Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the 62mm and a step ring to use on the 49mm lenses.

06-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Get the 62mm and a step ring to use on the 49mm lenses.
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know I could do that!
06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanS Quote
Wondering what I REALLY need to get going. I've got a K-30 and 18-135mm on the way. I've ordered a small carrying case, 32gb SanDisk Extreme, and extra battery w/ LCD screen protector and micro fiber cleaning cloth. I'm going to Hawaii for 10 days next month.

Also looking at

1. Giottos AA1920 Rocket Air Blaster Small
2. LensPen NLP-1
3. Tiffen 62mm Circular Polarizer

What else is recommended? Is any of the above not necessary?
I don't see extra SD cards in that list. Murphy's Law is still alive and well. I doubt you will fill 32GB in ten days or have a SanDisk card go bad, but you never know. Otherwise, I personally think you have the bases covered. As you use your camera you will better determine how you work and what you like to photograph - and then you will buy a bigger bag for the additional gadgets.
06-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know I could do that!
As long as the hood still fits around the step ring, yeah, it works well.

06-20-2013, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I mentioned Lahaina noon in another thread. In late May and mid-July, the sun is directly overhead in Hawai'i. The exact date and time varies a little depending on the island. I think at this one time, the polarizer filter is completely useless. But that's just trivia - the sun will move during the day like always.
06-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
I regularly buy from Amazon and B&H and Adorama... but you might want to check 2Filter. They have an excellent reputation and often match or beat other prices. Here's for the Marumi CPL. (I did buy my DHG Super CPL from them, but I have no other connection or self-interest in this recommendation.)
Good prices there. Amazon was $.01 cheaper for the one I bought (sold by aSavings). I have Amazon Prime so free two-day shipping as well.
06-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I don't see extra SD cards in that list. Murphy's Law is still alive and well. I doubt you will fill 32GB in ten days or have a SanDisk card go bad, but you never know. Otherwise, I personally think you have the bases covered. As you use your camera you will better determine how you work and what you like to photograph - and then you will buy a bigger bag for the additional gadgets.
Thanks! I have a 16g and a 8g SD card from my S95 that can be used as back-up so I think I'm good for now. Good to know I don't have to spend any more money! =)
06-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I mentioned Lahaina noon in another thread. In late May and mid-July, the sun is directly overhead in Hawai'i. The exact date and time varies a little depending on the island. I think at this one time, the polarizer filter is completely useless. But that's just trivia - the sun will move during the day like always.
We'll be there late July into the first week of August.

06-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Also looking at ...
This - 1. Giottos AA1920 Rocket Air Blaster Small
A blower and cloth should be OK 2. LensPen NLP-1
Maybe at the beach, only 3. Tiffen 62mm Circular Polarizer
06-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
Get a 10 stop neutral density filter for some great daylight shots!
06-21-2013, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter

Thanks! I have a 16g and a 8g SD card from my S95 that can be used as back-up so I think I'm good for now. Good to know I don't have to spend any more money! =)
Format them in camera before the trip so you don't accidentally pop one in and forget to format it and lose a bunch of photos. I did that once. Plus one on a shoulder strap, but that's a user preference thing. A rocket blower is nice but a Lenspen is small and fits in a pocket, and that little brush will get rid of dust.on the lens, and since you only have one lens you don't have any chance of getting dust on the sensor. Don't forget your battery chargers, and never use your lens without the hood.
06-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Format them in camera before the trip so you don't accidentally pop one in and forget to format it and lose a bunch of photos. I did that once. Plus one on a shoulder strap, but that's a user preference thing. A rocket blower is nice but a Lenspen is small and fits in a pocket, and that little brush will get rid of dust.on the lens, and since you only have one lens you don't have any chance of getting dust on the sensor. Don't forget your battery chargers, and never use your lens without the hood.
Tom, you nailed it. I forgot my charger once, and lost some really good chances at photographing mating bison.
07-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #28

Always pack extra batteries.

I never trust my camera when it tells me that my batteries are at full strength.

Not after the rehearsal dinner for my brother's wedding anyway.

Less than twenty shots after we arrived at the farm my battery went from green, to yellow, and died. I thought that a full power battery would get me through a couple of hours and had left my other batteries in the hotel room...

07-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
I never trust my camera when it tells me that my batteries are at full strength.

Not after the rehearsal dinner for my brother's wedding anyway.

Less than twenty shots after we arrived at the farm my battery went from green, to yellow, and died. I thought that a full power battery would get me through a couple of hours and had left my other batteries in the hotel room...

Batteries are so small, that there really is no excuse for not carrying a (freshly charged) backup - and a backup of the backup - along.
07-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #30

Exactly.

Now, I always have three batteries. Camera, grip, and one extra. Just in case.