Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Lithium ion battery has a beautiful property that it holds almost perfect voltage until it is almost depleted, so that the electronics that depend on it have the exact voltage they need to function as designed. The battery indicator uses the battery voltage to determine whether the battery is still charged or not. The battery indicator actually shows you that the battery is almost dead as soon as it comes off the top voltage, but cannot give you earlier warnings. The voltage drop at end of charge is almost vertical, as you found out at the rehearsal.

My personal solution is to charge the batteries before each significant event. LI batteries don't have a charge memory problem that I am aware of, and I am still using the original battery I received from my camera shop in November 2007 with no apparent loss of capacity.

If I were really up against something that needed a huge battery life, I would switch the camera to "grip first" battery selection, and carry spares in my pocket. When my K10 switches batteries, the indicator is that I must turn the camera off and on again to switch to the in camera battery. I am making the assumption that the firmware is similar on newer models. After that indication, at any convenient break in the proceedings, I can swap out the grip battery, and the camera will be using the fresh battery grip battery when I switch on again, but I will still have the in camera battery with very low usage when the grip battery is again flat.

07-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The Lithium ion battery has a beautiful property that it holds almost perfect voltage until it is almost depleted, so that the electronics that depend on it have the exact voltage they need to function as designed. The battery indicator uses the battery voltage to determine whether the battery is still charged or not. The battery indicator actually shows you that the battery is almost dead as soon as it comes off the top voltage, but cannot give you earlier warnings. The voltage drop at end of charge is almost vertical, as you found out at the rehearsal.

My personal solution is to charge the batteries before each significant event. LI batteries don't have a charge memory problem that I am aware of, and I am still using the original battery I received from my camera shop in November 2007 with no apparent loss of capacity.

If I were really up against something that needed a huge battery life, I would switch the camera to "grip first" battery selection, and carry spares in my pocket. When my K10 switches batteries, the indicator is that I must turn the camera off and on again to switch to the in camera battery. I am making the assumption that the firmware is similar on newer models. After that indication, at any convenient break in the proceedings, I can swap out the grip battery, and the camera will be using the fresh battery grip battery when I switch on again, but I will still have the in camera battery with very low usage when the grip battery is again flat.
Just FYI, the K-5 models I have owned do the switching automatically when in grip is selected as first choice. I have never had to do anything to use both batteries fully during an outing.
07-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Just FYI, the K-5 models I have owned do the switching automatically when in grip is selected as first choice. I have never had to do anything to use both batteries fully during an outing.
Thanks for the clarification on the newer model. When the K10 stops, it is just turn off and on again to engage in in camera battery. Slightly faster than with the K5 where first stop means 30 seconds to swap the grip battery, but not much. I'm going to do my best to flatten both batteries at the Airdrie Air Show on the coming weekend.
07-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Thanks for the clarification on the newer model. When the K10 stops, it is just turn off and on again to engage in in camera battery. Slightly faster than with the K5 where first stop means 30 seconds to swap the grip battery, but not much. I'm going to do my best to flatten both batteries at the Airdrie Air Show on the coming weekend.
Lucky man, that should be a great show, the Snowbirds always do it up well. I'd love to see the P-40 too.

07-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Lucky man, that should be a great show, the Snowbirds always do it up well. I'd love to see the P-40 too.
I'm looking forward to it. We used to live in Aldergrove, and I haven't been to a top level air show for years. The last one we went to in Aldergrove, the Vulcan was there, and the pilot got into big doo-doo for doing fighter moves with a flying football field. It was spectacular!