Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad things worked out. By the way, formatting your card will not hurt it. I format every time I remove images and I've never had a card fail. I rarely remove a card from the camera either, preferring cable transfer. USB ports seem to be a fail point on a lot of computers, fortunately they can be replaced.

06-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I'm glad things worked out. By the way, formatting your card will not hurt it. I format every time I remove images and I've never had a card fail. I rarely remove a card from the camera either, preferring cable transfer. USB ports seem to be a fail point on a lot of computers, fortunately they can be replaced.
I also format my card each time I transfer the images to the computer, but I always use the card readers that came with my SanDisk Extreme cards. I'm using a laptop that I bought in 2003 and all 3 USB ports are still working perfectly (but slow - 2.0). Mind you, I did buy a T60 top of the line.

I'm trying to get up the courage to install Win 7 64 bit so I can upgrade some software that insists that it needs 64 bit operating system.
06-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm trying to get up the courage to install Win 7 64 bit so I can upgrade some software that insists that it needs 64 bit operating system.
I think you realize the moving from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS means reinstalling everything? You can't do what is called an "in-line upgrade" where all your applications, settings and data are migrated into the new OS. MS has a migration tool that allows you to back up your data and many of your settings, but you still have to reinstall all your applications and especially for non-MS applications, re-do any application preferences.

If you are adept at the mechanics of swapping hard drives, I also decided to purchase a new (bigger) hard drive for my notebook when I made the jump to Win7 Pro 64bit. I pulled my existing drive (32bit Vista), installed the new drive and installed Win7 64 bit. Then I started installing my applications to the new drive. When my available time was gone, I swapped back in my old drive. When I had more time, I swapped in the Win7 drive and continued my rebuilding project. And so on. Once I had Win7 64bit running, I hung on to the Vista drive for a few weeks as I discovered a few things that I didn't think I wanted, but in fact, I did want. Eventually, I purchased an external drive case, mounted the Vista drive, reformatted it and I still use it to store data outside my notebook's new hard drive.

It might sound tedious, and it is, but at least I didn't have to be without this PC for a week or do a marathon rebuild.
06-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Very happy it is solved

06-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I think you realize the moving from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS means reinstalling everything? You can't do what is called an "in-line upgrade" where all your applications, settings and data are migrated into the new OS.
I plan on using two drives, keeping XP Pro on one and booting one or the other as needed. I know that some of my applications will not run under Win 7. I think it will be a project going over months.
07-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #21

SD Card propblem

I am having the exact same problems as "abarbarian" with one exception. After attempting to connect my camera to the computer with the USB cable, I get a screen that says "You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it."

I took the first 2 SD cards to a camera shop and they ran a recovery program to retrieve the images and put them on a CD for me.

Now I'm on my 3rd SD card. I've taken approximately 500 pics on this one. I was able to copy approximately 300 images to my computer before I started having problems.

I didn't quite understand abarbarian's fix. But I'm thinking it's a problem with the camera, not the computer or SD card.

Can anyone help?
07-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by marp14 Quote
I am having the exact same problems as "abarbarian" with one exception. After attempting to connect my camera to the computer with the USB cable, I get a screen that says "You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it."

I took the first 2 SD cards to a camera shop and they ran a recovery program to retrieve the images and put them on a CD for me.

Now I'm on my 3rd SD card. I've taken approximately 500 pics on this one. I was able to copy approximately 300 images to my computer before I started having problems.

I didn't quite understand abarbarian's fix. But I'm thinking it's a problem with the camera, not the computer or SD card.

Can anyone help?
Try formatting your card to exFAT and see if you have any issues then.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #23

Formated card to exfat on my computer. When I put it back in my camera it says "Card is not formatted"

07-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marp14 Quote
Formated card to exfat on my computer. When I put it back in my camera it says "Card is not formatted"
The card needs to be formatted in the camera. But without knowing your process I think the process may be the problem, not the hardware. Turn the camera off, connect the cable to the PC, then turn the camera on. The computer should pop up a dialog box that asked what you want to do.
01-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Hi, all,

I know this isn't a recent thread, but I just wanted to chime in with my own experience. I experienced the same problem as the OP, and blamed it on just about everything. My K-30, the memory card, incompatibility with Mac... However, my Mac has two USB ports. I was using the one on the right hand side, which caused the problem. On the left hand side one, it worked perfectly! So it does corroborate that this error may be due to an issue with the USB port.

marp14, check it out to see if it's a USB issue. Like you, mine worked fine for a certain number of pictures and after that it rendered my card unusable in my camera, although it would still copy pictures to my Mac one or two at a time before ejecting the memory card on its own - MAJOR pain given that there were hundreds of files on the memory card.

USB may not be the only thing that causes this issue, but given the OP's experience and my own it's at least a possibility.

Chich
01-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #26

I know it's an old post, but wanted to add an FYI. I had this happen once on my K-30. Card was a Sandisk 16GB Extreme Pro. I was in a cold hockey rink all weekend taking pics, but that's normal for me. Not sure if that had something to do with it or not, was pretty cold. I tried to recover my pics with no luck. I reformatted the card in the cam, and it's been good ever since.