Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Both photos just look to be taken more close to the subject than minimum focus distance of the lens. Just need to back off a further 10cm or so, or use a macro lens.
Yes, that sounds about right.

In both photos there's something in focus, just not what the OP thinks should be in focus. So it indicates that focus is working, and that the camera is set to release when "something" is in focus.

I suggest that it'd be a good idea for OP to look at what focus point is being used, initially, perhaps select "center spot" only until more comfortable with and confident in the camera?

06-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Jim- look in your K-01 manual for 'focus peaking'. This is a tool that will assist you with manual focus. And, what autofocus method are you using? (face detection [default], tracking, select, spot) .... face detection is probably the worst one unless you are shooting people. The camera will hunt and try to decide what is the closest proximity to a 'face'.

I would suggest you download the K-01 manual to your computer (click the preceeding link). You can then size it however you like for reading, plus you can specifically search for the above terms.

And yes, please do remember that no one here is paid anything for answering questions. This is not "Pentax's Official Support Department" We do it for the joy WE get out of helping others. You can steer a hijacked thread back to your topic, but if you are not careful of your tone, people will simply ignore you. Been there, made that mistake myself. Spend some time here and you will find that there are some truly smart people from whom you can learn a few new tricks, no matter what your experience level might be.
06-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always pay attention to where the K-01 has focussed, because CDAF does tend to lock on a contrasty background instead of the subject. In AF mode, as with all my cameras, I use center spot focus and recompose. I also rely on Focus Peaking to confirm focus is where I want it. For macro or close focus, I usually use manual focus with the magnification feature.
06-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Actually, I was trying to keep the conversation on the subject of autofocus, even if it wasn't the OP's immediate problem, before the conversation turned into yet another "what Pentax should have done with the K-01" thread. They all do, eventually.

It looks to me like in both cases, the camera focused behind the desired subject because there was something with much stronger contrast behind it. The white-edged leaves have stronger contrast against the background foliage than the fuzzy purple flowers do against the leaves. In the case of the hydrangea, the individual blue flowers have very little contrast against each other, while the edge of the cluster has strong contrast against the background foliage.

I have similar problems with Daffodils - you want to focus on the front of the cup, but that is usually yellow on yellow, while the petals at the back are yellow against background, and the stems are all sharp-edged light green/dark green stripes. It's a tougher scenario than one would think.

Are you using the default autofocus mode of Face Detection? (Press the Info button - the AF method is in the upper right - the smiley face icon is face detection) I would try center-point (white rectangle) or select-point (white rectangle with four arrows), and if that doesn't work, go with manual focus using focus peaking. I would also try to get as much depth of field as possible by using Av mode and setting the aperture to f/8 or so.

Great advice. I am going for the Av and center-point. Appreciate your help. Maybe "Auto" is not such a good way to take pictures.

Sincerely, Jim

06-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Jim- look in your K-01 manual for 'focus peaking'. This is a tool that will assist you with manual focus. And, what autofocus method are you using? (face detection [default], tracking, select, spot) .... face detection is probably the worst one unless you are shooting people. The camera will hunt and try to decide what is the closest proximity to a 'face'.

I would suggest you download the K-01 manual to your computer (click the preceeding link). You can then size it however you like for reading, plus you can specifically search for the above terms.

And yes, please do remember that no one here is paid anything for answering questions. This is not "Pentax's Official Support Department" We do it for the joy WE get out of helping others. You can steer a hijacked thread back to your topic, but if you are not careful of your tone, people will simply ignore you. Been there, made that mistake myself. Spend some time here and you will find that there are some truly smart people from whom you can learn a few new tricks, no matter what your experience level might be.
Thanks so much to all of you. I appreciate each and every answer, and am humbled by your knowledge. Maybe there is hope for me after all.

Regards, Jim
06-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In some ways, it's like shooting black-and-white - you have to retrain your eye to look for shapes and shadows instead of colors.

To support my theory, I converted your pictures to B&W. According to Wikipedia, contrast is defined as difference in luminance (or color). I used luminosity to determine the graytones (sounds fancy, but it was just a selection in GIMP). You can see how the flowers disappear against the leaves or each other and how the camera seems to have gone where the greatest contrast is. The focus algorithm is probably a bit more sophisticated, but it shows what I'm talking about.

Last edited by THoog; 06-28-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: luminance versus luminosity
07-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
In some ways, it's like shooting black-and-white - you have to retrain your eye to look for shapes and shadows instead of colors.

To support my theory, I converted your pictures to B&W. According to Wikipedia, contrast is defined as difference in luminance (or color). I used luminosity to determine the graytones (sounds fancy, but it was just a selection in GIMP). You can see how the flowers disappear against the leaves or each other and how the camera seems to have gone where the greatest contrast is. The focus algorithm is probably a bit more sophisticated, but it shows what I'm talking about.

Nicely done, and very much appreciated. I took more pictures with the camera in Av mode, no flash, and here is one. I am much happier with it's functioning now. Not to mention with my new Puppy, see here with my lovely daughter Heather (who takes MUCH better pictures than me!).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo