Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #1

Polarizing Filter for M42?

Hello everybody!

As some of you may know i've got 2 old Pentax camera's (ES and Spotmatic) with a few lenses which have the M42 mount if i'm right. Now, i am a big fan of photographing automobiles, and i've heard that a Polarizing Filter is very useful for that sort of thing. Are there any available for the M42 mount?

Many thanks already!

06-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It's nothing to do with the mount; all to do with the filter thread, (the opposite end of the lens).

Just check the filter thread size and then look around for a PF of that size. If you intend using on a film camera only you'll be ok with a linear PF. If you expect to use the lenses/PF on a digital camera, you'll need a circular PF.

If the filter threads are different sizes, then you could buy a PF for the larger one together with an adapter that'll allow you to mount the PF on the smaller one, but be aware if you go this route the lens hood for the smaller one won't fit with the larger PF.
06-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of the Takumars take a 49mm filter. A few of them such as the S-M-C 135mm f/2.5 and the S-M-C 85mm f/1.8 take a 58mm one.

As JohnX says its nothing to do with the mount, just the filter size. If you have modern cameras as well as the M42 ones get a filter that will work on both if you can. There are lots of combinations and it depends on what lenses you have. A 58mm CPL with step down rings to 52mm and 49mm will cover most lenses for Pentax except the more modern ones.