Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 II SR gone crazy - shakes the sensor like mad and blurs the image

OK - so I am out taking photos of a product to sell, and I look back at one of my images taken at about 40mm, 1/100th - and it's really blurry from camera shake. I think "That's weird" and take another, which is fine.
I take a few more and they're fine but then I take another and notice a noise like a bit of "spring" (also can feel the vibration in my hands) and WHOA, the images are really really blurry. And this time I've moved into the sun so we are talking 1/1000 type shutter speeds. At 1/2000 it seems to be too fast to cause any problem to the image, but at slower than 1/1250, images are blurry (focal length of 20-50mm). Note that this happened even when I turned SR off - it didn't make a difference. Also manually setting the focal length using an older lens, I set it to 10mm but still it would do it.
I turned the camera off and on again - problem gone. No weird feeling as the mirror slaps back down, and no noise - and no blur in the photo. But then the SECOND photo - it's back again.
Basically, for 10 minutes there I had to turn the camera off between every photo... and then suddenly, problem gone. It just didn't happen again, and for the next hour I occasionally picked up the camera, took a photo or three, no problems, turned it off. I did that about 5 times.

But then the LAST time, picked it up - took one photo fine, second photo and the problem is back. And now, it doesn't matter whether I turn the camera off, take the battery out or anything... basically every single shot, the shutter will make like a bouncing noise that I can feel in my hands, and the shot will be horribly blurry.
It is not doing it every single time rendering the camera useless for any shots slower than 1/1250.

Also, it seems MECHANICAL - in that shaking the camera when turned off, the sensor shift seems more violent, and louder than normal - basically like it's come loose from its holder or something? The noise on taking the photo also seems to have become louder since it first started happening, that could be my imagination though.

Uploaded example of what it looks like (note: this was stabilised on a bench at 1/250 - so it's miles away from having any actual camera shake).
crappy camera shot.jpg
crappy camera shot crop.JPG

Last edited by Quazimoto; 09-20-2013 at 08:41 PM.
06-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you tried removing and replacing the battery?
06-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
And now, it doesn't matter whether I turn the camera off, take the battery out or anything...
So yes.

New info:
When the camera is having the problem - if I switch to Live View - it goes mental - as in, it makes a noise like an electric motor running, and the image I see on the screen shakes like crazy - but THEN, all I have to do is swirl the camera around a bit and it gets "the message" and settles down - and I can take a normal photo again.
06-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #4

I noticed a similar things a couple days before using Live View mode only and manual focus lenses without A markup. However, I do not take photos in Live View mode, so all the pictures so far have been sharp. Perhaps it is the expression of the image stabilization system's work?

06-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quazimoto, I was going to suggest what Civiletti mentioned, removing the battery from the camera for a while. I'd even try removing the battery, turning the camera ON for a few seconds, then off again before re-inserting the battery. Perhaps this will discharge some latent power in the system...

While this isn't directly related, I did have a problem with my old K200D's SR system that required some attention by a technician. I was having the K200D converted for infrared use by Spencer's Camera (don't EVER send ANYTHING to Clarence Spencer - I learned my lesson). I had a lot of problems with the guy doing the work, one issue included a malfunction of the SR mechanism. In Clarence Spencer's words, there's a magnet involved in the SR function and, even with SR turned off the magnet was intermittently causing the sensor to move during exposure. I don't recall if I determined a shutter speed threshold that mitigated the problem like you have, but I could feel (and almost hear) the malfunction. It was sort of like a small electronic grunt. It also seemed to happen at a measured tempo, maybe 3-5 beats per second.

In my particular case I had multiple problems with the camera, each issue being resolved only to be replaced by a new problem each time the camera came back from Spencer's. Although I came away with little respect for Clarence Spencer, I may have learned a little bit about the inner workings of the camera... That is, unless Spencer was making it up as he went.

I would recommend calling CRIS and asking to speak to an engineer if any of your other attempts (i.e. battery removal) don't work out.
06-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #6

Sounds similar to this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/215317-...nual-lens.html

Seems that Pentax's SR is a bit sensitive to external interference, mabybe.
06-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #7

Jaeaetee,

how do you mean, does sensor will shake if you completely remove the lense and turn on Live View mode?
06-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter

You have nothing to lose - turn on the camera, go to the Menu and use the dust removal function. This will force the sensor to vibrate, and if something is out of position, possibly put it back. I've seen it work on other models, but the K-5 uses an ultrasonic dust removal system so I have no idea if it will work for your camera.

06-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some of these problems sound similar but not the same.
When I go into live view, assuming the camera is having the problem RIGHT THEN - then the sensor will shake like crazy in live view - UNTIL I shift the camera around a little bit, and voila, it's fixed.
Note: the problem isn't different in OVF as opposed to LV - the same problem, it's just clearly visible when you're in LV.
06-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
You have nothing to lose - turn on the camera, go to the Menu and use the dust removal function. This will force the sensor to vibrate, and if something is out of position, possibly put it back. I've seen it work on other models, but the K-5 uses an ultrasonic dust removal system so I have no idea if it will work for your camera.
Had already tried that, no difference.
Thanks.
06-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have had problems with my Pentax K10D similar to this - images were blurred even at 1/1000th shutter speeds, so that sensor must be moving with an impressive amount of speed.

My solution was for long term storage - remove batteries from the camera. I haven't had a problem with it since.
06-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi there Digitalis,
Thanks for this - yes, funnily enough that seems to have worked for me too?

Well not quite.
I left it over night - the problem got better but was still there and then came back with a vengeance (i.e. did it all the time) - but then I left it another day and reset the camera to factory default, and it was 98% better. It still did it occasionally but had definitely improved after resetting the camera.
And then today I was doing some product shots, 100% flash lighting so I thought it wouldn't matter if it did do it - but I took about 100 shots and didn't even get it happening ONCE, so... fingers crossed I guess!

Thanks for everyone's help.