Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2013, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery
Howdy,

I've noticed this issue myself. I guess it's time to contact Support. Aperture motor failing would make sense because whenever this happens, I hear a weak click before the shutter opens/closes.

07-26-2013, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Albums
Oh wow this looks like an epidemic. I just sent my K-30 in for repairs for the exact same reason. It wasn't even a year old. So much for "rugged and reliable" Pentax...
08-02-2013, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #18

I have got response from service. Whole shutter-mirror-aperture mechanic needs to be replaced. Since I don't have warranty, it will cost over half price of the body :/
08-06-2013, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #19

Mine just came back from service. The whole body was replaced under warranty.

08-06-2013, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it possible that it might be a problem with some of the initial batch of K-30's? It might be good if everyone with similar problems can add their serial numbers and date of purchase, to try and establish a pattern.
I bought my K-30 in November 2012, have about 12000 actuations, and don't have any problems at the moment. My serial nr 4370406.
08-18-2013, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
This seems to be a pretty widespread problem. Here is another thread dealing with the same issue and the same apparent fix.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/227894-...exposures.html
Mike
08-18-2013, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by qwertyazerty Quote
Oh wow this looks like an epidemic. I just sent my K-30 in for repairs for the exact same reason. It wasn't even a year old. So much for "rugged and reliable" Pentax...
Defect rate (according to Consumer Reports) is same or better than most of the other brands, though that is not saying much. This is true for even the pro-level Nikon and Canon product.

Steve

10-30-2013, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #23

altopiet, mine was purchased new from B&H in February 2013 and I'm having this exact problem. After 20 years of shooting film in manual cameras, I thought these random underexposures were my own doing somehow because I didn't understand fancy DSLR metering (even though I've metered on film sets forever, I somehow thought I was doing something wrong...).

Anyone that has sent there K-30 in for this service, can you report on the turnaround time? I was quoted up to 5 weeks by the guy at the repair facility today (super nice guy but 5 weeks is insane).
10-31-2013, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the UK it took 4 weeks and a unholy row to get mine back under warranty and I use it as a second body as a full time pro, I had to send a very forceful email to the Ricoh-Pentax CEO to get them moving. They replaced the main board so it came back as a new camera electronically
10-31-2013, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I'm over 20K clicks, no problems, but nearly out of warranty, so holding thumbs...
11-04-2013, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #26

Hi
I have exactly the same problem.
I am now on vocation in Korea , so I shoot a lot.
Once in 4-5 days I have few hours of this problem.(dark images with the same exif) the only bypass I found is using high speed mode . Usually the first photo in the series turns out to be dark while the following are ok. After few hours of shooting the problem goes away. I think I hear strange sound when those dark images are shot.
I consider visiting the service here in busan but how can I report problem which is random with low rate of ocurances ? Have any of you had this problem solved by simple means? Clening contacts ,firmware etc (just before I go to the service)
11-04-2013, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by levin1982 Quote
Hi
I have exactly the same problem.
I am now on vocation in Korea , so I shoot a lot.
Once in 4-5 days I have few hours of this problem.(dark images with the same exif) the only bypass I found is using high speed mode . Usually the first photo in the series turns out to be dark while the following are ok. After few hours of shooting the problem goes away. I think I hear strange sound when those dark images are shot.
I consider visiting the service here in busan but how can I report problem which is random with low rate of ocurances ? Have any of you had this problem solved by simple means? Clening contacts ,firmware etc (just before I go to the service)
How many clicks do you have on the camera and after how many clicks did the problem start?
11-04-2013, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
How many clicks do you have on the camera and after how many clicks did the problem start?
Hi
I am not sure regarding the counter when the problem has just started.
The current EXIF shows

Manufature Date2012:08:03
Shutter Count9,870

What do you think ?
11-04-2013, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by levin1982 Quote
Hi
I am not sure regarding the counter when the problem has just started.
The current EXIF shows

Manufature Date2012:08:03
Shutter Count9,870

What do you think ?
I'm trying to figure out if it is a bad batch, and from which period (serial nr...manufacture date), more or less. As I've already said, I have over 20K clicks, mostly shot High continuous sport shots, of which over 5K clicks was in one day, and no problems so far. You are at about 10K clicks and the problem only starting now... Seeing that I hammered mine a bit in the year since I've bought it, and it's still going, I hope that mine is from a "good batch". It would be interesting to get such info from other users, because it might help in the end with proof for warranty repairs, seeing that it seems to be not a very consistent problem. On mine I've only got another month on warranty, but unfortunately the next 2 months won't see me using it much, so my luck might run out if the same problem arises with mine...
11-09-2013, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #30

Hi

I aproached repair shop with this problem, but they just fail to reproduce . so i got my camera back with no work done on it.

Any ideas what can i do?

It seems my problem happens only when i use battery which was charged overnight