Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

K-30 Creaking Sound

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a newbie...
I've noticed as of late, a creaking sound from the back, right of my K-30 whenever I grip it and place my thumb against the thumb rest.
Also, if I squeeze just a bit, I can see movement at the seam just above the thumb rest. Whole thing feels quite flexible.
Though I have no plans to immerse the camera in water, I do plan to go out in the rain from time to time.
Might there be a weather seal issue?

Is this weird or is it simply the camera wearing in?
Or do I simply have amazingly powerful thumbs?
Nervous.

Thanks.

06-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #2

Original Poster
BTW... tried to duplicate this on my K-x. Nothing at all. Solid.
06-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the K-30 is still warranty,claim warranty it before it runs out, who know you can get replacement with a new k-30 body
06-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I noticed the same issue with my K-30 not long ago. Especially when it has a heavy lens/flash mounted and I try to pick it up.
Mine has been out in the snow/rain/sleet before without any issues, but now that you mention it, it really might be a good idea to claim it just it case...

06-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I just picked up my K-30 out of curiosity. No creaking sound from the thumb rest but my thumb also often presses against the edge of the SD card cover and I hear a slight noise. I consider that as normal as the cover is a moving part. Are you sure you are not doing the same thing?
06-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I just picked up my K-30 out of curiosity. No creaking sound from the thumb rest but my thumb also often presses against the edge of the SD card cover and I hear a slight noise. I consider that as normal as the cover is a moving part. Are you sure you are not doing the same thing?

This is my area of concern:

The rest of the grip doesn't creak, just that area where the thumb rest/front wheel are.

Sounds like it may be the same area OP is describing...
06-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rock solid on mine and yes a creak from the front grip would concern me greatly too.

06-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote

The rest of the grip doesn't creak, just that area where the thumb rest/front wheel are.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you get to rest your thumb where you indicated
06-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you get to rest your thumb where you indicated
Wait, can we back up a bit... now I feel really stupid.
Is this not the area we are talking about or have I been holding my K30 the wrong way the whole time?

I hear the creak and feel the looseness on the front grip where my middle finger is positioned... (sorry for awkward photos; kind hard to hold one camera and take a photo with another)
06-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you look at the bare magnesium body of the K5, you can see that the grip is mounted (glued?) as single part in front of it, there is nothing in between. If the K-30 has the same construction, it's probably only a loose grip. Moreover, just behind the front grip is the battery compartment, so there's nothing essential that can be harmed.
06-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote

I think the OP was referring to the 'other thumb rest' on the back of the camera. And I agree, creaks from the front grip are cause for concern. Creaks from the thumb rest are a concern IF they are NOT coming from the thumb pressing against the edge of the SD card door.
Attached Images

06-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just wanted to buy the K50 instead of the K-500 because of its extra seals, to avoid creaks ...
06-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I think the OP was referring to the 'other thumb rest' on the back of the camera. And I agree, creaks from the front grip are cause for concern. Creaks from the thumb rest are a concern IF they are NOT coming from the thumb pressing against the edge of the SD card door
When I press/push my thumb against the actual thumb rest, I hear the creak and see a bit of movement at the upper seam. I opened the SD card door to get it out of the way and (insert Zeppelin reference) The Sound Remains the Same (sorry).

As far as I can tell, it's the movement at the seam creating the noise. It's annoying since the camera is always in my face... like an insect sound. The camera has never been dropped or subjected to any other trauma, and exhibits no performance issues.

So, do you guys (thanks for the input, btw) believe this is the harbinger of things to come and therefore a warranty issue? I don't have my paperwork with me right now... what is the Pentax warranty?
06-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
If you look at the bare magnesium body of the K5, you can see that the grip is mounted (glued?) as single part in front of it, there is nothing in between. If the K-30 has the same construction, it's probably only a loose grip.
Yes. That might account for the flexibility... there just isn't anything there.
Hmmmm.
06-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by strangeboy Quote
what is the Pentax warranty?
Unless you paid for the extension, there is a one-year warranty. If under warranty, I think both you and Julie need to contact Pentax and arrange for repairs/replacements.