Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure my camera did this, but....

Recently I purchased the k-5 II. I'm so far, very happy with it by the way. However, as I was playing around with it tonight, I seem to have lost or forgotten how to do something. I'm quite sure when I first got my new camera, that it had a feature where when you are using live view and auto-focusing on something farther away...the camera would automatically zoom in for finer focus adjustment. Now, for the life of me, I cannot get it to repeat this action, which leads me to believe that I was only dreaming before. I have searched the owners manual, and searched through the camera's menu extensively. If this wasn't a dream, and my camera really can do this, would somebody mind showing me the way?

Thanks

06-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You weren't dreaming, and it is in the menus (at least on the K5 and the K-01), but sicne I am at work I can't walk you through it because I have to be able to do somethign while walking someoen through it.
06-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
camera settings 1, go to AF/MF Settings, tick AF Autozoom when Manual Focusing try pressing the OK button. By the way this was on my K-01 probably similar to your K-5II hope it helps. Enjoy.
06-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, when you are in liveview, you can successively hit the [info] button and progressively zoom in (then use the arrow keys to move around to an area of your choosing) in order to adjust the focus. When done, you can continue to hit the [info] button until you return to your normal view.

06-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was trying to find that yesterday...thanks. OK button works on the K30 too. Now if I can just remember that...I might just try out live view now and then...
06-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tzrenz0 Quote
camera settings 1, go to AF/MF Settings, tick AF Autozoom when Manual Focusing try pressing the OK button. By the way this was on my K-01 probably similar to your K-5II hope it helps. Enjoy.
Nope, my k-5 II in camera settings 1 just has AF Settings > AUTO AF Point Setting, and Expanded Area AF. Neither of those are what does what I want it to do.
06-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Also, when you are in liveview, you can successively hit the [info] button and progressively zoom in (then use the arrow keys to move around to an area of your choosing) in order to adjust the focus. When done, you can continue to hit the [info] button until you return to your normal view.

I know about hitting the Info button in live view to be able to zoom in. This isn't exactly what I was trying to find. Before, I was sure I was able to press the shutter button down half way to engage auto focus (while in live view), and the camera would automatically zoom into whatever was in the centre of the frame so you could see fine focus adjustment.

06-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about the menu layout of the II but on my K5 classic, it's on Rec Mode(First Tab) / Option 4 / Live View / Then Choose Contrast AF.
06-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
I'm not sure about the menu layout of the II but on my K5 classic, it's on Rec Mode(First Tab) / Option 4 / Live View / Then Choose Contrast AF.
Thanks....that's it!
06-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
I know about hitting the Info button in live view to be able to zoom in. This isn't exactly what I was trying to find. Before, I was sure I was able to press the shutter button down half way to engage auto focus (while in live view), and the camera would automatically zoom into whatever was in the centre of the frame so you could see fine focus adjustment.
This behavior was quite obvious on my K-r. In LiveView, the camera did #1-a digital zoom, #2-focused, then #3-returned to normal view.

I can come close, but not exact on my K-30 .... I have to set two menu options: AF Contrast needs to be set to 'Spot' and AF Autozoom set to 'on'. The behavior is still a bit different than my K-r. What then happens on my K-30 is #1-the lens focuses with a half-press of the shutter (you may have autofocus set up differently on your camera)., then #2-if you hold the half-press position, LiveView will digitally zoom on the center.#3-After either taking the picture or releasing the button, LiveView returns to normal view.

During the digitally zoomed view, turning the rear wheel on the K-30 changes the amount of zoom. And, if you don't hold the half-press, rather focus and immediately release the shutter button, you will get a momentary zoom.

Note that I am also using focus peaking with LiveView on my k-30, and did not test if the above changes when this function is turned off. And, my AF/AE-L button is normally set to only lock exposure. I didn't take the time to test what happens if you use this button for AF purposes, but suspect it would make using the LiveView autozoom function much easier.