Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 - Mirror doesn't fire, says battery depleted.

So. I was shooting my K5 at an event today, and the shutter stopped firing; The lens would stop down (Like a DoF preview) for the selected shutter speed, though. I've read a couple posts that are similar, but I never read anything about a "Battery depleted" error.(Not the battery, tried a chinese battery and a freshly charged geniune Pentax, same result)

Any suggestions before I take it down to the shop I bought it at so they can send it off?

Just some random info:
K5 with 50-135
Aperture stops down for proper time
Mirror doesn't flick up
Sensor does not record at all
Works like a charm after a few minutes. (Then starts back up after 10-15 shots)
Used two different batteries, one Genuine Pentax, the other a China made cheapo.
It was around 95 Fahrenheit in the shade where I was. I was in the sun, firing off a boatload of shots today. (Had already depleted one Chinese battery, the second battery was also Chinese, and was the one which started this issue, and my Pentax was fully charged, but didn't change much. [It is, the oldest however])

Last edited by Eulogy; 06-16-2013 at 11:41 AM.
06-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a depleted battery. They can go bad. Have you tried a different battery?
06-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Like I said, tried two different batteries. Though, they're both over a year old. Would that result in it working fine for a few shots, then stopping? (I do shoot a lot of night photos, so maybe my batteries are indeed shot)
06-16-2013, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Something similar to this happened to me several months ago. In my case the camera looked fine back lcd worked and was good until you press the shutter. Then the battery depleted light comes on and the camera would shut off after a bit. Take out the battery and reset, turn on the camera and the same would happen again. All is good until you press the shutter button.

My dad always said that in order to fix something you have to get it's attention first. So I gave it a good hard smack on the bottom of the camera with the heel of my hand. Something clicked inside and it has worked perfectly since. From reading other posts I believe the mirror mechanism got jammed and my smack cleared the jam. The battery depleted issue was caused because the motor was trying to move the mirror and drawing an overload when the mirror would not move.

I am NOT suggesting you smack your camera around but you might want to take the lens off and see if the mirror is stuck in an odd position.

06-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried tapping it. Doesn't work. Mirror isn't stuck off position, just seems like the motor either isn't working because of mechanical failure being imminent, or because the batteries are dead?(Perhaps. Just need to try my girlfriend's at home)
06-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Home now. Camera isn't acting up anymore, even with the Chinese battery. Could long term exposure to heat have caused a temporary electrical derpout?
06-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Could long term exposure to heat have caused a temporary electrical derpout?
Short answer is anything is possible. Cold temperatures certainly have an affect on the battery and have been reported to cause various 'weird' things. Not so sure about hot, but I do faintly remember reading a post here some time back about a user in Florida having strange issues. Cannot find that at the moment but you might try searching the forum for temperature related problems.
06-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Short answer is anything is possible. Cold temperatures certainly have an affect on the battery and have been reported to cause various 'weird' things. Not so sure about hot, but I do faintly remember reading a post here some time back about a user in Florida having strange issues. Cannot find that at the moment but you might try searching the forum for temperature related problems.
Well, if it happens again, I'm still covered under the 2 year warranty until December fortunately. (I joined the league of Pentaxians right around the time small shops sold the K-5 under $1000)

I'll rummage around, see if long term heat exposure is an issue. (Here I was thinking I was the only thing needing a break from the sun out there!)

06-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My dad always said that in order to fix something you have to get it's attention first. So I gave it a good hard smack on the bottom of the camera with the heel of my hand.
hahaha! yout father must be a wise man.
06-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
hahaha! yout father must be a wise man.
The older I get the wiser he seems.
07-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Forum Member

It seems that today I meet this kind of trouble too... Suddenly my one year old K5 stops working. In fact the shutter stop working and after one or two shutter depress button my lcd says Batery depleted. Now I prepare it to send it in
07-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by florinlib Quote
It seems that today I meet this kind of trouble too... Suddenly my one year old K5 stops working. In fact the shutter stop working and after one or two shutter depress button my lcd says Batery depleted. Now I prepare it to send it in
In my case, the heat outside caused my batteries to freak out a bit. (IE: Sort of "Burn out" for a bit)

Whatever the case, try charging it and using it inside.
07-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Haha, if it doesn't work, just smack it... so classic...
07-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Haha, if it doesn't work, just smack it... so classic...
It works if the fault is the well-known mirror motor issue.
Taking the battery out and re-also works, possibly just because of the camera movement!
If it is a failing mirror motor, it will start happening more and more frequently. Happened to my K5 when it was 10 months old, I got it repaired under warranty (8 days door to door repair)
07-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Are you absolutely sure your battery loading device is still working within its parameters?

This would be my first idea if several battery packs - serviced by the same loader - show the same strange behaviour.