Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I do have renters' insurance, so I could always go that route. I'm rethinking on if its a scratch of a stain, I'm thinking its a stain again. I just can't think of anything to get liquefied then hardened pencil eraser off the surface without really damaging things.

At least the camera is still useful (sort of) in that I can do close focus/wide aperture shots.
Read you renter's insurance policy carefully. Also check your deductible, most are in the $500 - $1,000 range. Also, something like this most likely would not be covered. Every claim, assuming it is covered under the policy is subject to the deductible. And, assuming the claim is paid, when your policy comes up for renewal expect an increase in premium. Then when you look for new coverage, that claim is going to show on your record.

The best way to cover the camera and all of your gear is either an inland marine (floater) endorsement to your policy or a separate inland marine policy. Discuss this with your agent so that you know exactly what is and is not covered by your policy.

Jay

07-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
If you have the same pencil handy, why not rub it on a piece of glass, and then use that to experiment on cleaning? Then if you find something that works you can try it on the sensor. that way you are not repeatedly scrubbing things on the sensor glass.
You are repeating what I suggested in post 14 and 28
07-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member

90% or higher rubbing alchohol should take that eraser junk off pretty quick.

And if it doesn't, cleaning it with some citris based cleaner (goo-gone, etc.) should get it off.. and then you should be able to use the alchohol to get the remnants of the citrus based cleaner off.
07-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Perhaps we should wait for the OP to come back with an update.

In any event, I hope there will be no attempt at insurance fraud. I'm always puzzled by suggestions that imply essentially illegal behaviour.

07-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
You are repeating what I suggested in post 14 and 28
Sorry, must mot have been awake that day.
07-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Perhaps we should wait for the OP to come back with an update.
So far, no luck. The eraser (if it WAS the eraser and not something else in there) has basically become like a coat of shellac on the glass. I'm going to need to either find something really caustic and be careful as hell, or start exploring options for repair or replacement.

The camera is still usable, if I don't mind living in the land of sub f/2.8ish aperture.
07-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
So far, no luck. The eraser (if it WAS the eraser and not something else in there) has basically become like a coat of shellac on the glass. I'm going to need to either find something really caustic and be careful as hell, or start exploring options for repair or replacement.
HI

I have not been able to find out whether the glass has any sort of coating on it. But if it has, which is possible for anti reflective reasons, then it is possible your talented helper has destroyed it. Of course then replacement glass is the only way out.

Greetings

09-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
HI

I have not been able to find out whether the glass has any sort of coating on it. But if it has, which is possible for anti reflective reasons, then it is possible your talented helper has destroyed it. Of course then replacement glass is the only way out.

Greetings
I once needed an optical flat to lap something flat and I used a spare UV filter. The very fine lapping compound left marks on the surface just like on the sensor. I attribute this to the wearing through of the multicoating down to the glass surface. The coating thickness would be about 1/4 of a micron probably (0.00001 inch). All the sensor surfaces I have seen are definitely coated / multicoated.