Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree and completely understand the value of file handling, presets, and templates. It takes time to figure all that out if you do not have a manual. Thanks for the import example, jatrax.

11-01-2015, 06:18 AM   #32
dlh

There is an important functional difference in the software under discussion. File editors are different from picture editors. The file processing software uses the "development of negatives" analogy because what you do in a darkroom with "real" pictures involves a process executed upon an entire instance of the medium. That is, you develop film by immersing the whole roll in the same chemicals, all at once, and a print by shining the negative image on the whole piece of paper using a single light source, lens, focus, etc., then immersing the whole paper in the chemical baths. (Ignoring, for the sake of the analogy such things as burning and dodging.)

A program that will suck in and "develop" the RAW data from the camera's interpretation of what's coming from the sensor applies changes to the entire file based on parameters set in the metadata. Changing light/dark (gamma, exposure, sensitivity, etc.) or "filters", involve operations on the entire dataset. I'm using Silkypix standard version for that, but you have to be able to think like a Japanese photographer to get how it's arranged.

In contrast, a photo editor operates on raster descriptors, pixels, and collections of elements within the file as data objects. The file as a whole is significant only insofar as it informs the software as to the meaning of the elements. I use Ulead PhotoImpact 7 for that. Works just fine, it's stable and predictable, and very well written. I think it's the last "good" version prior to the series of buyouts that, in my opinion, degraded the value of the product.
11-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Photoshop CS5 but for someone starting out Photoshop Elements is likely a better way to go

Randy