Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2016, 11:47 PM   #106
Forum Member

The problem could be the intensive use of live-view

I had this problem with the K30 and the K50.

Never with the K20D, K5, K5II and K5IIs, they were/are built to higher standards and I have heard the same about the K3 (my old K20D and K5 are still working with my sons)

I use the K30/K50 mainly for product photography, often close-ups and/or macro and thus I use live-view quite often.

As far as I understand and what engineers told me, live-view strains the shutter-mechanism quite a lot:
The mirror has to be lifted up all the time live-view is used.

I don't know which kind of magnets are used but if they are electromagnets (coils) then these will age plus they will evidently heat up
during long use which can cause damage. I daubt they use permant-magnets here but I don't know. Maybe somebody can shed some light into
this issue (literally...)

The same strain works on the aparture-control motor when live-view is in use!

All this is based on what I heard after researching those issues. I am not a learned/studied engineer but have enough knowledge and experience that all this makes a lot of sense.

Luckily when those faults happened to my K30 and K50's I still had warranty (2 years in Germany), but I had this problem with 1 x K30 and 2 x K50's! Shuttercount of my Pentax K 30 was around 12.000, K50 No.1 around 400 (!!!), K50 No.2 around 7000 (I got a replacement K50 for No.1 and No.2 held out much longer but I used live-view even more with it than with my first K30.

This problem has to be similar with other manufacturers and... is unlikely to happen with mirrorless cameras such as the K-01: My K-01 has now around 7000 shutter activations without any problems.

I love live-view and particular focus-peaking with close-ups and macro. It also helps a great deal with old manual lenses. So my guess is that the K3 might be the only option if one uses those features a lot. The K3 is said to allow for 300.000 shutter activations, the K5/II/s and K30 for 100.000, no numbers given for the K50/500 (Pentax/Ricoh probably has learned from the K30 faults). I daubt it that the K-S1 or K-S2 are better built than the K30 or K50.

I prefer the grip of the K30/K50 (K30 was superior to the K50) over the K-01, otherwise I would buy a LCD-hood or similar for it and sell my K50, but holding a K50 is just way way more comfortable than holding a K-01.

IMO it was a huge mistake that Pentax/Ricoh did not continue to develop the K-01 and learn from the mistakes they made there. A successor with a viewfinder, 3.2" (swivel-) display, AF and processor of the K5IIs would have been a masterpiece (same for a DSLR of course, I don't need the 24MP of the K3/S-1/S-2). Too bad but so it is.

01-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #107
Veteran Member

I hardly ever used live view on my K30 before the shutterbox gave out. Why would that even have anything to do with it closing the aperture all the way every time a picture is taken anyway?

To me it sounds more like a bad solder connection, especially since some people say it is "fixed" by doing a burst of pictures... which would heat up the connection enough to expand the metal so it would have a good enough connection at least for a while.

That is, until it eventually creates too much carbon deposits on the bad connection and ceases to work altogether.

If it ever happens on my K30 again, since it will most likely be out of extended warranty by then, I will go ahead and open it up and do some research to find out exactly the problem is.

Anybody have a broken K30 they want to send me and I will see if I can fix it? (no promises and also no guarantee that I won't make it worse).
01-27-2016, 01:18 AM   #108
Forum Member

Bad solder connection

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
I hardly ever used live view on my K30 before the shutterbox gave out. Why would that even have anything to do with it closing the aperture all the way every time a picture is taken anyway?

To me it sounds more like a bad solder connection, especially since some people say it is "fixed" by doing a burst of pictures... which would heat up the connection enough to expand the metal so it would have a good enough connection at least for a while.

That is, until it eventually creates too much carbon deposits on the bad connection and ceases to work altogether.

If it ever happens on my K30 again, since it will most likely be out of extended warranty by then, I will go ahead and open it up and do some research to find out exactly the problem is.

Anybody have a broken K30 they want to send me and I will see if I can fix it? (no promises and also no guarantee that I won't make it worse).
Great idea and please post your findings.

After all, what I wrote here was about what I heard and what an experienced engineer (he was really a master) told me, but... alas.... he is gone.
I am not an engineer wand would not trust myself to open a K30 (yet). I haven opened manual lenses, but that's possibly much easier.

So please let me know if you find out what the source of the problem is or could be!
I would then possibly with the next body take on to open it myself, I have repaired other electronics.
01-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #109

Original Poster
My K30 failed at about 12000 images. I almost never used Live View. I still shoot a lot of photos with my K30 but now they are all with old A and M lenses with the aperture ring. Since all of these are manual focus, I now use live view regularly.

02-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #110

I have same issue with k30. Only first photo each time turned on or activation from power save waking. Any help. SettingS are same for each photo. One is black and the other normal. Else all eorks perfectly.
Help pls!
05-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #111

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ossa Quote
I haven't been back to this website in a bit. Thanks for the responses. I tried the rapid shutter actuation thing....that only worked for a few days and then the camera completely died. Only 2700 shutter actuations and it's ready for the waste bin. I decided to just buy a KS-1 - for $179, I'm regarding it as a disposable purchase. I stuck with Pentax out of some misguided sense of brand loyalty- I've owned Pentax products since the 1970's, and recently have purchased some vintage Pentax binoculars for similar nostalgic reasons. I'm infuriated that Pentax/RIcoh in 2015 isn't worthy of such loyalty. They basically have left hundreds if not thousands of K-r, K-30, and K-50 owners in the lurch by continuing to manufacture products with known defective parts. In so far as I can tell from the very friendly Pentax customer service line, the replacement parts that they're repairing your camera with are no different than the parts that have failed. It's just a matter of time and luck as to when they will fail again.

