Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #1

Question about lens hoods for DA 50mm and DA 35mm

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have recently purchased both the DA 1.8 50mm and DA 2.4 35mm lenses. I am enjoying both, but am having trouble choosing lens hoods for them.
Currently I am using Hakuba metal lens hoods I picked up from Yamada Denki in Tokyo along with Pentax 58mm caps on the ends.
My main worry is that both lenses have the front glass very close to the front of the lens and I want to keep them pristine as long as possible.
But the faces I get from the camera shops in Japan tells me that maybe I am violating some laws of photography, most likely that the 35mm requires a wider lens hood.
Anyone have advice on the optimal hoods for each of these are, hopefully with some sort of lens cap option? Until then, I will use my current combination and live with the strange faces of camera shop grandpas.

06-23-2013, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you maybe post a photo of those lens hoods mounted on your lenses?
The thing is, if the lens hood is too deep, it will cause vignetting (dark edges, circles), maybe even have the same effect as aperture closing.
But! Since you are using an APS-C sensor (as in, smaller than a film plane), you can use a deeper lens hood than you could otherwise. So on a 50mm lens you can use a hood for even a 1.5*50 = 75mm hood. Approximately. Whats also important is the hood shape. Classically, Pentax used regular round hoods and square hoods, now even some tulip shaped hoods. Some shapes (like square and tulip) are more effective, but only if they are done right. If you want cheap third party hoods, it might be hard to find "the perfect one". But at the same time, you mostly need the hood for protection from bumps, since the lenses you mentioned are already pretty flare resistant (modern coatings, good lens design). So as long as it isn't causing vignetting, you're good to go
06-23-2013, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For maximum shading, you want a standard (normal) hood for the 35mm,

and a telephoto hood for the 50mm.

06-23-2013, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
It appears the hood specified by Pentax for both of these lenses is the PH-SA49. You can find several inexpensive clones on the Internet, including Amazon Japan.

Beyond that, you would need to match the field of view (FOV) for each lens on your camera with a comparable FOV for a hood, plus of course have a compatible means of mounting that hood on your camera. Me? I'd stick with the PH-SA49 design and call it good.

06-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys, The photo of the (normal) hood for the 35mm from audiobomber looks identical to the hoods I am using for both lenses. From what I have seen so far, it might be the best option for me. The PH-SA49 looks much sexier, but also relatively the same depth. Plus I don't think there is a cap option for that hood. I would opt for a slight chance of vignetting over no cap.
06-23-2013, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by briankemper Quote
Thanks guys, The photo of the (normal) hood for the 35mm from audiobomber looks identical to the hoods I am using for both lenses. From what I have seen so far, it might be the best option for me. The PH-SA49 looks much sexier, but also relatively the same depth. Plus I don't think there is a cap option for that hood. I would opt for a slight chance of vignetting over no cap.
When I look at images for the PH-SA49 style hoods, it is a quick mounting 'pinch' design. And while I could be wrong, it looks like there would be no problem mounting the original Pentax lens cap inside the hood.

My big issue with hoods these days is I am addicted to the newer bayonet mount design that secures the hood in reverse position while in my camera bag. As a result, I recently purchased a Matin 49mm hood for my F 35-70. It may not have the ideal FOV, but it still shields the lens from most off-angle light and protects the front element while mounted.
06-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
When I look at images for the PH-SA49 style hoods, it is a quick mounting 'pinch' design. And while I could be wrong, it looks like there would be no problem mounting the original Pentax lens cap inside the hood.

My big issue with hoods these days is I am addicted to the newer bayonet mount design that secures the hood in reverse position while in my camera bag. As a result, I recently purchased a Matin 49mm hood for my F 35-70. It may not have the ideal FOV, but it still shields the lens from most off-angle light and protects the front element while mounted.
The Matin 49mm hood looks nice. I'm a bit limited by what is available in the stores here though. I managed to find a soft rubber cap for $2 that fit over the top of the Hakuba hood and it was really convenient to quickly take on and off. Unfortunately it may have been a bit too quick as it fell off when I wasn't paying attention.

06-23-2013, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

It appears the hood specified by Pentax for both of these lenses is the PH-SA49. You can find several inexpensive clones on the Internet, including Amazon Japan.
I have an FA 28mm f2.8, FA 35mm f2, DA 40mm Ltd and FA 50mm f1.4. I have several hoods, including the Pentax rectangular hood you mentioned. I like the Pentax hood a lot for its funky retro look, but it's not very versatile. It won't take a cap, you have to dismount it to attach a filter, and it's bulky to transport. It was designed for the Pentax 50mm f1.4 and f1.7 lenses, in the film era, therefore it provides good shade and no vignetting for a normal lens like the DA 35mm on APS-C. It was designed for a 50mm FOV, but on APS-C, you can use a much deeper hood like the tele hood Iinked, because of the crop.

