Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #1

Are AF adjustments the norm?

Hi,

Bit of a lurker here but I have a question with regard to the newer generation Pentax cameras (particulary the K5/II/IIs and the K30)...is it the norm to have to make fine tune adjustments in order to hit correct focus with these cameras?

For some history...I have a K30 that I've had for about a month. It's consistently front focusing (it's just slightly off). I'm using the following lenses...FA 50 1.7, Sigma 70-200 2.8 (second generation, no HSM), DA 18-55, DA 50-200.

I've come to the K30 from the K100D (used exclusively since 2007...over 75,000 acutations). That camera was never off the mark, need no adjustments, and even cranked out good, sharp action shots with the kit lenses....so I'm perplexed and bothered with the issues I'm seeing with the K30.

I have dyslexic tendancies and the thought of having to fine tune the body to each of my lenses makes me cringe (I know it's simple, but not to a dyslexic). I'm thinking of shipping the K30 back to Pentax for a warranty repair at this point.

Any thoughts/comments???

06-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skeeter Quote
Hi,

Bit of a lurker here but I have a question with regard to the newer generation Pentax cameras (particulary the K5/II/IIs and the K30)...is it the norm to have to make fine tune adjustments in order to hit correct focus with these cameras?

For some history...I have a K30 that I've had for about a month. It's consistently front focusing (it's just slightly off). I'm using the following lenses...FA 50 1.7, Sigma 70-200 2.8 (second generation, no HSM), DA 18-55, DA 50-200.

I've come to the K30 from the K100D (used exclusively since 2007...over 75,000 acutations). That camera was never off the mark, need no adjustments, and even cranked out good, sharp action shots with the kit lenses....so I'm perplexed and bothered with the issues I'm seeing with the K30.

I have dyslexic tendancies and the thought of having to fine tune the body to each of my lenses makes me cringe (I know it's simple, but not to a dyslexic). I'm thinking of shipping the K30 back to Pentax for a warranty repair at this point.

Any thoughts/comments???
I have 2 K5 and a K5 iis and they all need adjustments...In my case they all back focus...the K5s have been consistent so all the lens are the same amount off...the k5 iis is different for each lens...IMO i don't warranty is going to improve your situation
06-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have dyslexic tendancies and the thought of having to fine tune the body to each of my lenses makes me cringe (I know it's simple, but not to a dyslexic).
The K-5 has two ways of making AF-fine adjustments:
  1. per lens.
  2. globally, i.e., correcting the camera.
The second option gives you the same adjustment for each lens. You'd only have to set this once.

I'm assuming the K-30 has the same option.

Given your K100D experience, this may address your issues (as you do not seem to have lenses that require a large amount of individual correction).

In general, some level of adjustment appears to be normal. However, I've read from many K-5 II users that they didn't need any kind of correction so far. I'm seeing the same on my lenses, but I haven't checked them out a 100% yet.
06-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had my K5 for over two years and haven't had to adjust a single lens. My K7, however, needed adjusting on almost everything.

06-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
My K-r had a slight front focus. I tweaked it and keep an eye on my depth of field (set the green button to DOF stopdown). My K-30 is so far performing well with my most frequently used lenses, but I should probably set up the tools to see if any tweaking might be needed. I programmed the RAW/Fx button to do a DOF stopdown. Visually checking DOF is a habit that dates back 30 years, so this is no big deal to me.
06-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm supposing that you might be seeing flaws that were impossible to spot with the 6 MP resolution of your K100D, but now show wih 16 MP of resolution.

Small adjustments might or might not be necessary. With my K20D, only one lens ever showed that it required AF adjustment, but a colleague's K-5 required a slight global offset.
06-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

They need to have some tolerances, if you want it to be 99% perfect out of the factory the cost will go up quite a bit...

06-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies! Sounds like I will have to make adjustments then, as my results do not have the sharpness that I'm used to seeing with the K100D. Even bringing the sharpening up in PP isn't quite cutting it for me.

Perhaps my expectations are too high?????
06-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #9

My Sigma 100-300 needed quite a large adjustment on my K20D (+9) but it's pretty much perfect on my K5II which is odd because my other lenses didn't need adjustment on either body?
06-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #10

Original Poster
Actually, I have another question...when setting your personal preferences in the Customs menu...what level of sharpness do people typically apply?
06-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey Skeeter. Welcome.

I'm pretty new to this stuff too (less than a year) and I was shocked to learn that lenses will sometimes need adjustments. Why don't they work out of the box?!

This article was really helpful in helping me manage my expectations regarding the QC of lenses and cameras. LensRentals.com - “This Lens Is Soft” and Other Facts

And this is what I use to help me perform AF adjustments on my camera and lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/221392-ghetto-...ion-chart.html

Cheers

E
06-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, the adjustment is actually a great tool to improve the whole experience. Though, it would be great if the camera could do AF adjust automatically (in combination with CD AF or asking the user) and if it could remember more individual lenses, but its better to have AF adjust available than not.
You can leave it at 0 if you are satisfied with your images, change it if they aren't adequate (in terms of AF)
06-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Sounds like I will have to make adjustments then, as my results do not have the sharpness that I'm used to seeing with the K100D. Even bringing the sharpening up in PP isn't quite cutting it for me.

Perhaps my expectations are too high?????
A 16MP image implies higher magnification compared to a 6MP image. Don't expect the same sharpness at the pixel-level without considerably cranking up the sharpness level. I jumped from a K100D to a K-5 II and my sharpening level in LR is now roughly triple what I've had before.
06-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
A 16MP image implies higher magnification compared to a 6MP image. Don't expect the same sharpness at the pixel-level without considerably cranking up the sharpness level. I jumped from a K100D to a K-5 II and my sharpening level in LR is now roughly triple what I've had before.
So perhaps I don't need to adjust at all??? Just apply more sharpening in PP?

Does anybody actually get anything useable straight from the camera without having to apply a ton of PP?
06-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Pentaxian

So perhaps I don't need to adjust at all??? Just apply more sharpening in PP?
You can check that by using an AF adjustment chart.

I've compiled some AF adjustment hints, including some pointers to charts with their pros and cons.