Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #76
Forum Member

K-30 Apeture

My K-30 just started having aperture problem.It's usable with all manual lens.With auto lenses,i have to have shutter speed slow to get a photo that is not under
exposed.I Did just Order a K-5IIs.So i am retiring my K-30 to my young nephew who would like to start photography.I am even throwing in an old manual lens for Him.I hope it will be a good learning tool for Him while he can save up to get a better DSLR.And i really hope the K-5IIs will be a good upgrade for me.

08-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds to me that you could be dealing with a known problem with the K-30, the "aperture control block problem." It manifests itself as issues with exposure and battery and the aperture lever not working. Here was my thread when the problem developed for me just a few weeks ago.
Mine was still under extended warranty. I can report that I sent it in to Precision Camera. I experienced excellent communication with them, and they had it back to me in less than 2 weeks. (Read my thread for the directions they gave me.)
I hope your K-30s are still in warranty. I'm not sure how much it would cost otherwise.
08-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #78
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
It sounds to me that you could be dealing with a known problem with the K-30, the "aperture control block problem." It manifests itself as issues with exposure and battery and the aperture lever not working. Here was my thread when the problem developed for me just a few weeks ago.
Mine was still under extended warranty. I can report that I sent it in to Precision Camera. I experienced excellent communication with them, and they had it back to me in less than 2 weeks. (Read my thread for the directions they gave me.)
I hope your K-30s are still in warranty. I'm not sure how much it would cost otherwise.
Thanks for your reply. my camera is a couple years old. a little over 60,000 clicks,So rather than fix,I just got the K-5IIs.I hope it will be worth it.Have had my eye on that camera for a while now.And because of some reviews and what i mainly shoot.I picked that over The K-3. The K-30 still works great with the manual lenses.My nephew will get some knowledge,and find some great shots while He is saving for His 1st new DSLR.He is young,and has keen eye for photography.And He has a real camera store where He lives.I have to travel for one. But maybe they can give Him some advice,clean it, or something to give Him a year or so to learn with it and His manual lens.
08-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i used to have this problem with my k-30, but i removed the lens mount, gave the data pins a few hard flicks and used a blower to flush out any little metal slivers or loose solder or who knows what that may have gotten in there and the problem went away.

08-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #80
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
i used to have this problem with my k-30, but i removed the lens mount, gave the data pins a few hard flicks and used a blower to flush out any little metal slivers or loose solder or who knows what that may have gotten in there and the problem went away.
I will try that! Won't hurt. Thanks

---------- Post added 08-15-15 at 05:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sujo78 Quote
I will try that! Won't hurt. Thanks
Unfortunately..Did not work
09-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #81
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, I've been hammering my K-30 since I bought it four months ago. 8.4k shots (~9k total and 600 on purchase) and no issues yet.
09-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #82

Well my K-30 recently developed the under exposure issue after 36 months and only 3,500 shots. It was purchased in August 2012, so it was one of the early ones. Since sending it out to Precision for repair will cost north of $200 I just ordered a K-50 body to replace it.

Last edited by tvcrider; 10-01-2015 at 09:17 PM.
09-29-2015, 07:24 AM   #83
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvcrider Quote
Well my K-30 recently developed the under exposure issue after 36 months and 3,500 shots. It was purchased in August 2012, so it was one of the early ones. Since sending it out to Precision for repair will cost $200+ I will likely purchase a K-50 body to replace it.
Worked for me, tvcrder (after 3 attempts at repairz failed) I have no doubts that most K-30s are great cameras, but this model does seem to be "prone" to this and if it develops this problem, it's probably not worth paying to fix as it seems difficult to keep fixed.
10-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kodai84 Quote
Worked for me, tvcrder (after 3 attempts at repairz failed) I have no doubts that most K-30s are great cameras, but this model does seem to be "prone" to this and if it develops this problem, it's probably not worth paying to fix as it seems difficult to keep fixed.
Just found this thread and thought I'd add my observations with a similar, if not identical problem (cross-posted):

I had a similar issue (intermittent underexposure) with a recent (used old SMC) DA21 mm lens on my K30 (firmware V1.06), but none of my other lenses (DA 50, DA 35, DA 18-138). This effect was largest when shooting at f/3.2. This particular lens had no problems on a K3 and K-S2 tested in a camera store.
After asking and phoning around, I've concluded it is an aperture control problem related to the body but manifested with only that lens:

My K30 (don't know if other K30 do this) closes down the aperture of any mounted lens to its max aperture, then opens the aperture to specified aperture for each shot (very easy to see on my DA 50 f1.8 lens). In contrast, when pressing the optical preview (Fx), the lens stop down to specified aperture without going to f/22.
The K3 and KS-2 tested did not do the "close-all the way, then open" cycle with each shot.
So it appears that in my case, the aperture blades of the DA 21mm tested did not open fast enough after closing all the way, resulting in underexposure due to the shot being taken at wrong aperture.

