Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #1

Exposure in manual mode with k30

Hello, need help. I just bought a k30, and I can't figure out how the meter displays recommended exposure in manual mode.
I'm used to using film cameras where the needle indicates average exposure. What am I missing? Thanks, Bob.

06-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robhau30 Quote
Hello, need help. I just bought a k30, and I can't figure out how the meter displays recommended exposure in manual mode.
I'm used to using film cameras where the needle indicates average exposure. What am I missing? Thanks, Bob.
There's a light meter at the bottom of the screen / in the VF. Like on old cameras, you want it to be in the center

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Rob,
I am assuming that what you may be getting at is that your exposure meter is not displaying anything prior to taking the picture. I have been asked this before by other shooters. Make sure that you depress the shutter half way before trying to read the meter. When you press the shutter half way that is your signal to the camera to start responding to your surroundings and then you should see a mark on the meter in your view finder. Hope this helps.
06-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
I knew that part, but what I didn't know was how to read the exposure. I called Pentax, and customer service
told me to adjust the shutter and aperture till the ev scale reaches 0, and that is the average exposure,
like making those adjustments till the needle splits the circle with a film camera. After hearing that I feel
stupid.

06-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
Forum Member

No need to feel stupid, that is what this section is for. Trust me I have asked my fair share of dumb questions. I had a whole thread going with a bunch of people trying to help me figure out why the LCD screen on my K5 was going in and out. It took someone to simply think outside the box and without me even telling him this he said "I bet you have a battery grip dont you? I bet you are hitting the shutter button on the battery grip which is causing the screen to flicker'

Sure enough he was totally right hahaha. Glad you got your answer and are on your way!
06-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Forum Member

Also if you've gone into the menus and enabled the Electronic Level, the bar scale will be showing that instead of the exposure. Something else to watch out for.
06-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #7

Just for the record mate I learnt on manual too (Zenit 11 of all things) but have not used manual on my K-30. As a result of this thread, I have just tried it and took a really boring photo but really liked the control I once had and the end result exposure wise so I will be using M more in future when I have the time because that old balance between shutter speed and aperture is something I think helps my photography so thank you for the thread.

06-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
At least for me, one of the biggest pluses about manual exposure is it allows (forces, actually) you to mentally do your own histogram and do your own exposure compensation. Once you are good at it, it is almost as fast as shooting in one of the (semi) automatic modes and using the actual exposure compensation for that mode.