I am planning on starting an online petition to try to shame Pentax into issuing a recall - even though most of these cameras are long out of warranty now. It's inexcusable for a company to either deny a problem exists (as the first customer rep did) when there's abundant evidence online of significant problem, or to downplay it (as the second rep did) and then to inform me that Pentax hasn't issued a recall because there were only a few/isolated failures and the only recourse is to replace the part with the same part that failed- at my expense!
I am going to start another thread on here where K-r, K-30, and K-50 owners can list their cameras, date of purchase, number of shutter actuations til failure, so that we can amass the quality control data that Pentax should have done in the first place.
If there is a significant number of responses- I'll write an online petition calling for a recall of the cameras so the defective parts can be replaced free of charge.
I would gladly sign that petition if there is one I've only had my pentax k 30 for 4 years and I'm experiencing the problem....
05-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #112

This is an issue needing attn from Pentax

Agree, I'd support a global petition. I contacted Pentax in Australia and got no response. I'm thinking of going down to the office to talk with them. Certainly sours the brand experience for me.
05-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #113
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ossa Quote
I haven't been back to this website in a bit. Thanks for the responses. I tried the rapid shutter actuation thing....that only worked for a few days and then the camera completely died. Only 2700 shutter actuations and it's ready for the waste bin. I decided to just buy a KS-1 - for $179, I'm regarding it as a disposable purchase. I stuck with Pentax out of some misguided sense of brand loyalty- I've owned Pentax products since the 1970's, and recently have purchased some vintage Pentax binoculars for similar nostalgic reasons. I'm infuriated that Pentax/RIcoh in 2015 isn't worthy of such loyalty. They basically have left hundreds if not thousands of K-r, K-30, and K-50 owners in the lurch by continuing to manufacture products with known defective parts. In so far as I can tell from the very friendly Pentax customer service line, the replacement parts that they're repairing your camera with are no different than the parts that have failed. It's just a matter of time and luck as to when they will fail again.

I am planning on starting an online petition to try to shame Pentax into issuing a recall - even though most of these cameras are long out of warranty now. It's inexcusable for a company to either deny a problem exists (as the first customer rep did) when there's abundant evidence online of significant problem, or to downplay it (as the second rep did) and then to inform me that Pentax hasn't issued a recall because there were only a few/isolated failures and the only recourse is to replace the part with the same part that failed- at my expense!
I am going to start another thread on here where K-r, K-30, and K-50 owners can list their cameras, date of purchase, number of shutter actuations til failure, so that we can amass the quality control data that Pentax should have done in the first place.
If there is a significant number of responses- I'll write an online petition calling for a recall of the cameras so the defective parts can be replaced free of charge.
i agree with you lets shame them into doing the right thing

05-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by 2her0ck Quote
Hi,

Looks like my K-30 has started having the same problem and its out of Warranty. I cant afford a repair or a new camera right now, so have no choice but to keep using it.

I only have 3 questions:

1. Can I keep using the Camera with a manual focus lens?

2. Will the issue in the camera become worse overtime or make it unusable?

3. Is there a way to fix the camera myself? I tried searching the web to find any instructions on repairing it but was not able to find anything.

Thank you,

1. The problem won't or shouldn't affect lenses with an aperture ring at all as long as the ring isn't set to 'A'. That was one of the ways i tested it to confirm it was the 'aperture motor' issue.

2. It will eventually get worse. Usually when starting the camera I would do a quick burst of 5-6 pictures and the aperture control would work until I shut the camera off. Now I get about 10 minutes of use out of it before I have to repeat the procedure.

3. Highly unlikely. It requires a new part and as a 'fix it' guy cameras are VERY difficult to get apart and back together in working order.

T
06-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #115

Does anyone believe that Pentax Australia will attend to this repair for free? seems to me, from reading the web, that this is an inherent fault. The lack of response from them would appear to admit guilt to me.
06-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #116
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smart770 Quote
Does anyone believe that Pentax Australia will attend to this repair for free? seems to me, from reading the web, that this is an inherent fault. The lack of response from them would appear to admit guilt to me.
No I guess they consider this a throw away camera ,so when it breaks it is tough luck charlie if you are out of warrantee.Seems to me if they gave a hoot the would offer a three year guarantee to fix free of charge .This is why I heard one Professional Photographer say he would never contemplate using Pentax.
06-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #117

is there a known fix for this and at roughly what cost? Will Pentax pick up the bill given it seems to be a global issue?
Anyone??
06-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #118
Site Supporter

I did buy a new camera rather than repair mine. Here are the prices from Sun Camera Service in Canada: 41$ for the part, 160$ for service and 25$ handling: total: 226$ CAD before taxes. I tried to buy the part and the told that they cannot sell only the part. If I was sure that the new part would be a revised one, I would have repaired the camera.
06-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #119
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperSyx Quote
I did buy a new camera rather than repair mine. Here are the prices from Sun Camera Service in Canada: 41$ for the part, 160$ for service and 25$ handling: total: 226$ CAD before taxes. I tried to buy the part and the told that they cannot sell only the part. If I was sure that the new part would be a revised one, I would have repaired the camera.
It is usually the mirror motor, and not so easy to get out
06-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #120
Site Supporter

That quote was for the replacement of the aperture control block. Missing detail.