Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The K-x does not support AF Adjust. Focus can be globally adjusted with firmware, but it is not shown in the manual, and is not something to play around with unless extensive testing has determined the camera is at fault.
And please accept my apologies. I thought AF Fine Adjust was a menu setting the K-r inherited from the K-x. I should have downloaded the manual before assuming this. It is still easy to test for AF accuracy using the previously suggested tool, but changes are a bit more complicated on the K-x.

07-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did need to do the AF micro adjust on my K-x to get better pics. You can use debug mode to fine tune focusing. It's not in the K-x manual. You have to see how to do it following the steps described HERE.
(FIXED link thanks to JimJohnson)

Last edited by mgvh; 07-01-2013 at 12:08 PM.
07-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
I did need to do the AF micro adjust on my K-x to get better pics. You can use debug mode to fine tune focusing. It's not in the K-x manual. You have to see how to do it following the steps described HERE.
The post includes a bad link. Here is the corrected link:
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment
07-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #19

Original Poster
The K-x does not support AF Adjust. Focus can be globally adjusted with firmware, but it is not shown in the manual, and is not something to play around with unless extensive testing has determined the camera is at fault. In this case, there are things that have been raised (like AF-C) before a conclusion is made.

Hope, what focus method are you using?
I was using AF-C as suggested by my teacher in my class, however, those using this camera said I should change it to AF - S which I have now done but I haven't had a chance to take any more photos yet so I want to give that a try first. I have also read the manual again on metering and I have a question... I understand "how" the camera is using the metering but I don't know "which" metering would be a good one for a beginning user for the best results. It was set on center weighted for these pictures and I still have it there because if I was centering my shots, then I figured this would be a more accurate metering method. It was mentioned here that should have it on matrix metering but I can't find any info on "matrix" metering.... mine has multi segmented, center weighted and spot metering. Is center weighted the right one for most situations? I am using a K-x.

I have read some of the info on back focusing, but I'm not quite sure I'm going to mess with that yet until I've had time to learn more about the camera first unless from my photos, I really need to do this NOW to fix part of my problems. It seems to focus fine on macro shots and landscapes but midrange shots are those that are out of focus most often.... hence my portrait photos...

I've taken some really nice photos with this camera....and I've started to post a few of those on flickr at: Flickr: Hope9811's Photostream
(hope9811 user name) but was trying to "fix" some of the issues with a few of these that I have taken and posted for comments as I realize that a lot of it is operator error and that I just need to learn and understand more so... I'm looking for "help" from the experts! LOL.

07-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hope9811 Quote
I understand "how" the camera is using the metering but I don't know "which" metering would be a good one for a beginning user for the best results. It was set on center weighted for these pictures and I still have it there because if I was centering my shots, then I figured this would be a more accurate metering method. It was mentioned here that should have it on matrix metering but I can't find any info on "matrix" metering.... mine has multi segmented, center weighted and spot metering. Is center weighted the right one for most situations? I am using a K-x.
Matrix metering is the same as Multi-Segment metering, Pentax just uses a different name. There's no "best" metering method. You need to know how each works, and how to use them. The camera can measure and determine exposure, but has no clue about the photographer's intent. That's why people sometimes use the different metering modes, as well as Manual exposure or Exposure Compensation.

Most photographers have a preferred (default) metering method, and most probably use Matrix. I have several cameras. I use Matrix Metering predominately with all of them, all that is, except for the K-x. I found that the K-x exposed a bit hotter than my older Pentaxes, and frequently burned the highlights in Multi-Segment mode. I found it easier to judge metering in CW mode, and that became my default for the K-x.

You didn't quite answer my question about focus method. You addressed constant focus vs. single focus, but not the AF point. I use all; Center Focus point, Manual Focus, Select AF, Auto AF. I believe that Center Focus & Recompose is best for general use, especially with the K-x, which lacks illuminated focal points.

Your photos look good, but it's hard to judge focus with small photos. I don't think there's anything wrong with your camera, I think you just received bad advice from your teacher regarding AF-C. Default should be AF-S for stills, AF-C is for action.
07-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Hope, If I may ask, did you buy your camera new or used? If you bought it used I can't help to wonder if the previous owner has already adjusted the camera's AF for his/her specific lens and inadvertently caused problems for other ones, namely yours.
07-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Hope, If I may ask, did you buy your camera new or used? If you bought it used I can't help to wonder if the previous owner has already adjusted the camera's AF for his/her specific lens and inadvertently caused problems for other ones, namely yours.
I did buy it used but it came with the kit lens and the 70-300 lens which I am using. I did buy a 50 1.7 manual lens though which I love the colors of! LOL. It gives some nice photos but that's another topic....

