Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #1

Old Lenses and K30

Hi,

new to the forum - so this may have already been answered (but I haven't found it yet....) so if already here, please let me know!

Anyhow looking to buy a K30.

I have a couple of old Tamron Lenses with Adaptal adaptors (a 500mm mirror lens - reviewed on this site and a 35-210).

I want to buy the K30 as it looks like a good solid camera and from what I can ascertain, i should be able to use my old lenses. (I have an old Ricoh KR10 right now, but it hasn't been used in over 15 years...)

Unfortunately, took the lenses down to the local camera store to try but we couldn't get the lenses to work with the K30 (though the guy was impressed that my lenses are in excellent condition).

Am I supposed to buy some other adaptor or do I need to put the camera into a special mode to get my old lenses to work?

If I know that they will work for sure, I'm keen to go buy the K30. OF course I'd buy the K30 with a "new" lens as well as my lenses don't have the AF capability.

Hope you might be able to help out.

=F.

06-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See this article:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frangutz Quote
we couldn't get the lenses to work with the K30
If the lenses mounted properly on the camera then they will work. The most likely explanation is that the menu setting to allow use of the aperture ring was 'off'. This is the default as it is not needed with modern DA series lenses and the demo camera in the store most likely has not had it turned on. Read the article Adam posted for more explanation. The setting on the k-30 is Menu>C>4>23 "Using Aperture Ring" Set this to on.
06-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome and Enjoy your K-30 when you get it

06-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

This information from the Pentax USA site may also help. Using K-30 With Older Lenses | Pentax Support

Regards
06-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi thanks for all the responses.

I'm pretty confident that this is going to work then. Look forward to buying the camera!

F.