Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Couple RAW questions...

I tend to always shoot RAW. For years with my Nikons, I never worried about what RAW settings where, because it made no difference shooting RAW. Is the same true with Pentax on the K5/5ii? Or, what is a recommended setting for Noise Reduction?

On a side note, I always convert my Nikon raws into DNG, so now that it is an option with Pentax to use DNG in the first place, is there any disadvantage over using Pentax's native format?

06-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are no "RAW settings" per se. Your choice of white balance settings, noise reduction settings, sharpness settings, they all affect the jpeg of the camera - not the RAW. What you may see is that the jpeg preview of the RAW file in the camera (and on your computer) will have some of these settings applied, but that's only for the preview. You can easily adjust all those settings for your RAW output as required.

There is no difference between PEF and DNG as far as I know - PEF might hold a little more information specifically for the Pentax Digital Camera Utility to use, but it doesn't make a difference to photoshop.
06-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's what I suspected, thanks!
06-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Any other specific K5/5ii tips as fair as setting up goes?

06-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just set my K5 to record DNG (usually Raw+).

I tried some suggested settings to bump saturation etc, but I really didn't like the look of the jpgs - the camera seemed to go stupid high on purple and blue...

Look for settings for a "Fast Shot" user mode. Most options turned off, speed up for the fastest FPS possible. That's been really useful for wildlife and dogs.
06-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
One thing I had a choice of with nikon was a 12 or 14 bit file, always choose 14 bit.
I didn't see that selection in the K5ii, is it always a 14 bit file?