Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #46

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
By Jove, I think you are getting it down...

Hope going back to your first comment... You want to learn to take prof photos of your kids. That is the very reason I got my first Dslr.

Read the understanding exposure book... as you get more acquainted with the settings on the camera and how the Aperture/shutterspeed/ISO's all play together (the book will help a lot)

But in the end, to get those kinds of shots of your kids I think you are talking about, you will need a fast, prime lens. When you have dialed in the camera, and are ready for the lens... we will be hear ready to confuse you some more... haha

I took these snaps of my daughters today in the backyard. hardly pro, but probably inline with what you want to shoot with your family... get comfortable with the camera, and then it is all about the lens really.

Beautiful! That's exactly what I want to accomplish.... everyday NICE shots of my family. I would like to stage some at times, but want to just capture "them" at other moments with the clarity that you have! I'll do the next test that Dan recommends and post that photo and go from there. I'll play some more and be back for lens recommendations! LOL.

07-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #47

Original Poster
Brick wall photo

OK.....so I took this brick wall picture a little ways away and the lowest f the lens would go..... it is at 5.6. It looks "distorted" to me. Is it suppose to be that way? It makes me queasy to look at it! LOL.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
07-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hope9811 Quote
....How long did it take you to get comfortable with the camera and how it works when you had your first DSLR? These pictures are better once again so I'm hoping I'll eventually get there! On the bright side, I learned a good lesson on spot focusing and some fun results of how it worked. :-)
I thought I was pretty good when I picked up my first DSLR. I was wrong - possibly not pretty good even now.

Progress does come with practice and practice is easier with digital. The models may not always be cooperative.

Partly the camera can do more and experimentation is free, so I try more stuff, which I haven't mastered. Partly because I never saw how good others were.
07-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hope9811 Quote
OK.....so I took this brick wall picture a little ways away and the lowest f the lens would go..... it is at 5.6. It looks "distorted" to me. Is it suppose to be that way? It makes me queasy to look at it! LOL.
Looks like pincushion effect to me. Easily corrected in whatever editing software you use. You can also try shooting that same shot at F8 and the effect may be gone.

07-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #50

Original Poster
How do I correct that in the software? I'll try again at F8 and see how it does.... Thanks!
07-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I use Corel Paint Shop Pro 5 and from there you can correct pincushion or barrel distortion from the "Adjust" menu. Try both to see how you like the effect. The same feature is available in Photoshop
07-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #52
Veteran Member

sounds like you're looking to take lots of portrait or at minimum people as your subject. Well, before we suspect any camera problem, let's start with a few setting.

1) turn your dial to auto mode
2) turn your ISO into "auto ISO mode" and if you can set the range, set it from 100-3200
3) change your focus to "auto"

Point to the subject half press the shutter, you see your subject in focus? press shutter full, that's it.

If you're looking to get more complicated, you'll need to read up on some stuff about how to control your camera, and a little bit on depth of field and portraiture, all of this can be accomplished in an hour or two with your camera, you don't even need a person to test this stuff out, use something as a prop to test, a fan, a chair, ect...

Here's a little cheat sheet, it might help you out

http://media.digitalcameraworld.com/files/2012/05/Depth_of_field_photography_cheat_sheet.jpg

07-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
3) change your focus to "auto"
I often see threads where someone new to DSLR's is complaining about missing focus, photos aren't sharp, their p&s took better photos, etc. Most of these complaints are because they allowed the camera to guess at the intended target. The focal point is so critical, I almost never leave it up to the camera to manage.
07-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I often see threads where someone new to DSLR's is complaining about missing focus, photos aren't sharp, their p&s took better photos, etc. Most of these complaints are because they allowed the camera to guess at the intended target. The focal point is so critical, I almost never leave it up to the camera to manage.
the camera ain't that bad, especially with large target. it does have trouble in low light, small target, low contrast ect.. ect.. but generally I find it ok.

I don't let my AF point for the camera to decide, but the OP is new, so that might makes life easier.