Ok...so I'm a newbie.... I don't understand the question what "focusing" method are you using.... LOL. Inside the viewfinder there are brackets. I'm centering my item within the middle ( ) brackets, pushing the button half way, waiting for it to show me the anti shake sign and focus light and then taking the picture. I'm not trying to lock the focus and then reposition or recompose it or anything.... simply center, focus and shoot! I figured I'd learn to recompose later although I have done a little of that with macros of flowers and such but not on these photos. When I recomposed my flowers by locking the focus and then moving the camera to give me a better picture, those turned out fine. With these photos I simple centered, waited for it to auto focus and took the picture....

Thanks for the info on metering.... I think maybe I'll try the multi segmented and see how it does. I can see from my photos how the center metered did so now I'll play some with the multi segmented and try some similar shots....

07-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I don't understand the question what "focusing" method are you using.... LOL.
In the camera shooting menu, page 2 at the bottom, select AF point (11-point, 5-point, select point, spot). See page 117 in the manual for an explanation.
07-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #24

Original Poster
In the camera shooting menu, page 2 at the bottom, select AF point (11-point, 5-point, select point, spot). See page 117 in the manual for an explanation.
Oh! LOL. I do know what those are! I guess I was just confused. I am using the spot option because I had heard on this forum that the 11 and 5 didn't work well.
07-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Inside the viewfinder there are brackets. I'm centering my item within the middle ( ) brackets, pushing the button half way, waiting for it to show me the anti shake sign and focus light and then taking the picture. I'm not trying to lock the focus and then reposition or recompose it or anything.... simply center, focus and shoot! I figured I'd learn to recompose later although I have done a little of that with macros of flowers and such but not on these photos. When I recomposed my flowers by locking the focus and then moving the camera to give me a better picture, those turned out fine. With these photos I simple centered, waited for it to auto focus and took the picture....
I am using the spot option because I had heard on this forum that the 11 and 5 didn't work well.
Sounds like you're all set then. Let us know how it works out for you.
07-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #26

Original Poster
Ok...made the adjustments and still...photo attached...

Ok....so I made some changes and the boys are still way out of focus....

AE mode
f5.6 (some suggested to use a wide apeture so I went from an f9 to a 5.6 because I want both boys in focus)
ISO 100
auto white balance
metering mode center weighted
flash used (since it was in the shade on their front porch)
Spot AF point
AF single point
center weighted metering
hand held so image shake on

Any more suggestios? Just so you can see my confusion, here is my flickr account with some of my better photos.... I just can't figure out why "people" are so awful.... I do have my color set to vivid but that shouldn't make them out of focus.... It seems that close up and far away are fine.... but that middle range is out of focus.... please tell me it's operator error and not a camera issue as I bought it used so I can't "return" it. If it IS a camera issue, what then?

Flickr: Hope9811's Photostream
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
07-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the pic you shared of the boys, the camera did exactly what it thought you wanted it to do! It is focused perfectly on the center spot which is that bush outside the window. Either you need to turn the camera and focus on one of the boys' faces, then, holding the shutter half way down, reframe and shoot.
A better option is to use Select AF Point. Cf. pg 117 in the K-x manual.
07-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you focus on the center, miss the boys and just get the grass in the background?

Can you switch the camera to mf and see if you can get anything in focus in the middle of that zoom range?

I have a Kx and have never seen any real focus issues of this magnitude.
07-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #29

Original Poster
Unfortunately, I'm thinking my camera is experiencing the backfocusing problem as the field "behind" the boys is in focus..... or could this be caused by the DOF? I took another picture on full auto, and the trees behind the people are more in focus also.... this appears to be happening with more than one lens... Will using the "debug" option fix this for all lenses?

Anyone have any experience with this as I am a total newbie and don't want to mess where I shouldn't If I don't have to.....but.....if I HAVE to.... any helps or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also... once I do debug once, do I have to do it again or is a one time experiment till it's right and then it's over with....
07-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #30

Original Poster
That's possible because I would have put the focus point in the middle of the two of them.... but how would I get "both" boys in focus without putting the center focus between them? Please pardon my inexperience....that's why I'm here! LOL.