Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #121
JPE

QuoteOriginally posted by smart770 Quote
is there a known fix for this and at roughly what cost? Will Pentax pick up the bill given it seems to be a global issue?
Anyone??
No idea smart770. I discovered I am another of the unfortunate many when my k30 failed just as described 2 weeks ago.
I purchased an "Extended Care package" from a major retailer in Melbourne and am still awaiting a reply from them and Pentax/Ricoh Australia.
Quite frankly if a k50 were offered as an upgrade i would balk at the concept.
Problem is I LOVE my 18-135 WR and can't bear to sell it off.

07-07-2016, 01:51 AM   #122

Suggest you contact Pentax HQ in Melb and see what comes of it. I went there. Good luck.
07-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #123
JPE

QuoteOriginally posted by smart770 Quote
Suggest you contact Pentax HQ in Melb and see what comes of it. I went there. Good luck.
Indeed. The silence has been deafening.
The retail outlet however was quite surprised as they claim to have never come across this problem.
We'll wait.
07-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #124
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPE Quote
No idea smart770. I discovered I am another of the unfortunate many when my k30 failed just as described 2 weeks ago.
I purchased an "Extended Care package" from a major retailer in Melbourne and am still awaiting a reply from them and Pentax/Ricoh Australia.
Quite frankly if a k50 were offered as an upgrade i would balk at the concept.
Problem is I LOVE my 18-135 WR and can't bear to sell it off.
I love my Pentax. It's my first SLR and I've had mine since 2012-2013. Got about a good 8000 shutter count. I've had this issue for about a year now. This actually happened to me just a few months after my warranty was up.

Your only option to keep the 18-135 WR is to upgrade to a K3 or a K5.

07-21-2016, 03:56 AM   #125

QuoteOriginally posted by mellowyeahlow Quote
I love my Pentax. It's my first SLR and I've had mine since 2012-2013. Got about a good 8000 shutter count. I've had this issue for about a year now. This actually happened to me just a few months after my warranty was up.

Your only option to keep the 18-135 WR is to upgrade to a K3 or a K5.
take it back to Pentax and complain. They should fix it. It's their brand. Good luck.
08-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #126
JPE

Diaphragm control unit

Indeed Pentax did fix the issue - a new diaphragm control unit/box.
Lucky for me it fell under the retailer's extended warranty.
Unluckily it looks like the replacement part was typical k30 or k50 - here's not hoping for a repeat performance.
12-23-2016, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I found this, it looks like a reasonable solution.

Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair
03-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #128

Repair service feedback?

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I found this, it looks like a reasonable solution.

Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair

Can anyone provide feedback on the cited repair service?

03-31-2017, 10:07 AM   #129
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvcrider Quote
Can anyone provide feedback on the cited repair service?
I hope to be able to comment sometime soon.

I like my K-x but I WANT my K-30 fixed!

LOL
04-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #130

Hi,
my Pentax K-30 also started to having this problem recently. I bought the cam 16.5.2013. I don't know shutter actuations (can I read it somewhere in debug menu?) I only rougly guess ~30k but I think it's not relevant to apperture motor anyway. Just to say it's not an early failure like some other users describe - failure after 3-5k shots is really poor but those may have a warrany, mine is gone...
In my case the problem started some months ago and shows very rare. It was always only one underexposured image when I made 1st shot in that day. During day all other photos was fine. But it happened maybe once or twice per month so I didn't take a care and though that it was due to change lens or so. But during time it occured more soon. Last week it get rapidly worse so I started googling and found this thread. I readed about repairs and how they are costy. I wonder they replace whole mirror mechanic and not only the motor. Nobody of you or somebody else tried to open the camera and looked what is really happened there and if it can be fixed? Is there available new part to buy and replace myslef? Is known the exact reason of the failure?
It may be the motor itself - if it is common comutator DC motor it just happen that carbon comutator is brushed and motor lost the power. If it is brushless motor it should last much longer. I have some very small motor so maybe can be replaced if fits. Also it may be, and I suspect that, some stupid plastic gear for few cents that weared out. It would be problem to find exact the same gear then...
As temporal solutution I tried to clean the lever and surrounding mechanics with isopropyl alcohol and the problem is gone - I mean it didn't appeared yet within 3 days but I never know when it appears again. I didn't opened it yet but I'm going to do it because I have nothing to loose. The cam is quite old and weared (but the features and image quality are still fine) the real price is below repair cost. Even it takes very long time and I will need to be ready on upcomming trip...
BTW I'm happy that I did not sell my old Canon EOS 350D, it served me 6 years well before and now I can use it as a backup camera but I have no more canon lens than set 18-55mm.
The question is what to buy next? As I read K-50 suffers the same problem. I can buy one from second hand for good price including some warranty remain but it can die soon after warranty ends. Does anybody know about this issue on new K-70? It seems to be a different construction. Maybe K-3 but it's more heavier and maybe bigger and it's already obsolete now. K-3 II is missing the integrated flash that I don't use much often but it's valuable for me sometimes and I don't want to buy and take ext. flash...

Last edited by RayeR; 04-27-2017 at 04:48 PM.
04-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #131

To fix the problem, you need to take the camera back to Pentax to fix. They are aware of the problem I understand.
You'll need to put on a good story to get it fixed for free and also hope that you catch someone who is sympathetic to your situation.
It is fixable though.
05-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #132

Haven't read all the posts but this is a well known problem with K-30, K-50 and possibly other models. The problem is the solenoid inside the camera that controls the iris diaphragm. It apparently gets sticky and doesn't actuate the iris diaphragm correctly. Search the web for K-30/K-50 exposure problem and you find numerous youtube videos and related posts. Search PentaxCameraRepair fo a guy that will fix it for $100. Good Luck
06-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #133

After cleaning the lever with IPA it worked without problem for ~1 month. Thankfully I was able to take ~4000 more shots during my trips on Ukraine, Slovenia and some weekends (BTW my total shot count is 33500 according to EXIF). During the last days the problem appeared again with much faster progress. It started as usual with one black frame after power-on the camera but after a few more days I had serious problem to unblock the apperture even with sequential shots or liveview switching. Then it finally get stuck all the time. Because I was on the way I made a simple & quick hack - I put a piece of folded paper behind the lens lever to limit the max. aperture to ~f/8 (instead of f/22). It was quite acceptable solution for me because I shot mostly the landscapes and exteriors during this summer sunny days where I mostly use f/8 because of my 17-70 IF SDM has good sharpness in this range...

In our country there's one Pentax service that do this repair for 130$ - that's about a half of price of this used body. Unfortunatelly I read some bad stories that even after the authorized repair the problem appeared again after some months! So it seems they replace it with old faulty component in some cases. I saw the statistics in article Pentax Aperture Block Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com and it unfortunatelly affects more camera models. But there's no reference about K-70. Is there any positive case of failure? I know, it's new yet...
I didn't have time to disassemble the cam myself because it's very time consuming but I'm going to do it because I'm curious about it. I found some reference on russian forum where they was trying to repair it with some photodocumentation of the process...

EDIT: I found other interesting repair threads on this forum, I think it shuld be linked in 1st post, it's pitty that the useful informations are scattered around the forum...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/321871-k-30-k-50-ape...available.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/340762-k-50-k-500-a...-diy-pics.html
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9300  Photo 

Last edited by RayeR; 06-13-2017 at 03:41 AM.