Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Used tripod legs

Is this a decent deal? I don't care that it is green...better than shiny chrome. I'm 6'3" so this one doesn't quite reach eye level when standing straight up, but I think it will be okay. I know I'll need to buy a head separately.

BOGEN/MANFROTTO 3221GN GRN 26.3-71.3' $115 w/ free shipping

http://www.keh.com/camera/Tripods-Tripods-Legs/1/sku-TR434018690980?r=FE

Another one I'm looking at is Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT Aluminum Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head
Amazon.com: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT Aluminum Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head: Camera & Photo

Price is right and it has great reviews.

Thoughts? Budget is $200.

06-28-2013, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning,

I was able to find a purchase a used Manfrotto 3001 tripod used off of Craigslist. It came with a head (that I absolutely hated), but I love the legs. The KEH price - especially with free shipping is excellent in my opinion. My set up ran $130, and I sold the 486R2 ballhead for $50 (and ebay had them going for $80). I would go for it, personally. Going for the Manfrotto, would provide a bit more funds for a head.

There are lots of features about the 3001 I like, the weight and especially the flip leg locks. Also, since its 3 section legs, it will be stiffer and induce less wobble (at the expense of being larger and not collapsing down as much as a 4 leg section design).

06-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Do I really need a tripod that can reach to eye level? I ask because there is much less selection in the 75" area.
06-28-2013, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanS Quote
Do I really need a tripod that can reach to eye level? I ask because there is much less selection in the 75" area.
It is very nice to have this. When I bought mine I was having a lot of neck pain so I thought I had to have a tall tripod to avoid crouching. My neck got better but I love having a tall tripod. But also realize eye level is lower than the top of your head, a good ballhead will also add some height, and the viewfinder is not at the bottom of the camera. Although now with a K030 I often use live view on a tripod so I can use focus peaking.

06-28-2013, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

You do and you don't. My tripod doesn't get me to eye level. When I'm shooting landscapes - I tend to compose with live view and zoom in on the lcd to manually focus. In that situation, I don't mind.

Shooting anything, however, through the view finder, is a pain if it is more than a few shots. However, my back appreciates the lighter weight.

If you don't have a need for small and light, I'd go to eye level.
06-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, guys!
06-28-2013, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

If you get a tripod that comes to your shoulders, that will probably be close to eye level once you have a ball head and DSLR on it. That's about where mine come to and then I can take it above my head when extending the center column. That's another thing to watch, make sure the center column locks in nice and solid because it is nice to have that extras reach.
06-29-2013, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Also, having a tripod that goes to eye level is nice since when you are on a slope, it will be closer to your eye. Many people don't like the center post - I don't use mine, I took it out. However, it is nice to have in there if you plan to shoot on a slope.

06-29-2013, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I am 6'3" and have to bend a bit to look through the viewfinder. I don't find is too much of a problem right now - it may get worse as I progress through my "golden" years - I am going on 63.

The camera is going to have about 3" from the base up to the viewfinder, and the head will add probably at least another 3" to 4", so that adds to 6" to 7" and removing that from your 75", brings the top of the tripod down to the 69" area. It all boils down to what you think your personal preference is going to be in using it (and the ding to the checkbook - or funny looks from "she who can't be ingorned").

That said, I am shooting with a K5, and have found that when up on the tripod, that I rarely use the viewfinder, preferring the Liveview, especially with the focus zooming. That even right there even more reduces the need for eye level.

The head is going to really determine the full height - along with the ultimate total co$t.

06-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #10

Original Poster
I have an old Sony tripod with remote control that I bought with a camcorder about 8 years ago. It is cheap and not robust enough for a DSLR, but I pulled it out and realized that I don't need as much height as I thought I did, especially with the ball head that I will eventually get. Now I have more options, which is always a good thing! I appreciate everyone taking the time to give me their perspective
06-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
Here is what I went with from KEH -

MANFROTTO 322RC2 JOYSTICK HEAD SHORT WITH QUICK RELEASE $79.00

BOGEN/MANFROTTO 3021BPRO/055PROB 26-67.7' $105.00

No tax and free shipping.

The tripod max height is six inches below the top of my head. With the ball head and camera I'll be good to go.
06-29-2013, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
It all boils down to what you think your personal preference is going to be in using it (and the ding to the checkbook - or funny looks from "she who can't be ingorned").
The head is going to really determine the full height - along with the ultimate total co$t.
Ain't it the truth!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanS Quote
Here is what I went with from KEH -

MANFROTTO 322RC2 JOYSTICK HEAD SHORT WITH QUICK RELEASE $79.00

BOGEN/MANFROTTO 3021BPRO/055PROB 26-67.7' $105.00

No tax and free shipping.

The tripod max height is six inches below the top of my head. With the ball head and camera I'll be good to go.
It's always good to do a little research, hopefully it will be perfect and give you year of service.
06-29-2013, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

Both nice solid choices. I'm not one for a joystick head but I know a lot of people like them. Plus, you got a good price - any decent tripod under $200 is a great deal.

KEH has a pretty good return policy, if I recall. You could always set it up indoors and shoot things in your home or aim out the window. If you have stairs you could try setting it up there to simulate a slope. I'll bet you are happy though.