Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

Lens won't come off!

I have a Pentax K-x, and was searching online for different lenses it would take. I got curious and searched a few older lenses as well. I got to wondering and thought maybe my Sears MOD. No. 202 1:3.5-4.5 28-70mm Multicoated Automatic Zoom Lens would fit it, being a Richoh (Pentax) film slr lens and all. We'll it seemed to had fit, but not all the way as I see a silver lining. I then tried to take it back off while pressing my release button, but it won't budge and the relaese button doesn't seem to be poking all the way out as usual with lens. I am freaking out because i just bout this camera as my first dslr camera and being a beginner I don't know what else to do beside go to the photo repair shop.If any one has dealt with this before please do feel free to share your own experiences or success stories and techniques.

06-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxkid89 Quote
I have a Pentax K-x, and was searching online for different lenses it would take. I got curious and searched a few older lenses as well. I got to wondering and thought maybe my Sears MOD. No. 202 1:3.5-4.5 28-70mm Multicoated Automatic Zoom Lens would fit it, being a Richoh (Pentax) film slr lens and all. We'll it seemed to had fit, but not all the way as I see a silver lining. I then tried to take it back off while pressing my release button, but it won't budge and the relaese button doesn't seem to be poking all the way out as usual with lens. I am freaking out because i just bout this camera as my first dslr camera and being a beginner I don't know what else to do beside go to the photo repair shop.If any one has dealt with this before please do feel free to share your own experiences or success stories and techniques.
Do a search for "Ricoh pin" on this forum you will find lots of threads and solutions.

Most important: it will come off you just need to research how and take your time.
06-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have the aperture ring set to "A"?

If so, turn it to a different postion, which retracts the dreaded "Ricoh Pin" and the lens should turn freely.

(Been there, done that with a Craig Optics 28-70)
06-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eastman Quote
Do you have the aperture ring set to "A"?

If so, turn it to a different postion, which retracts the dreaded "Ricoh Pin" and the lens should turn freely.

(Been there, done that with a Craig Optics 28-70)
I just tried that and its still not working.

06-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Do a search for "Ricoh pin" on this forum you will find lots of threads and solutions.

Most important: it will come off you just need to research how and take your time.
I am doing just that and am not getting much to work with at the moment, but i'm going to keep the faith.
06-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I did it once too, a terrifying five minutes or so. Ricoh lenses work great in the end and most are safe, but some lenses need the pin surgery immediately. Hang in there...
06-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Try this thread, several suggestions there: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46816-all-righ...ens-stuck.html
06-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Turn the aperture ring off of A. Then fiddle with the AF switch (Back and forth) while wiggling the lens with the lens release button depressed. I hope you're dexterous. Alternatively, just roam the forums and look at all the other solutions.

06-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #9

If you have something thin like a feeler gauge or a metal tape you can sometimes get that in between the mount and the lens where the af drive slot is and push the pin back into the lens. Otherwise play with the af/mf switch as others have said.
06-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #10

Original Poster
It's still not working and I really don't have the tools to manually go in and get this done, I just tried again with the af-mf switching ; while pressing the release button and still nothing is happening. I will probably give it another go soon, but more than likely i'm off to the repair shop. Thanks again everyone for all of your help it s appreciated.
06-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxkid89 Quote
It's still not working and I really don't have the tools to manually go in and get this done, ...
Maybe you can create a tool by cutting off a piece of a margarine lid or similar. You need something very thin, but relatively stiff. Try to wiggle that between lens and mount at the screwdrive position while playing with the AF switch.
07-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Feeler gauge. Get it at your local auto parts store. The thinnest gauges in the pack are capable of slipping between the mount faces.

Steve
07-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

FWIW, once you liberate the lens and are able to gt rid of that Ricoh pin, its a fairly decent 'cheap' lens, or at least my copy is. Its stupid sharp at 70mm for an old zoom, and the 'macro' (not true macro, but still close focus) mode is fun to mess around with.

Try pressing the button that activates the A-mode in while you try to work it loose. If I remember right from mine, that loosened the offending pin somewhat. I deliberately stuck either that lens or one of its cousins on my dead K-x just to see what happens when one DOES get a pin jammed on your camera, and it came off relatively simply for me, it just took a good hefty twist when trying to loosen it. I didn't use any gauges or anything.