Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
One piece of advice?

Practice - LOTS!

06-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #17
Emperor and Senpai

Go out and shoot as much as you can, trying different settings. You will learn the relationship between ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. You will also learn what suits your shooting style bese. Also, go ahead and use the kit lens while you're learning things. It's not a bad lens at all, and you will learn loads with it too.
06-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThueO Quote
Hello

If you were to give one piece of advice someone, who has never touched a dslr camera before.
What would it then be?

I just got my first camera, and I would like to know what I should focus on in the beginning.

-Thue
welcome to years and years of frustration, i mean photography.

best advise, is don't listen to others

actually the best advise is to get a book on photography, that covers the basics of lighting, exposure, and composition. read it, read the manual, and then go out and shoot for about 2-3 weeks, trying what you think you learned form the book and the manual.

sit down, look at your photos, the exposure etc, then re-read the book, and critique your shots, look for accuracy of focus, depth of field, overall lighting, blurriness from wrong shutter speed and camera shake or subject motion etc..

once done, go back and shoot similar shots again correcting your mistakes.

Note, most photo editors allow you to view the EXIF data in your shots, this gives you data on shutter speed, aperture , ISO, lens focal length etc, making it easier to figure out what you did wrong.

most of all, practice, practice , practice.

After a while, consider doing "projects" pick a subject, a lens, a lighting technique , what ever, and try shooting for a few days,m just considering that project. it is a good way to learn.
06-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #19
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Has anyone mentioned practice yet?
Seriously, experience is the best teacher in this vocation. Experiment with settings and lighting, and don't be afraid to try something new on each photoshoot. You learn most from knowing what doesn't work.

06-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I don't fully agree with this. His digital camera can be used in Tv or Av mode and it is the same as using film but without the cost.
His camera doesn't have a dial with shutter speeds on top and his lens probably doesn't have an aperture ring. Both of which help a lot to visualize the settings.
06-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would say as my one piece of advice "There is no one thing to learn when it comes to photography and DSLRs".

06-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Read the camera manual from front to back before you start shooting away.
06-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

My advice:
Don't get discouraged if your pictures don't come out as you expect them to right away.
Photographs you will be pleased with will take effort and a willingness to learn and put into practice some new concepts and techniques.
As mentioned previously, read 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson for a good primer. Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera by Bryan Peterson | Barnes & Noble

06-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
One piece of advice that I received from members here is not to buy too much equipment at first. Start with the kit lens and experiment a lot! Decide what you like to photograph and later you can buy better lenses and items attuned to what you like.
+1. LBA (lens buying addiction) can be a harsh mistress. You'll see many forum members praising various prime or zoom lenses that you "must" get, or that will "control your mind," but acquiring lots of lenses is a very expensive endeavor, and you will not need all those lenses just yet. Use the kit lens to get a feel for digital photography. Once you run up against the kit lens' limitations, you can get other lenses that will let you get shots that you couldn't before-- like faster lenses (better for low light conditions), wide angle lenses, telephoto zooms, macro lenses, weather-resistant lenses, etc. Don't make the mistake I did in buying a ton of lenses way too close together in time; that has resulted in me not fully appreciating each lens for what it is capable of doing. Plus my bank account is far lower today than when I started my collection! Not that I'm unhappy with my lenses, but I am still in sticker-shock when I think of how much money I've invested in this "hobby" the last few years... And you may find that you're perfectly happy with the kit lens, it's quite a capable, lightweight, convenient zoom. But someday you may want to step up to a prime or two. The Pentax Forums Marketplace is an excellent place to buy/sell used lenses.

Good luck and enjoy your new camera!
06-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #25

Welcome!

Don't get bogged down in the technicalities of it all. Just try things. You have no one to please except yourself with your results.

It's easier now that it's the Digital era because in the Film era we'd photograph, and have to wait for it to be developed. And sometimes you forgot what you did without taking a notebook with you.
06-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
just take the lens cap off.
+1!!!

Yes, read the manual (several times - I've been through my K-30 manual at least 3 times and still find new stuff). And understanding light and exposure is (or should be) the reason you moved to a dSLR - that takes study and practice. And read an art book about composition, and practice some more. Your new camera is nothing more than a tool to achieve a goal.

BUT- unless you have fun along the way, you aren't going to do all this. So yes, just take the lens cap off!
06-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
Moderator PEG Judges

Enjoy your photography.
06-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #28
Pentaxian

In 3 words: Copy other photos. It looks too simple, but if you can see a good photo, figure out what you like about it, then take a similar shot of your own, you will know almost everything. If you are short on ideas or examples to copy, try this section: Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories - PentaxForums.com

The camera manual is a necessary companion to this at first, because the camera is complicated. The manual's problem is that nothing is given priority. So you'll be reading a few pages of contrast control with multiple wireless flashes with no real need to know that. The *ist DS manual had pages and pages of printing JPEGs straight from the camera, something I have never done.
06-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #29
Site Supporter

It will exceed your budget.
06-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #30

Turn your 'auto' mode off. Start with Av mode and take lots and lots. This helped me move on to Manual mode without too much fuss. Oh, and another call for "Understanding Exposure". It's really excellent.