Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #1

New K-5 II, and a noise I am not familiar with

I just received my new K-5 II tonight and want to make sure that the noise I am hearing is nothing unusual. When I turn the camera on, it makes kind of a mechanical buzzing noise for something like 1/4 second. Any thoughts as to what that is?

Thanks for the help!

06-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bunjes Quote
I just received my new K-5 II tonight and want to make sure that the noise I am hearing is nothing unusual. When I turn the camera on, it makes kind of a mechanical buzzing noise for something like 1/4 second. Any thoughts as to what that is?

Thanks for the help!
Note, the buzzing is relatively high pitched.
06-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note, the buzzing is relatively high pitched.
Sounds like the dust removal system to me

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
dust-removal startup action ON?

06-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
dust-removal startup action ON?
That is exactly what I chalked it up to be, but I turned it off and the noise still happens. Also, side note...when I tell the camera to perform "dust removal" nothing perceivable happens.
06-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've kind of wondered about this noise myself. My K-5 IIs also makes a very high-pitched squeaky noise when I turn it on. I just went into the menu and hit "Dust Removal." Exact same noise. I never specifically told the camera to do dust removal on startup, so it must be on by default.

I never made the connection, because the dust removal on my K-r makes a very clear, low-pitched "br-r-r-r-r-r" noise, and you can feel the camera shaking. The K-5 is very different. Well, you learn something every day!

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 06-21-2013 at 08:27 PM.
06-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I've kind of wondered about this noise myself. My K-5 IIs also makes a very high-pitched squeaky noise when I turn it on. I just went into the menu and hit "Dust Removal." Exact same noise. I never specifically told the camera to do dust removal on startup, so it must be on by default.

I never made the connection, because the dust removal on my K-r makes a very clear, low-pitched "br-r-r-r-r-r" noise, and you can feel the camera shaking. The K-5 is very different. Well, you learn something every day!
Yes, I own a K-X and I know the sound to be a low pitched br-r-r-r-r like you explained. This is different and I would bet it is in fact the dust removal system. However, its odd because I turned it off as a startup function and when I hit "dust removal" nothing perceivable happens.
06-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, I own a K-X and I know the sound to be a low pitched br-r-r-r-r like you explained. This is different and I would bet it is in fact the dust removal system. However, its odd because I turned it off as a startup function and when I hit "dust removal" nothing perceivable happens.
There's another noise on startup which I believe is the aperture actuator arming itself or something. If I look into the lens when I turn the camera on, I can see the aperture give a little spasm. Maybe that's your noise? The K-5's dust removal is high-pitched enough that I don't think some older folks would be able to hear it. Not calling you old or anything. They call it "ultrasonic" for a reason.

06-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
Oh, wow thank you for the information! I am doing a couple of things. I am updating the firmware as we speak and I will listen extra close for a sound when I hit "dust removal". I am 30 with pretty good hearing, but there is definitely a chance I no longer hear that high. (that would be surprising/sobering though)

I have put several lenses on and the exact same noise occurs.
06-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
Haha, ok...I stuck my ear to the camera and pushed the dust removal button. I CAN hear two distinct very high pitched sounds.

So, if it is not the dust removal I am hearing, what is it? And why does it make that noise, and how can I make it stop?
06-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/123361-k5-sensor-cleaning-bug.html#post1275295

?
06-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Does that question mark mean you're still confused? It looks like that thread answers your question. Here, I'll show you. Sorry for the dust. My poor camera...

The camera's aperture actuator is that little plastic block at the 9-o'-clock position inside the K-mount. That's what fiddles with the aperture levers on your lenses. When you turn the camera on, it gives a little jerk regardless of what lens is mounted. It even does it without a lens mounted, so you can see for yourself. The sound is rather atonal, sort of a quick "bzzt!," like the meshing of small gears. You can feel the vibration it causes.

The dust removal, if enabled at startup, comes after a short pause. It's a very high-pitched "squeak!" followed by two shorter, much quieter, squeaks. I can't feel any sort of vibration in the camera.

It's possible that some cameras are quieter than others. I'm 22, but that's not much younger than you. I wouldn't be too worried about your hearing.
06-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #13

Guys: The dust removal system, if set for start up operation, is a higher pitched but much lower amplitude on my K5IIs. The more apparent and very brief sound at turn on seems to be as Scratchpaddy suggested an aperture actuator. There is almost a ringing behind it with my 35mm lens mounted; sort of 1/2 second instead of a quarter. Tried turning on with no lens mounted and the basic sound quarter second sound is still there but less and no extension. I think a non-issue; turning the main switch is nearly as loud, just half a second sooner!

MerlinCanada
06-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Does that question mark mean you're still confused? It looks like that thread answers your question. Here, I'll show you. Sorry for the dust. My poor camera...

The camera's aperture actuator is that little plastic block at the 9-o'-clock position inside the K-mount. That's what fiddles with the aperture levers on your lenses. When you turn the camera on, it gives a little jerk regardless of what lens is mounted. It even does it without a lens mounted, so you can see for yourself. The sound is rather atonal, sort of a quick "bzzt!," like the meshing of small gears. You can feel the vibration it causes.

The dust removal, if enabled at startup, comes after a short pause. It's a very high-pitched "squeak!" followed by two shorter, much quieter, squeaks. I can't feel any sort of vibration in the camera.

It's possible that some cameras are quieter than others. I'm 22, but that's not much younger than you. I wouldn't be too worried about your hearing.
Thank you so much! The ? was in regards to whether or not I found the correct answer. And it appears I have! (That is the sound I am hearing for sure)

As long as the sound is part of the design and not an indication of a problem, I have no problem with the sound.

Thank you again for the help!
06-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MerlinCanada Quote
turning the main switch is nearly as loud
Yeah, I never realized how loud the power switch was until I started straining to hear all the little buzzes and squeaks my camera makes.

As long as the sound is part of the design and not an indication of a problem, I have no problem with the sound.

Thank you again for the help!
Yes, it seems we can conclude that it's harmless. I enjoyed this little exercise. Thanks for pushing me into actually finding out what these noises were!