Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Found this(these) gems

Hi, Ive never been really into photography, but I have started a tiny bit just reading up on the different stuff (like ISO, shutterspeed and aperture). So I needed a camera, we only have a finepix s2000, which is fine for taking ok pictures if your not looking for anything special I guess. I knew my father did a bit of photography before, so I searched the basement and found this stuff (attachnig some photos to.): an old Pentax LX slr camera, a bunch of lenses and a bunch of other stuff for this particular camera and lenses. I had NO experience in photography before.. yesterday? so dont judge , there were some filters, a monocular converter, some giant flashes (thats what their called?.. only know norwegian), some servo flashes, waist level finder (?), and there was supposed to be even more down there (including a giant lens at about 400mm).

Well over to the interesting stuff (for me atleast), the lenses. My father said they were more special than the common lenses with the same names that looked the same, I have no idea though. Just listing them quickly here and trying to get some pictures too: f/3.5 35-105mm, f/3.5 18mm, f/1.2 50mm, f/2.5 135mm and a 4/17 fish-eye. As you can tell I don't even know what to call the lenses.

Anyway, the lenses are in perfect condition, camera I think is perfect to. My question (I think) goes as following: I want to switch the old slr into a new dslr, because I need the pictures on my computer. I understand that the house itself is worth a bit, and I got a lot of stuff for it to. Do I did some research and figured out that I can use the lenses I have on a new dslr camera. No problem? So any suggestions on a dslr "beginners" camera (I understand that this equipment isn't for a learner like me, but what the hell, its not like its falling out of the sky for me!) that I can get for about the same price as I can get for the old LX? Was looking at the K-30.

Gladly share any thought on this one And also Im interested in learning, feel a bit bad using this equipment when I dont know much, so please tell me anything

- Eirik

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
06-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

First off, welcome to the site.

Yes, all the lenses will work on a digital Pentax body, with one caveat - they are manual, which means you will have to manual focus and set the aperture, which is no big deal. Trying to replace these lenses in automatic lenses would cost a small fortune, and as I said, learning to use them is no big deal, in fact many folks here prefer to use manual lenses.
06-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Those lenses and body do have quite bit of value -- some rarities there. So if you want to trade up to modern equipment, not sure the fortune required will be much at all...if you just get a simple kit you could have hundreds left over even...
06-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... a K-30 will work great with these fine lenses ... I have the A 35-105/3.5, it's quite nice ... your LX SLR body is excellent equipment ... you are quite lucky, so go learn and enjoy ... J

06-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

To be honest, the whole kit here make me salivate like the wolf in the Little Red Riding Hood !

Every lens are really good, even with today standard, so i would suggest to think very very carefully before selling anything.
06-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

You've got some nice stuff there. If you're interested in photography I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to sell them as you might regret it and want some of them back later - not to mention the sentimental value. Instead, learn how to use them and wait until you can make a more informed choice of which lenses you use a lot and which ones maybe you don't need and what you'd like to replace them with.
06-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, that is quite a treasure trove. The K-30 is selling cheap these days, and it would be perfect for this collection. You may also consider a K-01. They both have focus peaking, but the K-01 is smaller and even cheaper than the K-30.

06-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
You've got some nice stuff there. If you're interested in photography I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to sell them as you might regret it and want some of them back later - not to mention the sentimental value. Instead, learn how to use them and wait until you can make a more informed choice of which lenses you use a lot and which ones maybe you don't need and what you'd like to replace them with.
Agreed ... good advice, J
06-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice collection of lenses! Think hard before selling any of them.

As for K30 vs K01; here in Norway the difference in price isn't huge. Seems to be around $765 vs $680 (NOK4500 vs NOK4000), body only. Might be possible to find them cheaper somewhere, but not much.
06-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all replies! I see now that I didnt make it clear enough, but I was planning on keeping the lenses as I understood they are very good and the modern day equivalent costs a small fortune.. And I know about the problem that I can only use manual, but thats very fine by me, actually thats what I want to learn
06-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

You need to go back into the basement and look around until you find that 400mm. Everything in the kit you showed is a keeper so I suspect the 400mm is going to be one, too.
06-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
You need to go back into the basement and look around until you find that 400mm. Everything in the kit you showed is a keeper so I suspect the 400mm is going to be one, too.
I sure will but the room is about 15x10m (picture) + 4 other rooms to the right filled with unsorted stuff, I can barely walk there
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
06-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Time to start digging, I would.

QuoteOriginally posted by eirik95 Quote
I sure will but the room is about 15x10m (picture) + 4 other rooms to the right filled with unsorted stuff, I can barely walk there
Start near where you found this stuff and look for the tripod, too. Heck, you might find something else nice, as well.
06-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
You really dug out a treasure there! I would definately go for a K-30, but if I was you, I would keep the LX, too. You don't have to use it right now, no pressure. Make yourself familiar with the basics of photography and do whatever you wanted to do with the digital camera and the lenses in the first place. Everybody confirmed that they are great, already and it seems that you are enthusiastic enough to have realized that even before. Then, when the time comes that you ask yourself "I wonder what this would feel and look like, if I did it on film...?" (oh, the possibilities!), you will have one very fine piece of equipment there at your service that some people spend some time, frustration and money on, just to get their hands on it.
Just a jealous advice from another traveler between the worlds of Analog and Digital...
06-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Looks like you have a great start. I doubt you will get enough from the sale of the LX body to finance the purchase of a digital body. The old film camera bodies don't fetch much these days.

If it were me, I would simply pick up a DSLR body only and start from there. If the cost new is too much, look at a use DSLR body used, with low shutter count, they can be had for a couple hundred bucks (US$).

Good luck, and welcome to the Pentax world!