarantee is over, before sending it for servicing I would like to know if other DA 60-250 owners experienced the same kind of issue.

Another SDM issue I guess.

Many thanks.

Claudio

06-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never owned the 60-250, but your symptoms are remarkably similar to my 50-135 as the SDM was failing, all three times.

Sorry for the news.
06-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yea hate to reinforce the bad news but that's what happened to my DA*50-135 too, also just out of warranty. SDM failure, according to the Pentax repair center.

Just happened AGAIN, exactly as your symptoms describe, but now with my DA*300. CRIS just repaired it- SDM failure again; only this time I had to wait many additional weeks due a parts back-order. The 300's AF works very well now, and it is a great lens indeed, happy to have it back. But it cost me over $200 bucks for the repair...
06-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So it seems I'm heading to a total sdm failure? I was hoping the problem could persist but only when using the camera at first attempt. Since I posted the thread this morning, I made several tests and the sdm is responsive and resumed correct operation.
Bad news...

06-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find it rude from Pentax to expect us to buy such expensive lenses knowing this kind of failure is quite possible. Even more if you take into account that DA* lenses will usually be used in harsh enviroments where you expect reliability.
06-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA* 60-250 focus issue

I had same issue with DA 50-135 mm. First I cleaned all contacts just in case but no go. Ended up to "modify" lens to screw drive
06-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scc Quote
So it seems I'm heading to a total sdm failure? I was hoping the problem could persist but only when using the camera at first attempt. Since I posted the thread this morning, I made several tests and the sdm is responsive and resumed correct operation.
Bad news...
It will gradually get worse until it stops altogether. If you used the lens everyday, it might take much longer to fail or not fail at all.

I had your exact same symptoms with my DA*16-50. Once "awakened" it would be fine for the rest of the day. After leaving it idle for a week or more, it would take longer and longer to come back to life.

My DA*60-250 is my favorite and most used lens, and gets used almost on a daily basis. I dread the day the SDM fails, but for me, when/if it does, I will suck it up and pay for the repair.

06-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok guys,

I'll wait until it fails totally and will service it, it's my favorite lens too. I hope this failure on this lens will not affect all you owners and that I just had a bad luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Claudio
01-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,
I decided to have my 65-250 zoom serviced for the autofocus issue. Looking at the work proposed, there is only a cleaning/setting of the mechanism as well as a calibration. Is this something that has been proposed to those who had the same type of problem? If so, did it cure the issue on long term?

Thanks
05-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #10

Hi,my first post here. I must first of all thank you all forum members, who have shared so much valuable information in this forum, reviews and more.
Now on topic, in 2010 I purchased my first SDM lens, the 60-250 and its a lovely lens, but unfortunately the lens SDM stopped working today. The lens hasn't been used for about 6 months and that could be one of the reasons for SDM failure. After turning the screwdriver shaft it slowly woke up, but with higher than usual noise and also much slower focus speed. I'm quite disappointed to say the least, and it's a lens I thought was "safe" to buy. Well, well it could be worse, repair is $200 here in Sweden. Pentax/Ricoh Sweden has extended warranty for SDM lenses (3 years), but I missed that with 1 year.
09-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #11

My FA77mm seems to have the same problem.
Focus ring stuck, doesn't work in either manual or autofocus mode.
I can't rotate the focus ring when it's removed.
Have tried K-01/K5, both don't work on the lens but fine with others.
09-19-2014, 11:49 PM   #12

One more experience with this lens, rather unsettling: The first of the two small tabs powering the SDM got loose and bent over while changing lens, see picture. What's bothering to me is that it turned out that this tab is a very weak construction in the first place, and it's bound to get loose at some point when confronted with the contacts on the body.
The lens is out of warranty but very little used. Do all the other SDM lenses have these same lousy contacts? If I were a sports or bird enthusiast this lens would not have lasted a month.
BTW Swissidoodle, how did you go about modifying your 50-135 for screw drive?
Attached Images

09-20-2014, 03:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a good tread hear in the Pentax forum https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...m-f-2-8-a.html
04-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
One more experience with this lens, rather unsettling: The first of the two small tabs powering the SDM got loose and bent over while changing lens, see picture. What's bothering to me is that it turned out that this tab is a very weak construction in the first place, and it's bound to get loose at some point when confronted with the contacts on the body.
The lens is out of warranty but very little used. Do all the other SDM lenses have these same lousy contacts? If I were a sports or bird enthusiast this lens would not have lasted a month.
BTW Swissidoodle, how did you go about modifying your 50-135 for screw drive?
found this post while researching my own 60-250 issue... and lo-behold, the same small tab was off kilter just a smidge. I pushed back with my finger just a bit and my problem went away (so far!). So Thank you very much for sharing this photo/info!! Probably saved me 300+ dollars

BTW, my issue was: when this particular lens was attached to my K3, it would not autofocus at all (could still manually) but worse, the K3 would flash between M-AF-M-AF..... and screen functions would flash off and on, ie, if I pressed the menu button the menu would flash on but then quickly flash off on its own. Very disturbing.
04-10-2015, 11:58 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by monkeyboy Quote
I pushed back with my finger just a bit and my problem went away (so far!)
My lens eventually needed servicing at a repair shop, they changed the assembly with the tabs for 70 euros. But of course the new assembly is hardly any better than the old one. If you see your small tab is just starting to move, you might try to get a small drop of some suitable glue under it and let it dry with some pressure applied.

Worse, but most likely unrelated: After just an hour of use the whole SDM in my lens failed and had to be fixed, for another 300+ euros.