Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I'll have to wait for parts from Japan before the fix, which might take another few weeks, I decided to get some company for my K-x, and today received my new K-5IIs, now to get a good chance to rip through 5000 images a day, and see how it holds up

04-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #47

Double warranty possibility

I bought my K-30 in Sept. 2012, Ser. No. 4372308, almost 14,000 shots. Now, most of the first shots are underexposed, especially when the camera hasn't been used for a little while. The problem can be seen when using optical preview (assigned to the RAW/FX button): the aperture gets stopped down more than it should. This morning, with the camera and lens outside and colder than usual, it took several shots before the problem went away.

The motion of mounting the lens on the body opens up the spring-loaded aperture all the way. When a picture is taken, the camera allows the aperture to close a certain amount. I don't know how the camera actually does this, but since the natural tendency of the aperture is to close all the way, I can imagine the camera moving a stop to adjust how far the aperture closes. If the motor adjusting this stop is malfunctioning, then it will allow the aperture to close farther than it should.

The credit card I used for the purchase doubles the manufacturer's warranty, so I may try for a warranty repair.
06-12-2014, 02:37 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Just an update, after 12 weeks, I finally received my K-30 back from repairs, haven't tested it yet, but repairs done...
"Dismantled camera to replace mirror box unit, recalibrated, checked and tested"
I thought it might be aperture motor, but I'll see how it goes as soon as I get a chance...
06-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #49

Repaired and working again

CRIS repaired my K-30 by replacing the aperture control motor, and my credit card paid for it under the extended warranty program. Being short on time, I had the camera repaired then submitted the invoice for reimbursement.

08-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does anyone know if this is a problem with the K50, or has it been resolved?
08-28-2014, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Does anyone know if this is a problem with the K50, or has it been resolved?
To be honest I don't know, but you don't see much complaints on the forum about the K-50, which IMO is an indication that it is more reliable than the K-30. People are very quick to bring defects to other users attention.... and if I had to pick again and the K-50 were in production at that stage, I would've picked the K-50 and not the K-30
04-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #52
Forum Member

My K-30 just went back to the shop, 2nd time in 5 months for this issue. Tech explained to me that it's not the aperture motor, but magnets inside that work the aperture that get "dirty" (oil+dirt) and then randomly "stick". (The symptom is that the camera mechanically stops down to a much higher aperture than selected, one can see this in the clear dust-specs on the sensor, if any, in a low f# photo, as if one had used a high f#.) He cleaned it all up 1st time & it worked fine for 5 months, said will clean extra-meticulously this time (and check everything else). Said it happens regularly with this model but I'm first one to have it happen TWICE (I have the best luck of anyone I know). All I know is that this is strike 2, if it happens again, I'm likely throwin' it against a brick wall & buyin' a new, different camera. Should I go w/a K-50, a 5 IIs or a K-3? This lemon? is <2 yrs old.

04-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by kodai84 Quote
My K-30 just went back to the shop, 2nd time in 5 months for this issue. Tech explained to me that it's not the aperture motor, but magnets inside that work the aperture that get "dirty" (oil+dirt) and then randomly "stick". (The symptom is that the camera mechanically stops down to a much higher aperture than selected, one can see this in the clear dust-specs on the sensor, if any, in a low f# photo, as if one had used a high f#.) He cleaned it all up 1st time & it worked fine for 5 months, said will clean extra-meticulously this time (and check everything else). Said it happens regularly with this model but I'm first one to have it happen TWICE (I have the best luck of anyone I know). All I know is that this is strike 2, if it happens again, I'm likely throwin' it against a brick wall & buyin' a new, different camera. Should I go w/a K-50, a 5 IIs or a K-3? This lemon? is <2 yrs old.
Sorry about your bad luck. I thought our K-30's were weather/dust sealed. How are these magnets getting dirty?
04-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #54
Forum Member

I shoot primes, so I change lenses aLOT!
04-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Should I go w/a K-50, a 5 IIs or a K-3?
To my knowledge, K50 suffers from the same issue. The decision between the other two I'll leave up to you
04-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Should I go w/a K-50, a 5 IIs or a K-3?
The K3 and K5 cameras have a different shutter and aperture mechanism so they are apparently more robust. I'd go for the K3 !
04-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #57

I am so depressed about this, as most of my shots are now randomly under exposed due to this problem. I noticed it during the first year of use, but it was only happening about 10% of the time and I chocked it up to my newness to DSLRs. 2.5 yrs later, now I know better, since wrapping up my degree at UNG. I'm almost willing to take it apart myself to clean, but based on what others are saying, this is truly a known defect and premature part failure. Even worse, my professional comrades are ribbing me for going with Pentax. I only wish I could prove them wrong. Who's to say this repair won't be needed again in 10k actuations? Should I have went with Nikon/Canon?
04-16-2015, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DoYouKnowJack Quote
Should I have went with Nikon/Canon?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Sorry you had this problem, though I am not sure that you made a mistake. The serious defect and failure rate for dSLR cameras is similar to that for personal computers and televisions and other consumer electronics. According to Consumer Reports the defect rate for dSLRs goes like this:
  • Canon - 4%
  • Sony - 4%
  • Nikon- 6%
Pentax is not currently listed due to small sample size, though it should be noted that CR is very good for flagging brands or models with poor reliability. In their current listing the K-3 and K-S1 are recommended with the K-50 and K500 listed as best buys. (The K-S2 is too new for inclusion.)

Back to the numbers...What this means is that one out of every 25 Canon dSLR going out the door at Costco, Best Buy, B&H, or Adorama will require repair or replacement. For Nikon the rate is one of every 17 dSLRs. Several years ago when Pentax was still in the evaluated list the serious fault rate was 3%, better than both Canon and Nikon.

An failure/fault rate of 4-6% is unacceptable in my opinion, but it appears to be the industry standard for acceptable rate of returns. If the user is lucky, the fault will be discovered while the camera is still on warranty. If not, it is most unfortunate since repair is usually close to the cost of replacement. In the U.S., Ricoh/Pentax offers a two-year extension to the factory warranty at a very reasonable price of about $25. I always suggest that purchasers add the extended warranty if offered.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-16-2015 at 08:25 PM.
04-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #59

I'm ready to get rid of my K30! I sent it back last year for this problem and it worked fine for almost a year. Now it's doing the same thing again and I just bought a couple new lenses to use with it! This was my first Pentax and now I'm wishing I had gone with a Nikon or Canon.
04-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #60
Forum Member

*MY* K-30 is a POS, it has failed AGAIN (STRIKE THREE) with this issue after TWO cleanings/repairs to the "aperture control system" magnets. This time after <1 week. The camera ls <2 yrs OLD. I'm really considering a K-50. The K-3 is tempting, but heavier and more expen$ive. Weight is important to me as I still miss the lightness of my K-x. Does anyone know if it's more reliable or have a better suggestion? Shame too as I love this camera and it's features, but I apparently got a Fsckin' LEMMON!