I do use a tele hood like the one I showed on my FA 50, and it does not vignette. It provides maximum sun protection, but lens size is virtually doubled.
06-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The Matin 49mm hood looks nice. I'm a bit limited by what is available in the stores here though. I managed to find a soft rubber cap for $2 that fit over the top of the Hakuba hood and it was really convenient to quickly take on and off. Unfortunately it may have been a bit too quick as it fell off when I wasn't paying attention.
The problem with a bayonet style hood is that the lens has to have the grooves to accommodate it. I don't believe a bayonet style hood will mount on the DA 35 or 50.

I don't use a standard metal hood such as the ones you have. I much prefer a standard collapsible rubber hood like this:

Metal hoods take up more space. A rubber hood adds very little bulk whether mounted or stored. The standard Pentax 49mm cap mounts inside the rubber hood. Both metal and rubber hoods allow a CPL to be used, but you need a larger (i.e. more expensive filter for the metal hood, and only the rubber hood shades the filter.
06-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The problem with a bayonet style hood is that the lens has to have the grooves to accommodate it. I don't believe a bayonet style hood will mount on the DA 35 or 50.

I don't use a standard metal hood such as the ones you have. I much prefer a standard collapsible rubber hood like this:

Metal hoods take up more space. A rubber hood adds very little bulk whether mounted or stored. The standard Pentax 49mm cap mounts inside the rubber hood. Both metal and rubber hoods allow a CPL to be used, but you need a larger (i.e. more expensive filter for the metal hood, and only the rubber hood shades the filter.
I have both the 49mm and 52mm rubber hoods, and the original caps will attach.. most of the time. I still prefer mounting a 58mm cap on the fixed metal hoods. They are also not 100% stable, but I prefer the convenience over the extended length, especially since both the 50mm and 35mm FA lenses are light and short. Or perhaps the rubber collapsing hoods I have are not the best models?
06-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have both the 49mm and 52mm rubber hoods, and the original caps will attach.. most of the time.
I haven't had any trouble with that.

I have a lot of 49mm hoods, in six different styles, because I have several lenses that fit them. I added a 52mm to 49mm step down to my A 135mm, so I could use it with my 49mm hoods. I choose different hoods, depending on what I'm doing. They all have advantages and disadvantages. The main thing is to use one, the style comes down to personal preference.
06-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #12

Original Poster
I haven't had any trouble with that.

I have a lot of 49mm hoods, in six different styles, because I have several lenses that fit them. I added a 52mm to 49mm step down to my A 135mm, so I could use it with my 49mm hoods. I choose different hoods, depending on what I'm doing. They all have advantages and disadvantages. The main thing is to use one, the style comes down to personal preference.
If the caps fit reliably on the collapsable hoods, I think I would prefer them. I'm starting to think that the models for sale at my local Yamada Denki might not be the best. At any rate, thank you for all of the excellent advice!
06-23-2013, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

If the caps fit reliably on the collapsable hoods, I think I would prefer them. I'm starting to think that the models for sale at my local Yamada Denki might not be the best.
Could be. Some rubber hoods have no filter threads, which makes them useless IMO. Some are "three-stage collapsible", intended for zooms. I hate those. They're too big and flat, and they won't stay in the middle position. My rubber hoods are inexpensive but they come from a reputable Canadian store (Henry's). Pentax makes a rubber hood:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/41350-REG/Pentax_34260_49mm_Round_Rubber_Lens.html
06-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi audiobomber- look at the link I provided for the Matin hood. This is a two piece hood. One piece is a filter thread mount ring for the lens. The ring has bayonet grooves to allow the hood portion to fit in either operational or reverse storage orientation. The Matin ring allows standard filters to be attached either behind or in front of the ring. The only proviso for a lens cap to work when the hood is mounted in either orientation, is that it be a center-pinch style. The Matin type hood isn't quite as nice as the real deal on my other DA lenses, but it is very very close.
06-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi audiobomber- look at the link I provided for the Matin hood. This is a two piece hood. One piece is a filter thread mount ring for the lens. The ring has bayonet grooves to allow the hood portion to fit in either operational or reverse storage orientation. The Matin ring allows standard filters to be attached either behind or in front of the ring. The only proviso for a lens cap to work when the hood is mounted in either orientation, is that it be a center-pinch style. The Matin type hood isn't quite as nice as the real deal on my other DA lenses, but it is very very close.
Sorry, I hadn't picked up on that. The Matin has some nice features. Too bad it doesn't have a port for CPL adjustment, like Pentax hoods.