(Ricoh/Pentax told me I'd have to send it in for repair, but I don't think it's worth it as my other lenses do fine and this body has 28,000+ shutter actuations)
10-22-2015, 11:29 PM   #85
Forum Member

I bought my K30 August 20th 2013.

A week ago I was taking photos of my family visiting from out of town when I noticed the camera was acting extremely poorly. I had to put my ISO to 6400 to shoot my family members while sun was setting (there was plenty of light). The sky was orange and purple and the sun was reflecting off high rise from NYC.

I thought it was extremely strange that this was happening. I did a test when I got home and I tried to take pictures of my lamp at 100ISO -> 3200ISO. I shot in manual mode with 35mm plastic fantastic lens (which is the fastest lens i own). I set it to aperture 2.4 and shutter speed at 1/40. The photo at 3200 ISO came out dark when the photo should of been blown out.

It fixed itself while I clean the contacts between the body/lens. But the problem returned the next day when I tested it out again. It's not like I keep the camera in storage for months at a time. I take the camera out at least once a month. I've taken at least 6351 photos in the 2 years I've owned it (it's not like I've worn out the mechanisms inside), which is BS that it's already having issues.

I've contacted Pentax about the issue and how it's pretty well known that the aperture motor/sensor or w/e is having issues. I'm waiting on their reply and in hopes that they will make this right. If not I'll be putting up all my Pentax gear on the "for sale" portion of the forums. I'm especially pissed because this is my first DSLR I've ever owned.

It's funny because until this issue came to light, I was 100% sure I'll be a Pentax user for life. Now I'm not sure lol.
10-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexBW Quote
Just found this thread and thought I'd add my observations with a similar, if not identical problem (cross-posted):

I had a similar issue (intermittent underexposure) with a recent (used old SMC) DA21 mm lens on my K30 (firmware V1.06), but none of my other lenses (DA 50, DA 35, DA 18-138). This effect was largest when shooting at f/3.2. This particular lens had no problems on a K3 and K-S2 tested in a camera store.
After asking and phoning around, I've concluded it is an aperture control problem related to the body but manifested with only that lens:

My K30 (don't know if other K30 do this) closes down the aperture of any mounted lens to its max aperture, then opens the aperture to specified aperture for each shot (very easy to see on my DA 50 f1.8 lens). In contrast, when pressing the optical preview (Fx), the lens stop down to specified aperture without going to f/22.
The K3 and KS-2 tested did not do the "close-all the way, then open" cycle with each shot.
So it appears that in my case, the aperture blades of the DA 21mm tested did not open fast enough after closing all the way, resulting in underexposure due to the shot being taken at wrong aperture.

(Ricoh/Pentax told me I'd have to send it in for repair, but I don't think it's worth it as my other lenses do fine and this body has 28,000+ shutter actuations)
If you have a warranty, I would suggest you use it and get the repair done. Mine had a "complete mirror box replacement" done, after similar problems, and after that I have a constant 2 stop difference in metering between LV and OVF. I got a K-5iis while waiting for the K-30 to be repaired, and only use the K-30 when I have a beautiful Sunday, just to test my patience...
10-23-2015, 06:16 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mellowyeahlow Quote
It's funny because until this issue came to light, I was 100% sure I'll be a Pentax user for life. Now I'm not sure lol.
I feel for you. I've used Pentax from about 1980 until now. I'll never recommend the K-30 or the K-50, which is basically the k-30 with a few extras, in a new body, to anyone....but I'll not jump to another brand just because of one bad experience. The other Pentax products I've used over the years, have all been very reliable
10-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #88
Forum Member

Unfortunately warranty on my K30 ended and.... I emailed pentax customer service since this is a WELL known issue on forums.
I can't believe they won't even acknowledge this is an issue which is not cause by users and won't even be honorable enough to fix users having this issue which is THEIR fault.
Eh... if they don't make this right, I'll just have to talk shit about Pentax for the rest of my life.
10-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
If you have a warranty, I would suggest you use it and get the repair done.
I bought my body used, so don't think that will work.

Overall I'm extremely happy with my Pentax camera (second body I've owned) and lenses. But I can't help to get the feeling that there are a bit too many stories about defects (the mirror-flapping of K3, the K3ii freezing etc) that should have been caught and fixed prior to market launch. At least Pentax are innovative, what other brand can boast of 120-color combinations for their DSLR...*sigh*.
10-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #90
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexBW Quote
I bought my body used, so don't think that will work.

Overall I'm extremely happy with my Pentax camera (second body I've owned) and lenses. But I can't help to get the feeling that there are a bit too many stories about defects (the mirror-flapping of K3, the K3ii freezing etc) that should have been caught and fixed prior to market launch. At least Pentax are innovative, what other brand can boast of 120-color combinations for their DSLR...*sigh*.
hahaha

Yeah... I think i'm going to wait until the K30 dies on me. Sell all my lenses and move onto another brand.
It was nice while the Pentax fandom lasted.