Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

x-5 unable to connect to computer

Just bought this camera yesterday and have tried to download photos via the usb cable that came with the camera, on 2 different computers, with the same negative results.

I went through the following steps:
  1. Turned on the camera and pushed the menu button.
  2. Scrolled through the menu to the settings section.
  3. Scrolled in settings to where it says usb connection and selected the option for MSC, then ok, then menu.
  4. Turned the camera off.
  5. Inserted the USB cable into the camera and then into the comuter.
  6. Turned the camera on.
  7. I get this message: "USB Device Not Recognized: One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."
  8. Upon clicking the message, I get a popup box showing the USB ports and an unknown device
Is there a step I am missing? (The camera has new, fully charged batteries in it.) Or is there something wrong with the camera?

06-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's much better to use a SD card reader. This way you can transfer your photos much more quickly and you don't risk data corruption, which can happen if you're transferring photos directly from the camera and the camera's battery goes flat.
Most modern computers have a SD card slot built in, if yours doesn't, USB SD card readers are cheap.
06-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
First a little more info is needed. What versions of windows are you using?

It seems that there may be a driver missing, are there any prompts for you to install one?

Did you install the supplied disk with media impressions?

Good luck and join the x-5 owners group on this forum and share some of your pics!! (once you get them uploaded of course)
06-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to Windoed update during your cammera connect to computer. Or go Control Panel to Sysrem to device manager then conntect your camera then see show up then reset. Then your computer need restart. It will work. Smile.

06-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear this.

As calsan suggested, I always use my card reader on my laptop to read the images off my X-90 (the predecessor to the X-5).

Just for the heck of it, I tried the USB cable, and my laptop (running Windows 7) recognized the X-90 immediately, by model name too. It auto-installed the device driver and that worked fine.

By any chance, how old are the two computers you tried this on? The owner's manual for the X-90 says minimum Windows XP, maybe the X-5 requires something even newer. Just a thought. Maybe try this on yet another computer that is running Windows 7.

Also, the USB port is shared with the A/V. I wonder if your composite-out connection works on a TV?

If that all fails, then I would go for an exchange. Good luck!

Edit: Just wanted to mention that I didn't need to install the MediaImpression software for this to work. Your case might be different.
06-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for all the replies! I probably won't have time to read them in detail before the weekend, but I did want to say thanks and I will be back!
06-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ok...to answer some questions: I've tried this on my home computer which is a Dell laptop running windows Vista, and my work computer which is a Dell desktop running Windows 7. I got the same error message on both, and was not prompted to install any drivers either place. (The manual that came with the camera said the requirements are Windows XP, Vista or 7.)

On my home computer there is no SD card slot. My home printer does have one, and when I put the card in, it read the photos. However, the printer isn't set up to import to the computer, only to print or to upload to Snapfish. I didn't check my work computer for an SD card slot yet.

I installed the software disk that came with the camera onto my home computer. It installed fine, but did not help this issue; I still get the message "USB Device Not Recognized:...etc."

I guess I will have to purchase a separate card reader and hope that this will solve the problem. It's just annoying...my previous camera was a cinch to upload from using the USB cable; it just automatically recognized the device. And I never had a problem with the battery dying in the middle (I am pretty good about uploading so I don't have tons to upload at one time.)

If anyone has any additional insight, let me know.
06-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I would probably exchange the camera for a new one. Not sure about the X-5, but the X-90 has a little bit of internal memory, aside from the SD card. You might want to use that at some point in time, say if your SD card is full, or fails, or something. I'm pretty sure that the only way to access that internal memory is via the USB cable.

Anyhow, you bought it new, so you have a right to expect that everything works like it should.

Now if the second camera fails to read, then I'm not sure what to say.

06-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
Update: I bought a card reader and it worked perfectly. When I inserted it into the computer the first time, it said it was installing the driver, and then automatically opened a dialog box so I could view the pics. (I got no message about the driver when I first used the USB cable that came with the camera.) Just for the heck of it, I tried the USB cable again after this, and I still got the original error message. I will probably take Tanzer's advice and return it for a new camera, though I can see the advantage now of having the card reader as well.

Thanks all!
06-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It could just be that the usb cable is faulty. If you have an older cable that matches your Pentax usb port, give that a try. Someone else posted about connectivity issues with the same camera a few months back, and it ended up being the cable too. No matter what, just use the card reader from now on, it's much more user friendly.