Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Dropped my K-x!

Now my LCD doesn't light up

Everything else looks fine though. Is this something that can be repaired at a reasonable cost? I really love this camera.

I feel shame

06-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EricL Quote
Is this something that can be repaired at a reasonable cost?
Not likely, sorry. I'm guessing the repair will be the resale value of the camera, so you might consider this an opportunity to upgrade.
06-20-2013, 11:36 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dropped my K-x in late 2011 (and felt great shame). It survived, but cracked the chin and the AF wouldn't engage properly. CRIS replaced the face plate, lens mount, AF linkage and did a CLA for about $105 - much less than I expected. It might be worth getting a quote. I did have to wait a month or so for them to get a Navy face plate.
06-20-2013, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I dropped my K-x in late 2011 (and felt great shame). It survived, but cracked the chin and the AF wouldn't engage properly. CRIS replaced the face plate, lens mount, AF linkage and did a CLA for about $105 - much less than I expected. It might be worth getting a quote. I did have to wait a month or so for them to get a Navy face plate.
Yes, getting a quote doesn't hurt. You could probably pick up a used K-x for around +-$250, so if the price to repair is anywhere near there, I think it would be best to just buy a new camera... and if you choose not to get it repaired, list it up on Ebay for parts.

06-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Who's CHRIS? Sounds promising, I'm hoping something got jarred loose and just needs to be set again. Hmmm i could open it up and see if i can do it myself...

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Yes, getting a quote doesn't hurt. You could probably pick up a used K-x for around +-$250, so if the price to repair is anywhere near there, I think it would be best to just buy a new camera... and if you choose not to get it repaired, list it up on Ebay for parts.
If I can't fix, I'll probably get another one, but I've been eyeballing that k-5 iis. I bought a lens from someone that had one it was really nice!
06-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There's a red K-x w/ red kit lens in the Portland, OR Craigslist for $350. I have a K-x and love the camera but I would upgrade if I was in your situation (unless I found a "can't pass it up" deal on a K-x).

Or this blue one: http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20550772.html?

Last edited by OrangeKx; 06-20-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added content
06-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
There's a red K-x w/ red kit lens in the Portland, OR Craigslist for $350. I have a K-x and love the camera but I would upgrade if I was in your situation (unless I found a "can't pass it up" deal on a K-x).

Or this blue one: Used Pentax Kx Blu Kit W/da L 18-55 Blk
I think I will upgrade if I can't fix it. Loved the red color, but I'll get over that.
06-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

CRIS Camera Services in Chandler, AZ (www criscam com) is the official Ricoh / Pentax service center for the US. Some people love them, some hate them. I've been satisfied with their work the two times I had to use them (one warranty, one not) - the only difficulty was having to wait for parts to drift across the Pacific.

06-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Did the LCD crack or anything? As it won't light up at all you could be lucky and its just a connector that is loose.
06-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Did the LCD crack or anything? As it won't light up at all you could be lucky and its just a connector that is loose.
No cracks, when I get home tonight I'll see if i can open it up without causing more damage!
06-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EricL Quote
No cracks, when I get home tonight I'll see if i can open it up without causing more damage!
Good luck, somebody here may have some instructions.