Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Pentax warranty is for manufacturer defects - how is this a manufacturer defect?
Square Trade warranty is for accidental drops and spills - how is this accidental?

Chalk the cost of a sensor or camera up to irresponsible parenting - you can't leave a 2 year old alone for even a second. You should be glad it is only a camera and not something where the toddler was rushed to the hospital.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's how I see it.

06-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I hope I will be able to delay these moments as much as possible.
My little "mascot" is getting more curious every day... fortunately he is still to small to do anything... yet.

Pentax most probably will not replace the camera since is physical damage.
Hopefully your deal with B&H will cover it.

Hope that at least you have a back-up camera.
These are the moments where they really shine while you wait for the replacement.
06-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Try getting some zeiss wipes from Walmart. They are cheap and plentiful and get almost anything off.
Hmmm.... I am intrigued. I'll definitely file this info away in case I run into a severe case of the sensor crud. If it's a wipe, what do you use to swab the sensor? Q-Tip? Something else?

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I would claim that the photo shows the Holy Spirit entering a church through the spire and sell it to a magazine.
After all, the image has not been digitally altered and a forensic analysis of the image data will back this up.

I recommend selling the photo for $1196.95.

Which coincidentally happens to be the price of a K5IIs.
The cut of your jib... I like it.
06-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by faceless_el Quote
Norm, not sure if it was you who had asked me this already on another one of my post. **edit** checked and it was someone else who had asked https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/227799-sensorklear...ty-sensor.html

I don't know how one gets fingerprints on their sensor... on mine, well it was a used pentax that i got on evilbay, seller did not divulge the fact that sensor had fingerprints.

PS. Like the OP, i guess you could leave the mirror up and have your child do whatever they do to the sensor when it is exposed (fingers or pencils)
That's just frightening....

06-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
If neither Pentax nor Squaretrade will cover the repairs, maybe Jody could file a 'vandalism' claim against his home owner's insurance policy. Of course this claim would be subject to a deductible and the insurance company might demand a police report on the incident..... I suppose juvenile courts could pass sentence on a 2 year-old to do community service - probably to sweep streets with dad pushing the stroller and holding the dust pan.
06-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Been thinking, perhaps the camera could be converted to IR photography? At least then it will regain some value.
07-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Oops I dropped my camera out of the car accidentally and ran over it 3 times by mistake?

07-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
If neither Pentax nor Squaretrade will cover the repairs, maybe Jody could file a 'vandalism' claim against his home owner's insurance policy. Of course this claim would be subject to a deductible and the insurance company might demand a police report on the incident..... I suppose juvenile courts could pass sentence on a 2 year-old to do community service - probably to sweep streets with dad pushing the stroller and holding the dust pan.
I do have renters' insurance, so I could always go that route. I'm rethinking on if its a scratch of a stain, I'm thinking its a stain again. I just can't think of anything to get liquefied then hardened pencil eraser off the surface without really damaging things.

At least the camera is still useful (sort of) in that I can do close focus/wide aperture shots.
07-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #24
Veteran Member

if you are in an all or nothing mood, Magic Erasers work pretty good, have to control the particulate from the Magic eraser itself, but if you cut a small square and use a Q-tip to maneuver it, might work?
07-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Hmmm.... I am intrigued. I'll definitely file this info away in case I run into a severe case of the sensor crud. If it's a wipe, what do you use to swab the sensor? Q-Tip? Something else?
If I understand correctly, and it's like my wet-cleaning kit, you fold/wrap the wipe around the end of a flat, square-ended tool (my kit came with a plastic tool, but I've read of using cut-down fast-food plastic knives) and secure it with a rubber band. Then wipe the sensor with a couple straight, even strokes.
07-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
The glass was practically crumbling under even the least bit of pressure to it
Hi

I am not sure what to make of this, do you mean to say the sensor surface crumbled like a dry biscuit ? How is that possible.

From the sample image you provided, to the best of my remote assessment, it does not look like a scratch but a buildup of muck or gooey deposit.
Have you tried to replicate this problem as I suggested above ?

Greetings
07-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I am not sure what to make of this, do you mean to say the sensor surface crumbled like a dry biscuit ? How is that possible.

From the sample image you provided, to the best of my remote assessment, it does not look like a scratch but a buildup of muck or gooey deposit.
Have you tried to replicate this problem as I suggested above ?

Greetings
I'm thinking what I took as crumbling glass may have just been my smearing the gooed eraser all over the place. It *feels* like its a scratch, but I think its just the glass -> rubber -> glass I'm feeling.
07-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'm thinking what I took as crumbling glass may have just been my smearing the gooed eraser all over the place. It *feels* like its a scratch, but I think its just the glass -> rubber -> glass I'm feeling.

I think you were a bit anxious and I still think this whole thing can be rescued ! I would love to get my hands on this. Just keep a cool head and work yourself through this step by step. Muck of this magnitude requires a slightly different approach.

As mentioned before your best bet is to replicate this problem on a piece of glass. (if you don't have a piece go to your local glazier and ask for a few off cuts from their waste bin) Clean the glass so it is very clean and fool around with the same pencil as your gifted child did. Then follow up with what you did.

Go to your local chemist shop and get a small amount of Ethanol (he will sell it to you in a small eye dropper bottle.)

Purchase from e-bay micro fiber cloth: Dust AID Dust Cloth FOR CCD Cmos Sensor Cleaning X 50 | eBay

1) Remove the cloth from some spent plastic swabs.

2) Cut strips of the above mentioned micro fiber cloth the width of the plastic swabs.

3) Now take a Q-TIP (Cotton swab) soak it in the Ethanol and dab this right over the muck on the glass. Hold it there for a moment to allow the dissolving process to take place.

4) Take a piece of fiber cloth strip drape over the flat spatula like end of the plastic swaps and hold it either side of the stem with thumb and index finger

5) Now swipe over the muck with firm but measured pressure one way only (say from right to left) then shift to a fresh section of the cloth on the swab end and wipe the other way.

You will have to repeat step 3 to 5 several times always using a fresh swab.

6) Finally if everything is clear take a fresh swab and dry swipe it over the sensor to polish off. Always just move in one direction and for the return swipe in the other direction use a fresh section of the cloth.

If Ethanol does not do it you could try "Isopropyl alcohol" which is used by the commercially sold sensor cleaning people, but it is difficult to obtain in small quantities from your chemist. You will have to buy it from the sensor cleaning people at an inflated price.

You could also try just plain water. For your test run on the glass tap water would be o.k. but on the camera I would use distilled water.

If you feel confident you could short shift the glass trial and go straight to the camera, there is not a lot you can do wrong, really.

Also invest in a sensor loupe like this one:
GGS CCD SLR Sensor Cleaning Cleaner Magnifier Loupe 5X | eBay
I have this one and find it extremely useful and I couldn't work without it now.

Finally, do not be intimidated by all the sensor cleaning scaremongering. If your talented 2 Year Old did not succeed in uprooting the sensor by poking wildly at it with a pencil, be assured your measured swiping won't do it either. The manufacturer provides a mirror up function in anticipation that a sensor cleaning process has to take place sooner or later either by the user or service centres and to build a sensor assembly that is easily destroyed by this is not in their interest.

Hope I have been able to instill some confidence in you.

Greetings
07-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Oh goat.... That is quite a hassle.. Just spray some water in there and claim WR defect..
07-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

If you have the same pencil handy, why not rub it on a piece of glass, and then use that to experiment on cleaning? Then if you find something that works you can try it on the sensor. that way you are not repeatedly scrubbing things on the sensor glass.